Gas can hire for Motorhome

e2p2

We're coming from abroad and looking to hire 2 Motorhomes for 2 family. The company that we're closing the deal with is providing  just 1 gas can per Motorhome and we cant hire a spare one from them. Our friends who are newbies are a family of 6 (5 of them are females) so I asume 1 gas can won't be enough for them to use the water heater for showers everyday (along with the fridge and cooking and maybe even using the air-heater as they have 3 young kids).

If I remember correctly you cant just go in and out of the East Campervan to refill gas. Does anyone know a place we can hire a gas can on the way to the festival? Or any other idea?

35 minutes ago, e2p2 said:

We're coming from abroad and looking to hire 2 Motorhomes for 2 family. The company that we're closing the deal with is providing  just 1 gas can per Motorhome and we cant hire a spare one from them. Our friends who are newbies are a family of 6 (5 of them are females) so I asume 1 gas can won't be enough for them to use the water heater for showers everyday (along with the fridge and cooking and maybe even using the air-heater as they have 3 young kids).

If I remember correctly you cant just go in and out of the East Campervan to refill gas. Does anyone know a place we can hire a gas can on the way to the festival? Or any other idea?

The challenge is that it is the cannister that costs the money... Normal practice (for an owner) would be to buy a full cannister initially and then when it is empty you can swap it for a full cannister of the same size for a smaller price (you are then just buying gas). But if you do that all you are really doing is buying a gas cannister for the rental company..

I am a little surprised that the rental company dont offer this tbh... 1. They should have good access to gas (as long as they have multiple motorhomes) 2. It would be a nice earner (charge people £50/£100(?) for something that may not be used..

I would go back to the rental company and ask what they would charge... even if it is a private (single) rental it would be easier for them to get it, you just need to make it worth their while

As an aside... I would get cracking on the hiring if I were you. It is a popular choice and prices for Glastonbury week are at a premium...

Also, I assume that you already have tickets (including campervan tickets).?

Lastly, I would strongly consider arriving on the Tuesday The festival gates dont open until Wednesday but it is a lovely atmosphere in the CV fields on Tuesday - Particularly in CV-East where you can sit on the hill in the evening and look over the whole site before it opens, the sense of anticipation is magical!

4 hours ago, BlueDaze said:

The challenge is that it is the cannister that costs the money... Normal practice (for an owner) would be to buy a full cannister initially and then when it is empty you can swap it for a full cannister of the same size for a smaller price (you are then just buying gas). But if you do that all you are really doing is buying a gas cannister for the rental company..

I am a little surprised that the rental company dont offer this tbh... 1. They should have good access to gas (as long as they have multiple motorhomes) 2. It would be a nice earner (charge people £50/£100(?) for something that may not be used..

I would go back to the rental company and ask what they would charge... even if it is a private (single) rental it would be easier for them to get it, you just need to make it worth their while

As an aside... I would get cracking on the hiring if I were you. It is a popular choice and prices for Glastonbury week are at a premium...

Also, I assume that you already have tickets (including campervan tickets).?

Lastly, I would strongly consider arriving on the Tuesday The festival gates dont open until Wednesday but it is a lovely atmosphere in the CV fields on Tuesday - Particularly in CV-East where you can sit on the hill in the evening and look over the whole site before it opens, the sense of anticipation is magical!

Yeah we have festival and East Campervan tickets and also hired motorhome last festivaI and intend to go on Tuesday (though we tried to do the same last year but somehow getting from London took us 7 hours, got to the festival at 2am). This is the first time for our friends (the family of six) and I feel responsible for their experience and Im really afraid one cannister won't suffice.

If there's no place we can hire a cannister, how much does it cost to buy one in England? Is there a place to buy one in the festival area?

Festival Gas supply a lot of outdoor events, including Glastonbury, however they may only provide a replacement gas cylinder service for the food vendors onsite, which no doubt keeps them busy. No harm in asking though to see if they would deliver to the campervan fields.

Here's their website: WE BRING THE HEAT - Festival Gas

Edited by Chas

3 minutes ago, Chas said:

Festival Gas supply a lot of outdoor events, including Glastonbury, however they may only provide a replacement gas cylinder service for the food vendors onsite, which no doubt keeps them busy. No harm in asking though to see if they would deliver to the campervan fields.

Here's their website: WE BRING THE HEAT - Festival Gas

I've seen them deliver to non-food stalls in Green crafts

10 minutes ago, BlueDaze said:

wow.. thats quite the knowledge... Assume they mostly cater for the food vans and are out and about early doors.? 

They also supply market traders. They are normally driving thru the markets around 9am.

10 hours ago, BlueDaze said:

could be a great option....

as long as you dont mind lugging a full gas bottle up the HoD to CV East...  

i believe the gas van drives round the cv fields too.

Yes, the gas man does do the camperfields.

In all fairness, unless running the heating everyday, a full canister 6kg or larger should be sufficient to last a family for the duration of the festival. If showering, once a day (even a navy shower) isn't realistic. You'll get tired of filling/emptying water long before the gas runs out 😉

Edited by Nice hymer
add details

I don't want to run their festival, but if they limit the shower duration (navy shower) and wear layers/fleeces instead of heating, I'm convinced 1 canister will be enough. With Glastonbury and showers for 4, and then Winter weekends with heating for 2, I've never used a full tank. That also saves you time and worry getting another canister.

Edited by carlosj

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2023 at 1:05 PM, e2p2 said:

I think the question that you need to ask your hire company is what size the gas cylinder is and will it be full? Calor Gas which is the most popular one in the UK comes in a variety of sizes of both butane and propane starting at 4.5kg. Without this information you can't speculate how much you need. 😃

• Upvote 1