Roskilde 2023

mln

3 hours ago, FrogLobster said:

Lorde popped for a festival in UK at start of August... A gap but could be added to some festivals during July inbetween.

And a couple of more festivals in August in Europe also. As I recall, last time she came to Denmark was at Roskilde 2017. Could be her. Billie Eilish also has festivals in August in Europe. 

20 hours ago, festivalguy97 said:

I hope to not disappoint, and myself of course, I bought the ticket a long time ago and if continues in this direction I might consider selling the ticket, as this lineup is only good if you're a big fan of Blur and Rosalia. Well and the hip-hop smaller acts are actually amazing. That's it. 

I totally understand what you mean, but if you have been there, which I assume, since you have a knowledge about earlier lineups, you know that Roskilde is so much more than the lineup. And definitely so much more than the headliners.
Last year, for example, I discovered so much new music and two of them became an addition to my list of favorite bands. IDLES & Fontaines D.C.

I'm neither thrilled at all by the lineup so far and the only headliner I want to see is Blur. They have been on my bucket list for at least 10-15 years, so seeing them at Roskilde is a dream come true.

But Roskilde is all about the unique feeling you get when you entering the camping, and the festival area.
Spending time with your friends, drinking beer way to early, dream city, the naked run, the art, the never ending party, alien and cow. The orange feeling. This is why my camp keep visiting Roskilde year after year no matter what's on the lineup. It's just a tradition and we just have to go.

2 hours ago, UnBiloTitled said:

I totally understand what you mean, but if you have been there, which I assume, since you have a knowledge about earlier lineups, you know that Roskilde is so much more than the lineup. And definitely so much more than the headliners.
Last year, for example, I discovered so much new music and two of them became an addition to my list of favorite bands. IDLES & Fontaines D.C.

I'm neither thrilled at all by the lineup so far and the only headliner I want to see is Blur. They have been on my bucket list for at least 10-15 years, so seeing them at Roskilde is a dream come true.

But Roskilde is all about the unique feeling you get when you entering the camping, and the festival area.
Spending time with your friends, drinking beer way to early, dream city, the naked run, the art, the never ending party, alien and cow. The orange feeling. This is why my camp keep visiting Roskilde year after year no matter what's on the lineup. It's just a tradition and we just have to go.

Agree with you on that, the feeling of the camping and the festival itself is amazing.

What does annoy me is the fact that the festival is getting more and more expensive whereas the lineup keeps getting less and less consistent. As I work and cannot camp, I go and come everyday from Copenhagen, that is like 2,5 hours of commute per day, therefore I only go there for the lineup, and in that sense it disappoints me. Probably if I could stay in the camping with a lot of friends I would not care that much.

As we are getting closer and closer to the lineup reveal date, that could be probably next week on the 28th, let’s talk about the smaller names that might come to Roskilde:

-Opener Festival just announced Caroline Polachek and Metro Boomin, therefore I think those are 2 names that we might get.

-A lot of names are going to come from Rock Werchter and Lolla Stockholm, probably The Black Keys, Fred Again (again), Spoon, Ben Howard, Sigur Ros, Interpol, Editors, Stormzy, Icona Pop, King Princess,

-From other hip hop festivals like Rolling Loud Rotterdam and Wireless we might get Yung Lean and Drain Gang (this one is very likely), Playboi Carti, Lil Yachty, Joey Bada$$ and others. 

-And from the general names that are touring around in summer I think FKA Twigs, Death Grips, Earl Sweatshirt, Calvin Harris, Raye, Steve Lacy, Swans. 

38 minutes ago, festivalguy97 said:

As we are getting closer and closer to the lineup reveal date, that could be probably next week on the 28th, let’s talk about the smaller names that might come to Roskilde:

-Opener Festival just announced Caroline Polachek and Metro Boomin, therefore I think those are 2 names that we might get.

-A lot of names are going to come from Rock Werchter and Lolla Stockholm, probably The Black Keys, Fred Again (again), Spoon, Ben Howard, Sigur Ros, Interpol, Editors, Stormzy, Icona Pop, King Princess,

-From other hip hop festivals like Rolling Loud Rotterdam and Wireless we might get Yung Lean and Drain Gang (this one is very likely), Playboi Carti, Lil Yachty, Joey Bada$$ and others. 

-And from the general names that are touring around in summer I think FKA Twigs, Death Grips, Earl Sweatshirt, Calvin Harris, Raye, Steve Lacy, Swans. 

Forgot to add Thundercat, one of my favorite artists that is touring Europe and is going to Opener festival. 

19 hours ago, festivalguy97 said:

Agree with you on that, the feeling of the camping and the festival itself is amazing.

What does annoy me is the fact that the festival is getting more and more expensive whereas the lineup keeps getting less and less consistent. As I work and cannot camp, I go and come everyday from Copenhagen, that is like 2,5 hours of commute per day, therefore I only go there for the lineup, and in that sense it disappoints me. Probably if I could stay in the camping with a lot of friends I would not care that much.

This annoys me so bad too. That's what I was talking about earlier in this thread. That nowdays it's a economic privilege to do festivals like Roskilde, who badly just keeps pushing the limits of what they can take charges for. I mean, look at the camping area today, 80-90% are areas that you need to pay even more for in addition to the festival ticket itself.
In a few years they probably having a very expensive VIP alternative ticket too. And that is something Roskilde really should be criticised for.

And then I, once again really understand your point of view and why the lineup is very important for you.

Hasn't attending music festivals always been an economic privilege though? Its a vacation.

Not defending Roskilde specifically, but its getting expensive across the whole board (I remember going to Reading Fest nearly 20 years ago when the whole weekend ticket was cheaper than one of today's day tickets). Especially recently with Covid harming some festivals' incomes (including Roskilde); if they have to make some optional VIP ticket to cover rising costs then fair enough; you don't have to pay for it. Vote with your wallet!

Edited by FrogLobster

15 hours ago, FrogLobster said:

Hasn't attending music festivals always been an economic privilege though? Its a vacation.

Not defending Roskilde specifically, but its getting expensive across the whole board (I remember going to Reading Fest nearly 20 years ago when the whole weekend ticket was cheaper than one of today's day tickets). Especially recently with Covid harming some festivals' incomes (including Roskilde); if they have to make some optional VIP ticket to cover rising costs then fair enough; you don't have to pay for it. Vote with your wallet!

Agree with you that everything is getting expensive regarding concerts and festivals. 

Also in 2023 there are a lot of individual tours that could be good for a festival like Roskilde but those artists prefer to not tour festivals, artists like Coldplay, Beyoncé, Taylor Swift, SZA, The Weeknd, Paramore and many others. And we are left out with others much smaller artists also. That’s where I see a problem also. Even the smaller artists are doing the same in 2023. They can get much more money than from festivals. And I don’t mind paying the Roskilde festival ticket, but I want something good and some exclusive names. But this year it’s going to be everything that is touring around in other festivals, no surprise factor, no exclusivity factor, everything the same. That’s why increasing the price doesn’t seem sense to me. Artists like Lizzo and Lil Nas X are headliners now, nothing against them, but come on more than 300€ for that? Blur and a couple of artists more are the only ones that pass. Well, and Kendrick if he comes. 

On 2/25/2023 at 12:41 PM, festivalguy97 said:

Agree with you that everything is getting expensive regarding concerts and festivals. 

Also in 2023 there are a lot of individual tours that could be good for a festival like Roskilde but those artists prefer to not tour festivals, artists like Coldplay, Beyoncé, Taylor Swift, SZA, The Weeknd, Paramore and many others. And we are left out with others much smaller artists also. That’s where I see a problem also. Even the smaller artists are doing the same in 2023. They can get much more money than from festivals. And I don’t mind paying the Roskilde festival ticket, but I want something good and some exclusive names. But this year it’s going to be everything that is touring around in other festivals, no surprise factor, no exclusivity factor, everything the same. That’s why increasing the price doesn’t seem sense to me. Artists like Lizzo and Lil Nas X are headliners now, nothing against them, but come on more than 300€ for that? Blur and a couple of artists more are the only ones that pass. Well, and Kendrick if he comes. 

Amen to all. The only reasong I am still considering Roskilde is for the vibe, and, to be honest, I got a better experience last year at Sziget (in camping and music terms)

Edited by davidoffescassi

All the hints indicate that the full lineup (or at least the lineup by days) might be coming tomorrow. Unless there is some delay in the production, it can take a week or two, but maximum until mid March the lineup needs to be ready and posted.

Let’s hope once again it’s tomorrow. All the other festivals around Europe that are happening in the same weekend have most of their lineups ready. Could be that Roskilde is waiting for Glastonbury to drop, but that too should come within the next week or two. 

https://www.roskilde-festival.dk/da/line-up/#menu

There is already a day split on the line-up page. It seems they need at least one big name on Wednesday and two on Saturday.

Something coming today?

edit: 16 new acts, including Kendrick: https://www.roskilde-festival.dk/en/years/2023/news/kendrick-lamar-plays-roskilde-festival-2023/

Edited by mln

Today the following 14 music acts have been added to Roskilde Festival 2023:

Kendrick Lamar (US) 

Angélique Kidjo (BJ) 
Caroline Polachek (US) 
Code Orange (US) 
Weyes Blood (US) 

Benny Jamz (DK) 
Clarissa Connelly’s Canon (DK) 
Derya Yildrim & Grup Simsek (TUR) 
First Hate (DK) 
Fulu Miziki (CD) 
Indigo De Souza (US) 
Nora Brown (US) 
Phelimuncasi (ZA) 
Special Interest (US)

Edited by davidoffescassi

So at the end the prediction of the 28th of February worked. Just didn’t expect that they would announce so few names. Literally the only take from here is Kendrick and Caroline Polachek. Many names are missing. Specially the big names from Saturday? 

I believe that there is probably an embargo and that the last day headliner is something that is not yet announced in the other festivals at that time. Could be SZA? Lana de Rey? 

I guess we will find out on Friday 31st of March.

3 minutes ago, festivalguy97 said:

So at the end the prediction of the 28th of February worked. Just didn’t expect that they would announce so few names. Literally the only take from here is Kendrick and Caroline Polachek. Many names are missing. Specially the big names from Saturday? 

I believe that there is probably an embargo and that the last day headliner is something that is not yet announced in the other festivals at that time. Could be SZA? Lana de Rey? 

I guess we will find out on Friday 31st of March.

I guess it will be the same name that Open'er is missing on Thursday. My bet is on Lana del Rey.

Edited by mln

19 minutes ago, mln said:

I guess it will be the same name that Open'er is missing on Thursday. My bet is on Lana del Rey.

Probably. Some people were saying that Beyoncé has free dates and she’s in Europe, that would be huge indeed but I don’t think Roskilde can afford it. I’m thinking of SZA also as her last album was quite big everywhere and she is rumoured to be touring Europe in summer after her US Tour. In any case many other names are missing. At least 1 for Orange stage for each day. 

Roskilde have said on Insta there is still 100 more names to add; don't grab your pitchforks yet!

Wednesday: Kendrick/QOTSA is a seriously strong top 2. Ive seen QOTSA maybe a dozen times and they have always been seriously tight & brilliant. Didn't think much of Kendrick when I last saw him (2015) so might have been an off-day but he has evolved alot since so curious in checking him out again. Plus Lorna Shore!

Thursday: Scattering of random stuff im interested in and have never seen live before (Lil Nas X, Denzel, Rina, Ithaca, Soul Glo, Nova Twins, Tove Lo). Such a mix of genres!

Friday: Definitely the top-end strongest day for me; I fear the clashes already. I've been waiting years to see Code Orange live so this is an extra bump to a day with already Blur, Rosalia, Christine, Japanese Breakfast, etc.

Saturday: By far the weakest day; definitely missing 2 big headliner names (Lizzo? Arctic Monkeys? Beyonce? Lorde? LDR?). Other than Billy Woods and Pertubator there isn't anything im interested in.

Edited by FrogLobster

38 minutes ago, FrogLobster said:

Roskilde have said on Insta there is still 100 more names to add; don't grab your pitchforks yet!

Wednesday: Kendrick/QOTSA is a seriously strong top 2. Ive seen QOTSA maybe a dozen times and they have always been seriously tight & brilliant. Didn't think much of Kendrick when I last saw him (2015) so might have been an off-day but he has evolved alot since so curious in checking him out again. Plus Lorna Shore!

Thursday: Scattering of random stuff im interested in and have never seen live before (Lil Nas X, Denzel, Rina, Ithaca, Soul Glo, Nova Twins, Tove Lo). Such a mix of genres!

Friday: Definitely the top-end strongest day for me; I fear the clashes already. I've been waiting years to see Code Orange live so this is an extra bump to a day with already Blur, Rosalia, Christine, Japanese Breakfast, etc.

Saturday: By far the weakest day; definitely missing 2 big headliner names (Lizzo? Arctic Monkeys? Beyonce? Lorde? LDR?). Other than Billy Woods and Pertubator there isn't anything im interested in.

Friday needs a big female headliner name. It would be weird to have an all male headliners (Kendrick, Lil Nas assuming he is the headliner and Blur), specially now that festivals like Roskilde are trying to be inclusive.

From artists that are touring it can be either Lizzo (she has dates in Poland and Sweden so she is definitely coming to Roskilde), Lana del Rey (is touring in late Spring, might tour in Summer), Lorde (has dates in August) or SZA that is rumored to tour Europe (her American tour ends in March so she might be waiting until then to announce the European tour, 31st of March is a good day for that).

On a more serious note, it could be Rihanna or Beyoncé but I doubt it.

18 minutes ago, matrainertje said:

This lineup is getting really good. And still 100+ names to follow. 

Classic Roskilde: starting off very disappointing but not front loading their announcements. The last names announcement is usually the best one. 

I would agree that’s it shaping in a good way. At first glance I got a bit disappointed, but if you look at the other festivals, it has a mix of everything. It has all the headliners from Primavera Sound (Blur, Rosalía, Kendrick) plus a day with Lil Nas and Burna Boy that are headliners in other festivals, plus QOTSA that is a big name in festivals like Mad Coll, Nos Alive and Rock Werchter. And the last day is missing big and small names. 

I do feel that they could’ve brought Arctic Monkeys to balance all the hip hop and urban music, and specially the last day probably will have a pop big artist like Lizzo or Lana del Rey, but let’s wait and see. 

1 hour ago, festivalguy97 said:

Friday needs a big female headliner name. It would be weird to have an all male headliners (Kendrick, Lil Nas assuming he is the headliner and Blur), specially now that festivals like Roskilde are trying to be inclusive.

From artists that are touring it can be either Lizzo (she has dates in Poland and Sweden so she is definitely coming to Roskilde), Lana del Rey (is touring in late Spring, might tour in Summer), Lorde (has dates in August) or SZA that is rumored to tour Europe (her American tour ends in March so she might be waiting until then to announce the European tour, 31st of March is a good day for that).

On a more serious note, it could be Rihanna or Beyoncé but I doubt it.

Rihanna is several months pregnant so I doubt she is touring at all this year. Beyonce might be too expensive, but they have saved money with Lil Nas X and the rest of the Saturday. Although, Kendrick and Blur must not have been cheap (Kendrick is infamously Reading Festival's most expensive headliner ever; even more than Eminem, etc)

Edited by FrogLobster

1 hour ago, FrogLobster said:

Rihanna is several months pregnant so I doubt she is touring at all this year. Beyonce might be too expensive, but they have saved money with Lil Nas X and the rest of the Saturday. Although, Kendrick and Blur must not have been cheap (Kendrick is infamously Reading Festival's most expensive headliner ever; even more than Eminem, etc)

I also forgot about Billie Eilish. 
She’s touring around Europe in August, maybe other festivals might bring her so it’s easier for her to come also in June. Also she was very requested before, and her tour didn’t come to Denmark last year. Would also sell a ton of tickets for Roskilde.