The Killers

Back after a decade-and-a-half, and to a vastly changed audience - but struggle to think The Killers will be anything but one of the larger successes of the weekend. Even those who will merely rock up to hear Mr. Brightside will likely discover a few more bops than they thought.

For a band fresh off stadiums here now, they modulated and shortened their sets appropriately across Europe over the summer; could easily see them clock in with shy of a dozen-and-a-half songs in a tight eighty-minute set with very little filler.

1 Jenny Was a Friend of Mine
2 Somebody Told Me
3 Spaceman
4 Shot at the Night
5 Boy
6 Human
7 In the Car Outside
8 Smile Like You Mean It
9 The Man
10 Shadowplay
11 Runaways
12 Read My Mind
13 All These Things That I've Done
14 Caution (w/ Rut intro)
15 When You Were Young
16 Mr. Brightside

That would mostly play gangbusters. Any concurring or conflicting opinions?

If they get the full ninety minutes, can see them tossing a couple of others in there - likely For Reasons Unknown and A Dustland Fairytale. With material from Battle Born onwards, they've been quite gleefully dismissive at festival or bigger shows; they clearly know where their bread is buttered, particularly in regards to neutrals.

Could cook up an eighteen-song run that would swap out a slew of big 'uns, but imagine it could land with something of a splat unless well-balanced.

2 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Back after a decade-and-a-half, and to a vastly changed audience - but struggle to think The Killers will be anything but one of the larger successes of the weekend. Even those who will merely rock up to hear Mr. Brightside will likely discover a few more bops than they thought.

For a band fresh off stadiums here now, they modulated and shortened their sets appropriately across Europe over the summer; could easily see them clock in with shy of a dozen-and-a-half songs in a tight eighty-minute set with very little filler.

1 Jenny Was a Friend of Mine
2 Somebody Told Me
3 Spaceman
4 Shot at the Night
5 Boy
6 Human
7 In the Car Outside
8 Smile Like You Mean It
9 The Man
10 Shadowplay
11 Runaways
12 Read My Mind
13 All These Things That I've Done
14 Caution (w/ Rut intro)
15 When You Were Young
16 Mr. Brightside

That would mostly play gangbusters. Any concurring or conflicting opinions?

Unreal setlist. Wish they'd drop the Shadowplay cover mind you - they have an endless number of belters they could play to please a festival crowd. Pop Bling in there instead

41 minutes ago, wro_lap said:

Unreal setlist. Wish they'd drop the Shadowplay cover mind you - they have an endless number of belters they could play to please a festival crowd. Pop Bling in there instead

Bling popped up at Glastonbury the other year, didn't it? Very good chance it does.

To throw out the dream - because why not? - I'd love for:

Sam's Town
When You Were Young
Somebody Told Me
Shot at the Night
Sleepwalker
Smile Like You Mean It
My God
Run for Cover
Jenny Was a Friend of Mine
Runaways
Caution
Why Do I Keep Counting?
This Is Your Life
Battle Born
Human
Mr. Brightside

But that would be the definition of DOA. Apparently I'm too much of a fan of the big closing songs from records (and despite being a firm fan of the band at large, I could quite happily go without All These Things That I've Done and Read My Mind for the rest of my life, oddly.)

My Own Soul's Warning

Enterlude

When You Were Young

Somebody Told Me

Shot At The Night

The Way It Was

Smile Like You Mean It

Bling

Runaways

Read My Mind

For Reasons Unknown

Glamorous Indie Rock N Roll

All These Things That I've Done

The Man

Caution

Human

Mr Brightside

Let them play for three hours, Melvin!

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, wro_lap said:

Seems to drop in and out from what I've seen. Was played as a regular on the UK tour, but then dropped for their US and Australian runs.

6 hours ago, charlierc said:

Will we ever get a headliner allowed to do more than 90 mins again? Feels like this new set-up is oriented around having 2 acts doing 90-long sets on the MSW/MSE combo.

definitely - especially if up against a newer (short set) act. Hardly any acts even do >90 minute sets anyway and those that do are becoming less and less on R&L's radar anyway.

Who would you want booked that do >90 minutes regularly? Other than foos and maybe muse i can't think of anyone. RHCP?

Edited by gfa

4 hours ago, gfa said:

definitely - especially if up against a newer (short set) act. Hardly any acts even do >90 minute sets anyway and those that do are becoming less and less on R&L's radar anyway.

Who would you want booked that do >90 minutes regularly? Other than foos and maybe muse i can't think of anyone. RHCP?

I would've thought Green Day but I think their Hella Mega shows were closer to 90. Though a few sideshows seem to pop over that.

Muse's last Reading set did clock in at 90 in fairness, although their 2011 set and most of their own big shows reach 2 hours. Chili Peppers I assumed were a 90-and-out act.