Cala Mijas 2023

gfa

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

Mixed feelings about the festival.

A nice crowd, some excellent bookings and good sound.

Undone by it taking too long to get there and the site was a bit dull. And needed an extra stage to add a bit more choice (especially for day 3 lineup which was a bit crap).

I really enjoyed it. Never had to wait for a bus from the campsite or back at all. Nice friendly people everywhere. Some great gigs too. Saturday was obviously way weaker in terms of line-up, but still plenty to see. Only negative for me was the bar service. Way understaffed, but that's a small complaint. 

2 hours ago, xxialac said:

Mixed feelings about the festival.

A nice crowd, some excellent bookings and good sound.

Undone by it taking too long to get there and the site was a bit dull. And needed an extra stage to add a bit more choice (especially for day 3 lineup which was a bit crap).

Too long to get to from where? Buses from Fuengirola were sharp, night buses worked a treat, couple of beers from the beach (via Aldi) to the site was all good.

28 minutes ago, gingerevans84 said:

Too long to get to from where? Buses from Fuengirola were sharp, night buses worked a treat, couple of beers from the beach (via Aldi) to the site was all good.

Think I messed up then in fairness. Never could work out where the buses in Fuengirola went from (I read from the Recinto but on the first day they were fully booked and on second day there werent and from there) or how to catch the nightbus back.

3 hour delay at airport so compiled my thoughts…

Really enjoyed the festival - did Kalorama last year and was up for mixing it up, so was initially a bit put out that Lisbon got the better line up but definitely got value for my £90 ticket. Yeah site wasn’t very exciting (reminded me of Beni with the dusty gravel) but all worked ok logistically and the acts/production was good. Agree an extra DJ tent or stage wouldn’t have hurt, the dance stage was often a bit too leftfield when you just want an hour of something vaguely familiar between acts.

Wasn’t thrilled with the line up but really impressed by Arcade Fire and ended the weekend on stage with Belle & Sebastian. 😎 Again, solid value for the money where £90 would have got you a day ticket for APE/BST.

Initially booked an apartment in Cala Mijas but glad I cancelled that and saved £250 on one in Fuengirola. Figured we’d have to have a mare with taxis not to justify the cost saving but worked out just over €100 in total on the 6 Uber/Bolts we got back and forth for festival and didn’t have to wait more than 10 minutes for one at any point. Was worth being in Fuengirola with more to do when it was overcast Sunday and more food/bar options generally.

Was chatting if we’d do Kalorama or Cala Mijas again next year, reckon I’d wait on line ups rather than blind book either. Also said if people were after recommendations I’d tell them to do Kalorama if they’ve not checked out Lisbon before but I’d probably be swayed by Cala Mijas for the beach holiday personally having been to Lisbon a lot (but could be swung by the better line up option), both good options to end the Summer either way.

• Upvote 2

Just back yesterday as stayed on in Los Amigos Beach Club. 

Had an amazing time 2nd time.I actually really loved the site of the festival. 

The organisation of the festivals from Last Tour will bring me back every time. If you haven't been to BBK Live it's worth checking out next year also.

• Upvote 1

First time going this year. 

Thought it was a well run little festival. Queues for entry on the first night were quite horrific but had none of the issues the second and third night. Bolts were easy to get to/from the festival. 

Pints were a little on the expensive side (10 euro for 75cl), however was easy enough to sneak in alcohol. 

Thought the mainly Spanish crowd were superb and friendly and the atmosphere for Underworld and Arcade Fire was brilliant.

Only drawback I think is the lack of maybe a second dance stage playing more 'popular' dance music. I do enjoy techno and underground but sometimes you wanna hear something to sing along to once the main stage has finished.

If they pull out a similar line up next year I'm sure I'll be back!

On 9/11/2023 at 4:05 PM, GmasterWomble said:

First time going this year. 

Thought it was a well run little festival. Queues for entry on the first night were quite horrific but had none of the issues the second and third night. Bolts were easy to get to/from the festival. 

Pints were a little on the expensive side (10 euro for 75cl), however was easy enough to sneak in alcohol. 

Thought the mainly Spanish crowd were superb and friendly and the atmosphere for Underworld and Arcade Fire was brilliant.

Only drawback I think is the lack of maybe a second dance stage playing more 'popular' dance music. I do enjoy techno and underground but sometimes you wanna hear something to sing along to once the main stage has finished.

If they pull out a similar line up next year I'm sure I'll be back!

Last year, La Caleta had better line-up than this year in my opinion. They can have techno, but they need to have better djs or better sets. 

Edited by davidoffescassi

Last year's Caleta line-up was insane, didn't make sense of how good it was. There was no way they could pull something similar off this year but most of the sets I catched there were okay, good or even very good (Prosumer and Cormac probably the weakest of the weekend). And couldn't see I. Jordan but not even Helena played techno as she usually does so not sure why bringing up the term.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...