2024 Festival

Chad888

32 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

I already made that point when I originally replied to him.

The guy goes round in circles making the same point over and over and I've made the mistake of engaging with him before. It's a tedious talking point and I don't have anything else to say other than they don't sound anything alike.

To  suggest they've built their sound off of Wet Leg and that's why they've found their success is just a weird point to make.

First point is fair!

Second point, I did not say they've built their sound off Wet Leg. I suggested that acts like them are going to be "pushed, due to Wet Leg's success". What annoyed me at the time was your response suggested it was some grossly misogynistic view.

Its not a massively controversial statement, its not a statement that said The Last Dinner Party are purposefully copying Wet Leg (they could have been around a decade before Wet Leg for all I know), its a simple fact of the music industry (indeed all industries) that when something is popular, businesses (not just record labels), will try to get in on the market.

Its no different to all the "The" indie landfill bands being pushed in the early 00s, all the emo bands in the mid, late 00s. its what happens.

GFA is only liking it because he was wrong about the BIG TENT coming back!!!!

Edit - Im am seriously astounded by the fact you don't listen to Sinner and Nothing Matters and think, these would sound like good v good Wet Leg songs though(yes yes obv produced differently)

Edited by Benj

3 minutes ago, Benj said:

First point is fair!

Second point, I did not say they've built their sound off Wet Leg. I suggested that acts like them are going to be "pushed, due to Wet Leg's success".

Its not a massively controversial statement, its not a statement that said The Last Dinner Party are purposefully copying Wet Leg (they could have been around a decade before Wet Leg for all I know), its a simple fact of the music industry (indeed all industries) that when something is popular, businesses (not just record labels), will try to get in on the market.

Its no different to all the "The" indie landfill bands being pushed in the early 00s, all the emo bands in the mid, late 00s. its what happens.

GFA is only liking it because he was wrong about the BIG TENT coming back!!!!

Always comes back to the big tent with you, eh Benj

1 minute ago, nathanh said:

Cant help but think that R1 is gonna be a rebrand or slightly bigger version of R1 Dance tent

I think it will end up being the exact same tent, in the exact same location. All they really need is better screens in there and it will provide a good experience for the bands programmed.

Old big tent back for Chevron, although it may be a bit sh*t for the less popular dance acts... Saying that though, the dance tent pre 2020 in the location it had between the Main Stage and Big tent was Always busy, I think the kids just naturally went there as opposed to back to their tents at that time, so maybe people will be drawn to Chevron as a default now when the main stage doesnt grab them...

Hopefully they'll offer a larger 'Tubourg town' type thing with the space the Dance tent was in 2019, otherwise the FR could go there, freeing up the space where Pit/ 1 Extra and FR for something new, maybe thats where a new VIP bit will be if they expand 'the lounge'.

I can only see that taking off really though if there is a view of the main stage from it, which will be hard with the slope down to it.

5 minutes ago, Benj said:

I think it will end up being the exact same tent, in the exact same location. All they really need is better screens in there and it will provide a good experience for the bands programmed.

Old big tent back for Chevron, although it may be a bit sh*t for the less popular dance acts

Think this is exactly what will end up happening but i guess it will be a wait and see situation

8 minutes ago, Hart Attack said:

Are we thinking Main and Chevron will alternate like East and West? Really don't want Blink and Prodigy to clash.

Doubt it, think if its a tent theres no need or reason to alternate just takes away the options that @Benjhas been campaigning for

I’m convinced it’s back to almost the old format, which while obviously generating annoying clashes just completely rebrands the festival back to its old self.

having the option for choices every night rather than almost being forced into seeing the main headliner is a price I’m willing to pay for the Blink or Prod conundrum 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

Predicting the Blink, Prodigy, Gerry and TDCC clashes is going to haunt me right until the week of

TDCC won’t clash with Gerry

the sh*t poster suggests that may happen, this is a better view of what I assume it will be

If like previous years, the bigger stage headliners will all be playing at the same time.  The FR/ Pit/ 1 Xtra has closed pre final Headliner before

IMG_0385.jpeg

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, CG31 said:

I’m convinced it’s back to almost the old format, which while obviously generating annoying clashes just completely rebrands the festival back to its old self.

having the option for choices every night rather than almost being forced into seeing the main headliner is a price I’m willing to pay for the Blink or Prod conundrum 

The Blink/ Prodigy clash is interesting. Deffo the worst of the headliners option to clash for me. 

Im guessing there is probably a bigger Gallagher Prodigy fan base crossover so maybe Fred Again would make most sense assuming there is a generational gap maybe at play there…

There are lots of 30-40 something’s who absolutely hate Blink, so it may be a great choice and we just happen to be a majority minority on here

I have no idea who Sonny Fodera is, will be draw a decent amount away from Fred?

Just now, nathanh said:

Clashes are annoying but surely its a good issue to have

Yup, they’re an absolute pisser but shows strength in depth and ultimately much, much better than having nothing you want to see on!

3 minutes ago, Benj said:

the sh*t poster suggests that may happen, this is a better view of what I assume it will be

If like previous years, the bigger stage headliners will all be playing at the same time.  The FR/ Pit/ 1 Xtra has closed pre final Headliner before

IMG_0385.jpeg

Cheers, the proper poster is ridiculous.

This edited poster shows just how stupid the day splits are, Blink vs Prodigy, Fred Again vs Sonny Fedora. There’d be proper rock, dance and indie days if Fred/Lana swapped with LG/CATB

8 minutes ago, Benj said:

IMG_0385.jpeg

Think FR should pay you to redo the poster because this looks so much better than the version they put out. 

I think we might be back to the old format but not sure whether the Chevron or Radio 1 stage will be bigger. It is possible Chevron is the size of the old Radio 1 and the new Radio 1 is dance stage size? Would explain why FR has kinda of lock up/pit bands on the Friday and Saturday. My only issue with that is The Wombats being a bit big for that size of tent. 

1 minute ago, andyrhodes24 said:

Cheers, the proper poster is ridiculous.

This edited poster shows just how stupid the day splits are, Blink vs Prodigy, Fred Again vs Sonny Fedora. There’d be proper rock, dance and indie days if Fred/Lana swapped with LG/CATB

It is interesting that having gone back to this format, where they can offer strong alternatives, they haven’t tried to theme the main stages more

Personally as a weekend goer, I like it mixed up, I imagine most day trippers going for a headliner would like a little more they like throughout the day, even if spread about the various stages

1 minute ago, foolee said:

I think we might be back to the old format but not sure whether the Chevron or Radio 1 stage will be bigger. It is possible Chevron is the size of the old Radio 1 and the new Radio 1 is dance stage size?

I think theres a good chance of that 

1 minute ago, foolee said:

My only issue with that is The Wombats being a bit big for that size of tent. 

However as you went on to say this is what makes me wonder whether its a tent in between Dance and old R1 size. However it may be done on the assumption most people are there for Lana and Fred so the crowd wont be too big?

2 minutes ago, foolee said:

Think FR should pay you to redo the poster because this looks so much better than the version they put out. 

I think we might be back to the old format but not sure whether the Chevron or Radio 1 stage will be bigger. It is possible Chevron is the size of the old Radio 1 and the new Radio 1 is dance stage size? Would explain why FR has kinda of lock up/pit bands on the Friday and Saturday. My only issue with that is The Wombats being a bit big for that size of tent. 

I didnt do it, was someone on Reddit - https://www.reddit.com/r/readingfestival/s/DwL8IRenFL

Just now, nathanh said:

I think theres a good chance of that 

However as you went on to say this is what makes me wonder whether it’s a tent in between Dance and old R1 size. However it may be done on the assumption most people are there for Lana and Fred so the crowd wont be too big?

Fred and I assume Sonny Fodera will pull enough away, to make it OK.  You’d assume given 2 dance acts that Wombats would have bigger crowd than Fodera, no idea how big he is though!