Y NOT Festival 2023

stanh

Just back from a first time at Y Not and if the lineup suited me again I would go. I would be describe the camping as a mix of older and younger. There is definitely a younger vibe though but feels like Reading and Leeds but without the arseholes. Heard some horror stories of Leeds last year from my neighbor's. 

I watched pigeon detectives, the k's, the reytons, royal blood, faithless dj set partly, the lancashire hotpots, red rum club, sophie ellis bextor, lathums a bit, a bit of barioke, james, yonaka, hannah wants, shadows of a silhouette, kt tunstall, jamie webster, charlatans, dma's and weller. i had planned to hit a couple of late night tents but weather plus driving back I sacked it off. Pottered around some of the dj stages etc too.

Cracking weekend though and absolutely value for money, especially on the early birds at £105.

Just got back from a first time too - stand out performances for me from the pigeon detectives, the wombats, Maisie peters, Chappaqua wrestling, James, kasabian, raised by owls, Deadletter, crawlers, and sea girls 

agree that the crowd is a nice mix of non-idiot young people (I’m 19 and attended reading last year so can tell you all about that!) and an older bunch 

a really good festival for the price, my favourite lineup of the year too (travelled from Devon for this)

Only complaints were not enough loos / not cleaned enough

all in all the best small festival I’ve been too and some of the best crowds too 

also that walk is not 1 mile 

Edited by Will b

46 minutes ago, northernangel said:

Just back from a first time at Y Not and if the lineup suited me again I would go. I would be describe the camping as a mix of older and younger. There is definitely a younger vibe though but feels like Reading and Leeds but without the arseholes. Heard some horror stories of Leeds last year from my neighbor's. 

I watched pigeon detectives, the k's, the reytons, royal blood, faithless dj set partly, the lancashire hotpots, red rum club, sophie ellis bextor, lathums a bit, a bit of barioke, james, yonaka, hannah wants, shadows of a silhouette, kt tunstall, jamie webster, charlatans, dma's and weller. i had planned to hit a couple of late night tents but weather plus driving back I sacked it off. Pottered around some of the dj stages etc too.

Cracking weekend though and absolutely value for money, especially on the early birds at £105.

Agreed, it was a great weekend, even with some of the organisation issues. I didn't camp this time due to experiencing the deluge of Tramlines the weekend before, but was a relatively easy hop back and forth from Sheffield.

Main stage I watched a bit of Pigeon Detectives (gutted they were moved to an early slot), The K's, some of Royal Blood, Sophie Ellis-Bextor, Mystery Jets, The Wombats, some of James, half of Kasabian, K T Tunstall, some of DMA's, The Charlatans and Weller.

Notable bands away from the main stage for me were Panic Shack, Deadletter, The Murder Capital, Ist Ist, Shambolics, Chappaqua Wrestling and Porij.

I loved Weller's set, although I suspect it wasn't to everybody's taste, very soulful and almost jazzy in parts. A great way to finish the weekend, despite the rain.

• Like 1

What was last night / this morning like getting away?

I went home Sunday morning as planned. Toilets in the quiet camping section were ok (I was probably just lucky), though could have have been more as always a queue.

The walk at the main entrance really pissed me off - I can understand having it for Thursday / Friday morning, but adds a good extra 15 mins back to the car for no real benefit. 

line up was great again, and for the price even if you can’t do the whole weekend ( I only did Friday and Saturday) it really is a no brainer.  

final note - love all the indie disco tents late at night - having struggled at Glasto to find one, this festival up north really nails that.

9 minutes ago, Andeh03 said:

Last night was easy getting out from general parking if you went out at the top gate. Good support to guide you out when grass was getting a bit muddy/slippy. Probably easiest exit I've had from a festival this year.

The road round past the drop off point was chocka though and barely moving.

The main issue was lack of GPS - need to download offline maps if you don't know the route. 

Edited by sheffinghell

Interesting I went out the long road passed the pickup on Sunday morning as I hadn’t initially realised you could get out the top of the field instead. There was no queue but it still takes ages along that road at 10mh and not sure if it’ll do some long term damage to the car. The other exit is one to remember for next year.

1 hour ago, Will b said:

Just got back from a first time too - stand out performances for me from the pigeon detectives, the wombats, Maisie peters, Chappaqua wrestling, James, kasabian, raised by owls, Deadletter, crawlers, and sea girls 

agree that the crowd is a nice mix of non-idiot young people (I’m 19 and attended reading last year so can tell you all about that!) and an older bunch 

a really good festival for the price, my favourite lineup of the year too (travelled from Devon for this)

Only complaints were not enough loos / not cleaned enough

all in all the best small festival I’ve been too and some of the best crowds too 

also that walk is not 1 mile 

I was feeling quite lethargic Saturday and after Yonaka, I nipped back tot the tent to freshen and get a bottle of coke down me to make it out for the evening. Yonaka were great and she took time to do selfies etc after, lead singer that is. Scruff of the Neck was a great little indie classics tent. Then Malibu/Flamingo Jacks depending what you like. I think The Quarry late night dj set is brilliant. Shame I just felt too tired to continue for Faithless but travelling day/drunk a lot given the nice weather. Missed the Sinead tribute but ah well.

My favorite too. Glad Weller did all the 3 Jam songs as he'd been leaving one of them out recently. I went mainly for a few of his own and Jam songs. James doing Sit Down as well was great. The problem with The Pigeon Detectives slot was, they didn't cater for the point by moving their set was reduced 15 minutes and thus new material should really have been just missed out for the banger. This lull was also notable in crowd reaction.

I agree about the toilets, strange thing with no flush. It's not an excuse but I overheard that there was a last minute company dispute/altercation which meant the toilets they were supposed to be receiving had to go elsewhere and thus last minute it was kind of a deal with it. My other point, I also agree for car park access, from Saturday, just keep that big gate open so the route is direct in and out. My arrival etc was a very rushed one for certain reasons. Lastly, a few people from the grapevine etc noted that it would be easier if they made a section in the top corner or something on the side with quicker access between main and second to avoid all the round the big circle/stalls you have to go past.

What the festival handed superbly though I thought was the ground and weather. By Sunday night nothing they can do but they had pre planned for the rain with straw/wood chips down to soak it up and continued out of public arena times to clearly relay where possible imo.

1 hour ago, sheffinghell said:

Agreed, it was a great weekend, even with some of the organisation issues. I didn't camp this time due to experiencing the deluge of Tramlines the weekend before, but was a relatively easy hop back and forth from Sheffield.

Main stage I watched a bit of Pigeon Detectives (gutted they were moved to an early slot), The K's, some of Royal Blood, Sophie Ellis-Bextor, Mystery Jets, The Wombats, some of James, half of Kasabian, K T Tunstall, some of DMA's, The Charlatans and Weller.

Notable bands away from the main stage for me were Panic Shack, Deadletter, The Murder Capital, Ist Ist, Shambolics, Chappaqua Wrestling and Porij.

I loved Weller's set, although I suspect it wasn't to everybody's taste, very soulful and almost jazzy in parts. A great way to finish the weekend, despite the rain.

I got to see a few acts that for me are probably ticked off for the foreseeable. I also managed to get the first spot somehow inside the first general campsite and make friends with opposite neighbors. I could head out and back in within 20 minutes if I wanted to quickly but I wouldn't want to return from much further without a good couple of hours break. 

48 minutes ago, Andeh03 said:

I went home Sunday morning as planned. Toilets in the quiet camping section were ok (I was probably just lucky), though could have have been more as always a queue.

The walk at the main entrance really pissed me off - I can understand having it for Thursday / Friday morning, but adds a good extra 15 mins back to the car for no real benefit. 

line up was great again, and for the price even if you can’t do the whole weekend ( I only did Friday and Saturday) it really is a no brainer.  

final note - love all the indie disco tents late at night - having struggled at Glasto to find one, this festival up north really nails that.

I strolled out at around 7am time. I will say that I will go Sunday next time or at least rough it/get away with car sleeping as the young crowd did come out last night with a very Reading feel to it being very overloud for the pure want to.

The long walk this morning first thing was a poor decision given the weather, that's where just open the gate. I get the whole pickup lane but you're going past that anyway when you go round. Yes I just followed the car park out how I came in. I knew I needed to turn right and let the sat nav kick in about 20 minutes later. Just followed signs towards Derby and M1 South until.

For the cost, I won't, but it is worth it if you have an intention of returning to grab the pre sale early bird and just sell it on later if you decide against because you will make your money back. It reminded me of a very very small Glastonbury but probably the size of festival where I want to be currently.

Edited by northernangel

Some great reviews above.   I was there yesterday as was volunteering for the Child Bereavement Charity.  Had a lovely few hours wandering round collecting whilst listening to a few tunes. 

Managed to watch the brilliant Deadletter and then last half of Charlatans followed by DMA's and Weller who having seen him a few times recently put on his usual fantastic show.   I honestly think his voice has improved with age and his band are brilliant.  You know you will get some curve balls in his set like The Piper which I had never heard live before.   Would love him the chuck English Rose into his set though.

The weather was awful last few hours but not quite as bad as I experienced at Tramlines last weekend.   I did go to the car for a warm a dry out in between DMA's and Weller.

Only there for the day but would consider camping next year and doing the whole thing/  My lad has been for the full weekend so will no doubt get an update tonight - if he is awake !

I was so tempted to go to this with the line-up, but as I’d have had to have gone alone + weather forecast, decided not to.

When people say half the crowd is ‘older’, would I feel out of place in my early 30s if I went next year?

Also, any early thoughts who could headline it next time around?

14 minutes ago, LMP said:

I was so tempted to go to this with the line-up, but as I’d have had to have gone alone + weather forecast, decided not to.

When people say half the crowd is ‘older’, would I feel out of place in my early 30s if I went next year?

You’d be fine, while there is definitely a big element of younguns, it’s hard to estimate but about 20% of the crowd is 30s and older. As long as you can hack the camping there won’t be any age shaming. I was camped next to quite of few that were 40s or 50s.

25 minutes ago, LMP said:

Would say any age.  Was kids through to 60+ there this weekend. 

Can't comment on the camping area though.

35 minutes ago, LMP said:

I've just got back from going solo myself and spent a large majority sat with neighbors just across the way. I would get to the car and sleep at least on Sunday night though as that 70% youngsters do come out. The weather put a dampener on parts but the festival can't stop this miserable July from continuing. 

I had what can be described as an interesting YKnot, my first one. In  advance of the festival I used the Access link on the YKnot Festival website and filled in their access form. All I wanted was permission to bring a small foldable chair in to the arena as I have health issues that require rest and cant manage a full day standing. I got a reply from Gigantic saying my access request was granted and I could bring a chair in to the arena.

When I got to the festival, security refused me entry with a chair saying all access requests had now been overridden. I explained that no one had contacted me but they still refused to let me i with a chair. I went to information and was told that no chairs full stop but they would sort me with access to the access viewing platform. Also they are not Gigantic and cant be held responsable for Gigantic even if thats were their access applications end up.

I did explain that all  I needed was my  camping chair to use as and when in out of the way places. But it was the viewing platform or nothing, so I accepted the wrist band and used the platform on the Thursday. This felt wierd as obviously there were people in need of more assistance then me there but with out seating festivals are  undoable for me.

Friday, I went back to the platform and was granted access with my wrist band and decided that as Dead Pony were only doing 30 minutes I could go over to the Giant Squid and get back to take a rest if needed. Dead Pony as good as ever but when I returned to the platform was informed that my wrist band only gave access to the toilets and not seating. arguedthat all around us are people sitting on chairs they have boughtin but  you are not honouring previously agreed access requests. Long story ended up with a second wrist band allowing me to use their chairs on the platform. Talked to lots of access guests who had a nightmare from being sent the wrong way, given wrong wrist bandsand told there were none left.

A total Sh** Show** no one seemed to  know what they were doing or what wrist bands allowed what. There was no toilet for disabled users on the Thursday and only put one in place near the viewing platform on Friday. I was told by a few people that this was the only one on site and  that explained why it always had a long que.

There were some nice and very helpful souls  helping out on the viewing platform just a shame the organisers at YNot are so useless and stick to a stupid rule on chairs. As anyone who went will have seen plenty of chairs all other the place,the only people being stopped from having them was disabled and other access ticket holders.

The chair situation meant I only really watched acts on the main stage. I did  go and see The Last Dinner Party and ended up shattered after that walk and standing.

I loved James, Kasabian, The LAthums, Charlatans, Reytons, DMA's and the Pigeon Detectives changing stage was a big bonus but can see why others were dissapointed  by this.

I thought they done well with putting down straw  and wood chips to tackle the mud but the acess stuff was rubbish. Will not be back and booked my tickets for Truck next year. 

3 minutes ago, Dales said:

I had what can be described as an interesting YKnot, my first one. In  advance of the festival I used the Access link on the YKnot Festival website and filled in their access form. All I wanted was permission to bring a small foldable chair in to the arena as I have health issues that require rest and cant manage a full day standing. I got a reply from Gigantic saying my access request was granted and I could bring a chair in to the arena.

When I got to the festival, security refused me entry with a chair saying all access requests had now been overridden. I explained that no one had contacted me but they still refused to let me i with a chair. I went to information and was told that no chairs full stop but they would sort me with access to the access viewing platform. Also they are not Gigantic and cant be held responsable for Gigantic even if thats were their access applications end up.

I did explain that all  I needed was my  camping chair to use as and when in out of the way places. But it was the viewing platform or nothing, so I accepted the wrist band and used the platform on the Thursday. This felt wierd as obviously there were people in need of more assistance then me there but with out seating festivals are  undoable for me.

Friday, I went back to the platform and was granted access with my wrist band and decided that as Dead Pony were only doing 30 minutes I could go over to the Giant Squid and get back to take a rest if needed. Dead Pony as good as ever but when I returned to the platform was informed that my wrist band only gave access to the toilets and not seating. arguedthat all around us are people sitting on chairs they have boughtin but  you are not honouring previously agreed access requests. Long story ended up with a second wrist band allowing me to use their chairs on the platform. Talked to lots of access guests who had a nightmare from being sent the wrong way, given wrong wrist bandsand told there were none left.

A total Sh** Show** no one seemed to  know what they were doing or what wrist bands allowed what. There was no toilet for disabled users on the Thursday and only put one in place near the viewing platform on Friday. I was told by a few people that this was the only one on site and  that explained why it always had a long que.

There were some nice and very helpful souls  helping out on the viewing platform just a shame the organisers at YNot are so useless and stick to a stupid rule on chairs. As anyone who went will have seen plenty of chairs all other the place,the only people being stopped from having them was disabled and other access ticket holders.

The chair situation meant I only really watched acts on the main stage. I did  go and see The Last Dinner Party and ended up shattered after that walk and standing.

I loved James, Kasabian, The LAthums, Charlatans, Reytons, DMA's and the Pigeon Detectives changing stage was a big bonus but can see why others were dissapointed  by this.

I thought they done well with putting down straw  and wood chips to tackle the mud but the acess stuff was rubbish. Will not be back and booked my tickets for Truck next year. 

Really sorry to hear about your access experience. That is really sh*tty, especially when there were were families all over the place with all kinds of paraphernalia. Hope you're putting in a detailed complaint to the organisers. A warning though, Truck is the same company. 

1 hour ago, LMP said:

You'll be absolutely fine. I went alone, in my 50s. Plenty of folks my age and generally very friendly. Not much will keep me away from live music, although I'm not one for moshing these days 😂

• Upvote 1

Just now, sheffinghell said:

Really sorry to hear about your access experience. That is really sh*tty, especially when there were were families all over the place with all kinds of paraphernalia. Hope you're putting in a detailed complaint to the organisers. A warning though, Truck is the same company. 

Yeah,they will be getting a complaint from me and lots of others who had a worst experience then me.

Oddly, I have been to Truck the last 2 years and they granted me permission to bring a chair. Showed the permission to a few security last year and no issue they let me through and after a while some of them know you and just wave you through. This year at Truck, I never needed to show anything and just went through to the arena and so was shocked that at YNot was an issue.

I felty sorry for the staff who had to stick to the official line whiletelling  access guest that  chair are not allowed when they could see people with chairs in the background.

Another point, I posted on the bar prices thread but I think it better here. I really liked the 440ml cans of lager and never bought a £2 cup. 

I usually drink real ale and thought this years selection was a bit uninspiring. Just the standard Leatherbritches ales. Generally i didn’t see many cups and most people also seemed to go for cans. The real ale tent looked dead most the time and I do worry that sales can’t have been good, and they may just think that’s todays trends, when in fact it’s just that the real ale offering was just poor. Was a shame.

Edited by Andeh03

23 minutes ago, Dales said:

This is poor as there were chairs in there over the weekend. Just shove it down your trousers like we did with our alcohol haha. All jokes aside, some things could do with being ironed out. I would try Truck if the lineup interested me enough, didn't think it held a candle to Y not though this year. I missed Kasabian for Yonaka, I don't regret the choice, maybe regret not watching the end of Kasabian after but had I done, I don't think I make the later stuff and I'd dropped it off Friday already through just tired etc. Yonaka was a choice from having seen them support CATB in Wales and to grab them with a smaller crowd in a tent before they get bigger. Lathums I gave a chance but unfortunately just didn't do it for me so kinda stamps the not catching them at Glastonbury okay now. Pigeon set being reduced in time was the pain.

14 minutes ago, sheffinghell said:

You'll be absolutely fine. I went alone, in my 50s. Plenty of folks my age and generally very friendly. Not much will keep me away from live music, although I'm not one for moshing these days 😂

I found I was very much happy to kinda stand, enjoy a drink and chill it while meeting like minded folk too. Lineup wise for the money, I usually compare sets where the cost of seeing them separately makes sense to make the point, it's not just this many bands etc for me. Weller who costs about £55-60 on his own was the difference here I think. James was doing a gig local to me but £50 for a decent spot and for what I was bothered to hear it was spot on. I enjoy KT Tunstall, a first viewing for me.  

Just now, Andeh03 said:

Another point, I posted on the bar prices thread but I think it better here. I really liked the 440ml cans of lager and never bought a £2 cup. 

I usually drink real ale and thought this years selection was a bit uninspiring. Just the standard Leatherbritches ales. Generally i didn’t see many cups and most people also seemed to go for cans. The real ale tent looked dead most the time and I do worry that sales can’t have been good, and they may just think that’s todays tends, when in fact it’s just that the real ale offering was just poor. Was a shame.

Thatchers Blood Orange cans for the win. Still £6.25 but a least a little more respectable than bloody £7 Somersby Apple. This was when I wasn't getting the free coke zero's and dropping my own drinks in,

21 minutes ago, Dales said:

Yeah,they will be getting a complaint from me and lots of others who had a worst experience then me.

Oddly, I have been to Truck the last 2 years and they granted me permission to bring a chair. Showed the permission to a few security last year and no issue they let me through and after a while some of them know you and just wave you through. This year at Truck, I never needed to show anything and just went through to the arena and so was shocked that at YNot was an issue.

I felty sorry for the staff who had to stick to the official line whiletelling  access guest that  chair are not allowed when they could see people with chairs in the background.

Sounds like a security company / staff training issue in that case. I hope you get an appropriate response as it potentially helps everyone in future.

Plus, they needed more seating on site, full stop, especially with the ground conditions. It's not as if it's a small site and there's no space for it. 

Had a great weekend at Ynot. Really friendly festival, great line up and generally well run by the organisers. Even the weather worked out ok until Sunday evening!

My general feedback would be... entry to the car park felt quite chaotic. Some rolling roads would have been helpful to stop the fields from churning up, and the staff were not very helpful in checking passes on a particularly muddy section. The queues to get wristbands were ridiculous and seemed to be largely due to over zealous can-counting which was just bizarre. More toilets (and toilet cleaning!) needed in the arena, especially around the main stage and some at the top of the hill by Scruff of the Neck would also be helpful. I thought the food was expensive and a little uninspiring. The drink options were good and I rarely had to wait to get served, with prices similar to other festivals. Given how militant the can-counting had been at the wristband exchange, I was surprised to see how easy people were able to get their own drinks into the arena, though it clearly helped to keep the bar queues down!

My favourite gigs of the festival were Kid Kapichi, Snayx, Snake Eyes, Arxx, Sprints, Chill Jenson, Calum Bowie, Bombay Bicycle Club, Everything Everything and Jamie Webster.