2024 Festival

Chad888

3 minutes ago, Logan1996 said:

If we have the big tent back , what's going to make way for it?

Assuming 

MSE

MSW

Big Tent

Dance Tent

Fest Repub

1 Extra 

Surely one of the last three will go

I'd assume it would be 1xtra that gets cut but could easily be Dance because half the time the past few years its been filled by acts better suited to the R1 Tent anyone. 

1 hour ago, gfa said:

Lots of people will be excited for LG just like 3 years ago

If your not excited for the closing headliner its not really the end of the world, can't expect to like all 6 at such a varied fest like Reading. Good opportunity to get over to the silent discos early

Yup, 1 or 2, when it’s 4/6 that’s less good news. 

Paying 300 quid to go to a silent disco is exactly why I’m suggesting VFM is shot to hell

1 hour ago, Logan1996 said:

If we have the big tent back , what's going to make way for it?

Assuming 

MSE

MSW

Big Tent

Dance Tent

Fest Repub

1 Extra 

Surely one of the last three will go

Don’t see how they can fit a BIG tent and two main stages on at reading

I think a slightly bigger rebranded, properly reprogrammed dance stage may be on the cards, with suitably downscaled acts. I wouldn’t have a huge problem with that but I’m not a massive dance fan…

21 minutes ago, Benj said:

Don’t see how they can fit a BIG tent and two main stages on at reading

I think a slightly bigger rebranded, properly reprogrammed dance stage may be on the cards, with suitably downscaled acts. I wouldn’t have a huge problem with that but I’m not a massive dance fan…

They 100% can for the amount they are charging and space wise. Could mean two stages being sacrificed though - or a significant reshuffle of space.

Who was the person who leaked the first few names bcs they looked at the coding for the website or something like that? Would like them to give that another go pls it worked a treat last time 😂

Edited by Will b

5 minutes ago, gfa said:

They 100% can for the amount they are charging and space wise. Could mean two stages being sacrificed though - or a significant reshuffle 

Otherwise they’d need to eat into campsite if they’re going use the same arena footprint. I guess there’s a chance they could fit it where the dance tent is, if they binned the comedy tent moved the arena entrance there elsewhere

10 minutes ago, Will b said:

Who was the person who leaked the first few names bcs they looked at the coding for the website or something like that? Would like them to give that another go pls it worked a treat last time 😂

Not 100% sure how they did that but ive just tried how I think they would have done it and there only appears to be  the 13 names we already had

16 minutes ago, Will b said:

I’m on the case in the background at work, no news yet 😂

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, nathanh said:

What are we thinking of those Arcadia rumours that were swirling about a couple months back? Total bs?

Would be awesome but my guess is this would be impossible noise level wise at Reading, it's not spread out or far enough away from town for an open air thing like Arcadia

Edited by CapnOrange

12 minutes ago, CapnOrange said:

Would be awesome but my guess is this would be impossible noise level wise at Reading, it's not spread out or far enough away from town for an open air thing like Arcadia

Not sure where it could fit, unless they put it up in White or similar, unless it’s going where the dance tent is but surely they can’t have a daytime Arcadia going on?

Would also mean they’d deffo need another decent sized tent somewhere…

15 hours ago, charlierc said:

Same. Mainly as it gives the music industry too much credit that it knows what's gonna be a bona fide hit when half the time, especially now, it seems like a series of guesses and punts.

A side-gig of mine is screenwriting. When you work with the studios, the scripts are meticulously beated out. Every studio has spent billions perfectly crafting the ideal script that exactly matches what their audience is looking for from that studio in that genre, at exactly what point in the movie.

E.g. Universal comedies between 00-15 - 95 pages, adults living the life of a manchild pages 0-5, coasting until something changes on page 15, montage included on page 45 showing everything in life is great, page 48 it all falls apart, page 75 the straw that breaks the camels back, exactly 5 pages of protagonists wallowing. (just look at Role Models, Step Brothers, Knocked Up etc).

There is no guessing, they know exactly the time of beats, hooks, notes, vocal chords that are appealing, they know what type of lyrics hit with focus groups, what demographic the artist fills that appeals most to crowds. Raye, Jorja Smith, Griff, Joy Crooks, Arlo Park are pretty much interchangeable, because it is so calculated.

There is no luck when they know exactly what markets to what group. Do you really think a multi-billion industry whose entire profit stream is off successful music bases it entirely off luck??

8 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

A side-gig of mine is screenwriting. When you work with the studios, the scripts are meticulously beated out. Every studio has spent billions perfectly crafting the ideal script that exactly matches what their audience is looking for from that studio in that genre, at exactly what point in the movie.

E.g. Universal comedies between 00-15 - 95 pages, adults living the life of a manchild pages 0-5, coasting until something changes on page 15, montage included on page 45 showing everything in life is great, page 48 it all falls apart, page 75 the straw that breaks the camels back, exactly 5 pages of protagonists wallowing. (just look at Role Models, Step Brothers, Knocked Up etc).

There is no guessing, they know exactly the time of beats, hooks, notes, vocal chords that are appealing, they know what type of lyrics hit with focus groups, what demographic the artist fills that appeals most to crowds. Raye, Jorja Smith, Griff, Joy Crooks, Arlo Park are pretty much interchangeable, because it is so calculated.

There is no luck when they know exactly what markets to what group. Do you really think a multi-billion industry whose entire profit stream is off successful music bases it entirely off luck??

And yet... so many films fail at the box office, TV shows are cancelled after one season and songs disappear without trace

Funny how so many classic songs have managed to happen without all this wizardy in the past. Im guessing all the artists you like avoid all this like the plague too, yet you like them, many even are hugely succesful?

Hooks etc in songs are nothing new, it's been happening forever, its not some new wizardry thats suddenly been rolled out decades after Stock, Aitken and Waterman produced hit after hit for any old Jabronis...

14 hours ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

So what does the term 'industry plant' actually mean to you then. I understand having a problem with big labels and their marketing tactics, but industry plant sounds way more sinister and orchestrated than that.

To me it means fake.

Real artists who work tirelessly will be pushed aside for an act that is manufactured into something they weren't, aren't and never will be, that sells their proverbial soul to just tow the industry line. 

Its the current iteration of the corporate manufactured disney pop Justin Timberlakes, Britney Spears etc.

When you look at how the corporate entities treat their industry products, and how they choose those acts that are ten-a-penny to promote ... do you think Harvey Weinstein was a one off? I don't support acts that sell themselves out, at the mercy of other more talented acts that have self-respect, just to give super-producers full rights to their music catalogue, enabling Spotify to continue predatory practices such as paying fractions of pennies to artists, so the ones without industry representation lose any sort of voice.

6 minutes ago, Benj said:

And yet... so many films fail at the box office, TV shows are cancelled after one season and songs disappear without trace

You'll be surprised how few films actually fail, the profits are wildly under reported because most behind-the-scenes employees have profit based income. I think it is Ghostbusters or a similar HUGE hit from the 90's, each year the writer posts his royalty cheque on social media showing how the film has still made 0 profits according to their accounting, so he still hasn't seen a penny.

TV-Series are different, for the last 10 years they are made to be "second screen" shows, that people can comfortably binge in the background whilst sitting on their phone. Most product placement is spoken now, so you're busy on your phone but hear it without realising you hear it, e.g. "do you want a coke, i'd rather have a fanta" and you don't realise you heard it but next time your in the store you see a fanta and reach for it. The impact of marketing messages in TV shows drop off after 1 or 2 seasons of binge watching, basically the longer its on in the background without you focusing on it, the less you pick up on their sponsored content.

3 hours ago, nathanh said:

I'd assume it would be 1xtra that gets cut but could easily be Dance because half the time the past few years its been filled by acts better suited to the R1 Tent anyone. 

I'd have said 1xtra tent has been packed last few times i've tried to watch the later evening acts (Knucks, Ardee, Krept Konan etc) but they are all very much artists that could be playing the R1 tent. 

Same with Dance tent... why are acts like Ashnikko being put in there in recent years. Fred Agains day selling out basically clearly shows that Dance is as big now as it ever was.

17 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

You'll be surprised how few films actually fail, the profits are wildly under reported because most behind-the-scenes employees have profit based income. I think it is Ghostbusters or a similar HUGE hit from the 90's, each year the writer posts his royalty cheque on social media showing how the film has still made 0 profits according to their accounting, so he still hasn't seen a penny.

TV-Series are different, for the last 10 years they are made to be "second screen" shows, that people can comfortably binge in the background whilst sitting on their phone. Most product placement is spoken now, so you're busy on your phone but hear it without realising you hear it, e.g. "do you want a coke, i'd rather have a fanta" and you don't realise you heard it but next time your in the store you see a fanta and reach for it. The impact of marketing messages in TV shows drop off after 1 or 2 seasons of binge watching, basically the longer its on in the background without you focusing on it, the less you pick up on their sponsored content.

Major studio Loads of movies lose millions every year

Record companies lose millions on artists every year

They chuck millions at them because if they make it they make huge amounts of money.

Loads of movies and songs/ anlbums are not ever even released. 

Edited by Benj

57 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

My god this is embarrassing.