Replacement for EE app

Nick Spicer

Yeah, hood luck with it. You may come unstuck with copyright, intellectual property etc. but it's worth a go, right? 

The EE app is far from the best so if you don't get far with your own due to restrictions, perhaps build it anyway and pitch it to them as something that is better than what they already have.

55 minutes ago, Nick Spicer said:

Appreciate it! Yeah I mean fair enough I think people just don't like to feel like they're being sold to but gotta get the word out somehow! 

The tech stack is Postgres/C#/React my day job is working as a full stack web developer so I've had a lot of time to hone what I'd like to use for side projects.

I was hesitant to go down the route of drawing on the map but gets lots of similar requests so think i'll create pins for each stage and hopefully get the distance to each act based on where you are thanks for the feedback. 😄

That's great. I'm in the middle of learning Javascript right now myself, with the hope of moving into React. Would love a project like this, must be good for the portfolio.

Like the others said, you might find some copyright issues at some point but at absolute worst it's a pretty clever personal project to work on.

30 minutes ago, moogster said:

Random thought: It would be cool if you could see traffic like on driving apps, but for punters, like a red line between Other and Arcadia or a red shaded pyramid field when whatever legend is playing. (no clue if that's doable in terms of privacy and technology). 

That's exactly what I'm looking into right now if it's doable! I did not enjoy getting trapped at Calvin Harris in Arcadia last year or getting stuck for 30m to see Mel C do a DJ set haha. As someone else mentioned it would need to be done in a way that doesn't direct everyone towards the same path and make the problem worse though.

To get around any copyright infringements, wouldn't it be pretty simple to copy the map and export it in your own design? Surely, they can't get annoyed if you just traced all the routes/ways/pathways/stages etc. It'd be a pretty laborious task mind you with all the water points and toilets and so on.

I like the idea of a "What's on nearby" function though, as well as the "Fastest route to X-Stage". If you wanted to get really fancy, you could include an alternate route option like Google Maps depending on how much time people had to dawdle and what you passed along the way. Or it sends you an alternate way depending on how many people were at pinchpoints. But I don't know how easy that all is to implement.

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

4 hours ago, moogster said:

Random thought: It would be cool if you could see traffic like on driving apps, but for punters, like a red line between Other and Arcadia or a red shaded pyramid field when whatever legend is playing. (no clue if that's doable in terms of privacy and technology). 

live traffic updates would be good - I wonder how that would work with people on footpaths queueing for food or milling about through, would that that give a false picture? and how would you define the colour coding 

22 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

have you asked permission from the site owner before posting this and promoting a business on here ? this hasnt replaced the EE app has it as thats still available  ... 

Seriously? The guy has put all that work into this idea which ultimately could help Glasto attendees and this is what you have to say? Yes, maybe he should’ve said ‘alternative’ but is this extreme pedantry (and quite frankly, arse-licking) really necessary towards somebody trying to do a good thing? 

Edited by The Martini Police
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

Seriously? The guy has put all that work into this idea which ultimately could help Glasto attendees and this is what you have to say? Yes, maybe he should’ve said ‘alternative’ but is this extreme pedantry (and quite frankly, arse-licking) really necessary towards somebody trying to do a good thing? 

I didn’t read CF’s post that way. More of a suggestion that he checks it’s ok with Neil before posting. Neil has offered advice so he’s obviously cool wit it so no problem. 

Neil has banned members in the past for promoting their business and I think CF was thinking of that and trying to smooth out any problems before they arose 

1 minute ago, tarw said:

I didn’t read CF’s post that way. More of a suggestion that he checks it’s ok with Neil before posting. Neil has offered advice so he’s obviously cool wit it so no problem. 

Neil has banned members in the past for promoting their business and I think CF was thinking of that and trying to smooth out any problems before they arose 

bingo ...  and further down ive also asked some questions to provoke thought , I absolutely wish anyone luck with anything to do with the festival , the more to consume the better for me .