Football 2022/23

charlierc

7 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Isn’t it just regression to the mean. Liverpool beat Newcastle today and will probably finish above in the league, but that’s what you would expect from respective team/squad.

If that was the case liverpool should be finishing 2nd, but it does not work like that especially this season. This season was a great chance for Newcastle getting top 4, perhaps better than next season. Liverpool/Chelsea playing poorly and Newcastle having a much easier schedule. Next season they will be in Europe, I think they will struggle more next season in getting top 4. Especially with the expected improvement of Liverpool/Chelsea/United and Newcastle European adventure and not being used to the busier schedule. 

39 minutes ago, WS_Jack_III said:

That's Newcastle United's hopes of winning the League Cup gone. What on earth was Pope thinking. That bizarre loan move for Dubravka seeming even weirder now. Our form has taken a huge dip this past month and Man U picked up. Only heading one way unfortunately.

would you love it if you finished above man utd?

30 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Isn’t it just regression to the mean. Liverpool beat Newcastle today and will probably finish above in the league, but that’s what you would expect from respective team/squad.

I think it's one of those things that timing can be a thing in football. Liverpool were awful for most of January but we came across them when they had a fillip after winning the Merseyside Derby on Monday, and with Willock and Bruno unavailable, our midfield was missing two of the regulars.

The frustration is that Liverpool's defence was really pliable when we gave it a go. Even with ten men, we could've had a goal or two with Alisson making a few stops. But given the tone set by the nightmare that was the opening 20 minutes, sod's law that nothing just wanted to go in.

26 minutes ago, thetime said:

If that was the case liverpool should be finishing 2nd, but it does not work like that especially this season. This season was a great chance for Newcastle getting top 4, perhaps better than next season. Liverpool/Chelsea playing poorly and Newcastle having a much easier schedule. Next season they will be in Europe, I think they will struggle more next season in getting top 4. Especially with the expected improvement of Liverpool/Chelsea/United and Newcastle European adventure and not being used to the busier schedule. 

The thing is squad strength will generally tell in the last few months. You compare the benches today and Liverpool are just stronger.

4 hours ago, Punksnotdead said:

I reckon that's Potter sacked then?

I mean, this feels unsustainable. Chelsea have spent most of 2023 so far just looking kinda clueless, not helped by a confused hyperactive transfer policy or the fact they seem to change formations every game.

Losing to the bottom club under caretaker charge is certainly not going to help your job security.

32 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

The thing is squad strength will generally tell in the last few months. You compare the benches today and Liverpool are just stronger.

I'm aware that they are - we're still a work in progress, and the miserable display in defeat at Sheffield Wednesday in the FA Cup demonstrated our back-up is a hard step below, even before the decision to sell Jonjo Shelvey to Forest and not bring in a replacement.

Even then, doesn't always, and before the Merseyside Derby, there was no guarantee Liverpool were about to suddenly reboot back into, if not quite the machine they were even last season, at the very least closer to it. I wouldn't be 100% happy with the defence if I was a Liverpool fan, especially as Real Madrid in the Champions League is looming, but they seized the day here.

1 hour ago, WS_Jack_III said:

That's Newcastle United's hopes of winning the League Cup gone. What on earth was Pope thinking. That bizarre loan move for Dubravka seeming even weirder now. Our form has taken a huge dip this past month and Man U picked up. Only heading one way unfortunately.

Never say never. I knew it was going to be difficult - Manchester United maybe arriving at Wembley for that tie a few days after a big Europa League tie with Barcelona, but Rashford has been in brilliant form since the World Cup and they look to have ironed some of their shit out. The draw with Leeds indicates not all of the kinks out of their system, mind, but that's not quite the same as the rabble getting demolished by Brentford in August.

Dubravka's loan was poorly thought out, sure, and in retrospect, so was Darlow's to Hull, leaving us either with Karius - who last played a competitive game for Union Berlin during a loan spell in 2020 - or Mark Gillespie, who I forgot we still had and also hasn't played a competitive game since 2020.

Bruno's return is a bonus, as was a hint from Howe that Willock should also be available, given that's 2 of the first choice 3. But I'm aware something hasn't quite clicked since the FA Cup defeat at Sheffield Wednesday, which exposed a real lack of depth in the first team bubble.

Too soon to hope for a similar rush of blood to the head by a Manchester United first team player against Leicester tomorrow?

Edited by charlierc

20 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I mean, this feels unsustainable. Chelsea have spent most of 2023 so far just looking kinda clueless, not helped by a confused hyperactive transfer policy or the fact they seem to change formations every game.

Losing to the bottom club under caretaker charge is certainly not going to help your job security.

leeds to go down.

2 hours ago, charlierc said:

Never say never. I knew it was going to be difficult - Manchester United maybe arriving at Wembley for that tie a few days after a big Europa League tie with Barcelona, but Rashford has been in brilliant form since the World Cup and they look to have ironed some of their shit out. The draw with Leeds indicates not all of the kinks out of their system, mind, but that's not quite the same as the rabble getting demolished by Brentford in August.

Dubravka's loan was poorly thought out, sure, and in retrospect, so was Darlow's to Hull, leaving us either with Karius - who last played a competitive game for Union Berlin during a loan spell in 2020 - or Mark Gillespie, who I forgot we still had and also hasn't played a competitive game since 2020.

Bruno's return is a bonus, as was a hint from Howe that Willock should also be available, given that's 2 of the first choice 3. But I'm aware something hasn't quite clicked since the FA Cup defeat at Sheffield Wednesday, which exposed a real lack of depth in the first team bubble.

Too soon to hope for a similar rush of blood to the head by a Manchester United first team player against Leicester tomorrow?

It just feels so NUFC though to be heading into a final like this. Even when we've been good we've still found a way to f*ck it up which I thing Neil did say would happen.

8 hours ago, WS_Jack_III said:

It just feels so NUFC though to be heading into a final like this. Even when we've been good we've still found a way to f*ck it up which I thing Neil did say would happen.

It's an odd situation to be in. We're entering the cup final in ropey form, and now have a pretty unique goalkeeping absence situation, so it's less than ideal.

But saying that, cup finals can be strange things, so maybe there'll be odder twists to follow. Well I can hope so at least, anyway.

1 hour ago, thetime said:

Casimero and Fred will be in there imo, all the rest picks itself. 

Will be a tight game next week, defence is your strong point. I can't see you scoring more than 1 though. 

Didn’t see the whole game put saw Mctominay coming on. Is he out of favour or has he been injured?

The game on Thursday was a cracker. Yer man has done a great job turning things round. Big week ahead.

Just now, Comfy Bean said:

Didn’t see the whole game put saw Mctominay coming on. Is he out of favour or has he been injured?

Both, but he is pretty much 5th choice central midfielder when every ones fit. 

Good squad player, but he isn't getting near the bench when every one is fit.