Glastonbury watt 3 words locations

Crazyfool01

22 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Using it for precise location (3mx3m) or getting them close enough to be able to find themselves (e.g. within 4 w3w "boxes")?

The idea is for a precise location but it’s only as good as the GPS signal being received by the device. A bit like when your sat nav lags and catches up. 

18 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I’d imagine when close the incident become obvious … but that would also be the case for locating friends … mine is pyramid.stage.hat … it should work 

That puts you in the French alps just North of Geneva

9 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Had to look to see where in the world these places took you. 

This one takes you to some Chinese mountains so I’m predicting this is where you can find the warrior monks. 

I just decided to do the same because you’ve made me curious, and if there isn’t an exact match it takes you to the closest sounding three words. The Downlow one took me to a location around 3 miles from where I currently am. Weird.

6 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

I've just opened the app 5 times and have gotten five different results for where I am, and like I said earlier there's another smaller circle around my "location" that's usually the range of uncertainty (it's probably about 15m in diameter).

That's not indicative of anything. It can take a minute or two for your phone to lock on and calibrate (and the circle shown becomes smaller). Assuming you did this outdoors, I'd wager that if you'd left it open each time then it'd have settled down to a more consistent location after 30 seconds or so.

Basically the more satellites your phone can see, the more accurate the GPS becomes. If you've got a clear line of sight to the sky, then it can lock on easier and quicker - hence why it works significantly better outdoors and in that scenario can be considered accurate to less than 5 metres once initialised. If the phone is Galileo enabled (most made in the last 5+ years will be), then that goes down to approx 1 metre.

6 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

GPS signals will be weaker when more people are in the vicinity. You’ll be able to get to the right part of the field but not right to the spot you want to be at. 

No, this is incorrect. Just as the picture on your TV doesn't become worse when more people are watching it.

5 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I always thought it was based on your phone being able to get a signal 

GPS works without a mobile network or internet connection. 

9 hours ago, Cooter said:

And doesn't what 3 words work on a 3x3m area? So if you went to meet your mate at pipeline.hacksaw.adventure would they be covered in bruises, handcuffed and being carted off the pyramid stage by security?

Love a good pipeline hacksaw adventure though

1 minute ago, squirrelarmy said:

I always thought it was based on your phone being able to get a signal 

Being able to pick up a signal from the various satellites out there - yes. But that's not in any way impacted by the number of people in the vicinity*, as it's just picking up the signal being broadcast and doesn't (can't) create or maintain an open line of communication.

*unless, at a stretch, the people are packed so densely that they're actually blocking your line of sight to the sky.

1 minute ago, incident said:

Being able to pick up a signal from the various satellites out there - yes. But that's not in any way impacted by the number of people in the vicinity*, as it's just picking up the signal being broadcast and doesn't (can't) create or maintain an open line of communication.

*unless, at a stretch, the people are packed so densely that they're actually blocking your line of sight to the sky.

So might not work under the pyramid ? 

F4AFBE54-E7B8-42B2-9277-74958AB874FA.jpeg

Just now, lebenski said:

I'm confused as to why it's useful to know the what3words links to locations of the stages?  Isn't the value here in knowing exactly which 3x3m space your mate is standing in when you are trying to find them?

Well you could use it as a way to navigate to the stages but I think it will try and make you walk through fences and temporary structures.