Download 2023

15 minutes ago, willgooneday said:

Ok seen as I've been criticised for too much old shit in my previous attempts.

Thursday

Main - Metallica / Judas Priest / Sabaton / Sevendust

Other - Enter Shikari 

Avalanche - Reel Big Fish / Mighty Bosstones

Friday

Main - Bring Me the Horizon / Yungblud / Creeper / Pantera

Other -  Halestorm

Avalanche - Less Than Jake

Saturday

Main -  Metallica / Parkway Drive / Turnstile / Thunder

Other - Idles 

Avalanche - Machine Head

Sunday

Main - Slipknot / Zeal and Ardor / Badflower / Cheap Trick

Other - Yard Act

Avalanche - Kid Brunswick

Some of those acts are way too high like Yard Art, Badflower and Creeper but especially Zeal & Ardor subbing is even madder than Hawkwind subbing. Pantera and Bosstones have broke up.

Also why is Machine Head in a tent? They will draw a massive crowd!

Edited by jump

40 minutes ago, jump said:

Some of those acts are way too high like Yard Art, Badflower and Creeper but especially Zeal & Ardor subbing is even madder than Hawkwind subbing. Pantera and Bosstones have broke up.

Also why is Machine Head in a tent? They will draw a massive crowd!

You know bands can reform?

In what way is Zeal & Ardour subbing mad? - they are an incredible live band - okay they don't shift records but most people will want to see them. 

Supposed you could swap Machine Head and Yard Act

Edited by willgooneday

5 minutes ago, willgooneday said:

You know bands can reform?

In what way is Zeal & Ardour subbing mad? - they are an incredible live band - okay they don't shift records but most people will want to see them. 

Supposed you could swap Machine Head and Yard Act

Dimebag is dead and Phil is racist c**t.

I like them but Zeal & Ardor aren't even close to sub level, most people don't even know who they are. They were supporting Meshuggah a few weeks ago on tour.

43 minutes ago, jump said:

Dimebag is dead and Phil is racist c**t.

I like them but Zeal & Ardor aren't even close to sub level, most people don't even know who they are. They were supporting Meshuggah a few weeks ago on tour.

Vinnie is also deceased. Also, I don't think they're being serious with that lineup. 

Edited by Andre91

10 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

I've missed a few steps here - where is the Metallica on two nights chatter coming from? Presumably because they did Welcome to Rockville as a double-header last year?

Would assume one night is a heavy hits affair and another would be an anniversary record in full.

On the Download forums someone who's usually in the know has said it's Metallica x2, Bring Me with Architects subbing and another band is booked who are a weak headliner/strong sub is also playing. Andre also reckons Guns n Roses are the 4th headliner too.

Speaking of Guns has anyone seen them in the last few years? I'm seeing them tomorrow and I'm curious if Axl is voiced is fucked or not.

Edited by jump

18 minutes ago, jump said:

On the Download forums someone who's usually in the know has said it's Metallica x2, Bring Me with Architects subbing and another band is booked who are a weak headliner/strong sub is also playing. Andre also reckons Guns n Roses are the 4th headliner too.

Speaking of Guns has anyone seen them in the last few years? I'm seeing them tomorrow and I'm curious if Axl is voiced is fucked or not.

All of the above is correct. The GNR source is a mate who gets info quite regularly who also corroborated the Metallica x2 & BMTH news. I’m not as confident on GNR ad those two because they’ve been stated by two separate sources. 

I’ve seen a lot of GNR clips on TikTok the last week or so and he sounds atrocious. 

5 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

All of the above is correct. The GNR source is a mate who gets info quite regularly who also corroborated the Metallica x2 & BMTH news. I’m not as confident on GNR ad those two because they’ve been stated by two separate sources. 

I’ve seen a lot of GNR clips on TikTok the last week or so and he sounds atrocious. 

Ah shit, oh well I will get extra drunk then to enjoy myself!

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, jump said:

Ah shit, oh well I will get extra drunk then to enjoy myself!

He sounded surprisingly good when I saw the first run around. London Stadium in '17 or '18? Time has flown either way.

Good if Bring Me the Horizon are finally getting the push up. Should have had it on the back of That's The Spirit, for general size, but would argue they've got a superior headline show under their belt now. Their gig in Sheffield in the latter half of last year is as good a rock show as I've seen in a while.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Better get an early bird in, 3 of those days are gonna sell out and the 3rd one will sell a lot of weekend tickets!! 

I know they can't be blamed for chasing the money but that is serious chasing the money.

Edited by willgooneday

7 minutes ago, she bangs the drums said:

I've just been to see Guns n Roses, the sound was absolutely shocking for the first 7 songs, and even after this when they turned it up to a level which you couldn't hear other people's conversations over the band it was not great. 

Maybe the band are just not the great anymore?

Whether there good anymore these days is totally irrelevant. A hundred thousand people or more will still pay good money go and watch them. Even if hard rock fans and anyone who went to DL 2018 knows they're a bit crap live these days. Guns N Roses is by far the busiest day of Download I can remember of the two Downloads I went to, closely followed by Ozzy. Def Leppard, Tool and Avenged Sevenfold all felt pretty sparse comparatively. Slipknot was busy but not as busy as the first two probably largely due to the weather.

To be honest a selfish part of me hopes they don't book GNR and Metallica X 2 because that arena is gonna be hell to walk round all weekend with BMTH probably on par with Slipknot day. 

A lot of people I spoke to saw GNR 2018 because key members were back (Slash, Duff etc.). 

Hearing how bad they currently are, plus having them play again soon-ish, plus the lineup 'novelty' of 2018 could mean a lot of people would be less interested this time around. 

They'd still get a big crowd, though. Just think it'd be a bit of a waste.

10 hours ago, willgooneday said:

Doing a bit of a fag packet calculating based on the rumoured headliners - first announcement 8th July for headliners 

50 minutes ago, KillerKombo said:

Anyone have any idea when they may release the first headliner 

8th July is Metallica's last European date so it's fair guess. I'll say the 11th which is following Monday 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, she bangs the drums said:

I've just been to see Guns n Roses, the sound was absolutely shocking for the first 7 songs, and even after this when they turned it up to a level which you couldn't hear other people's conversations over the band it was not great. 

Maybe the band are just not the great anymore?

Well people being incredibly happy that Axl shows up on time is how low the bar is set for them!

22 hours ago, jump said:

So based on all of this?

Metallica / Judas Priest

Bring Me the Horizon / Architects

Metallica / Parkway Drive 

Guns N Roses / Def Leppard 

Although maybe Priest and Leppard could both be counted as weak headliner/strong sub. Haven't got a clue who you put in other against them though. 

30 minutes ago, willgooneday said:

So based on all of this?

Metallica / Judas Priest

Although maybe Priest and Leppard could both be counted as weak headliner/strong sub. Haven't got a clue who you put in other against them though. 

I'd still be surprised if GnR do it instead of Slipknot. Not hugely surprised but it still feels like Slipknot are gonna be there. Though there could be a Knotfest UK though in Download's big anniversary year seems unlikely. Could also be a UK tour but again seems unlikely they would do a world tour and not include a European festival run.

Also I thought the whole weak headliner/strong sub thing was in relation to BMTH? As the original source didn't know about the 4th day?

Just now, willgooneday said:

So based on all of this?

Metallica / Judas Priest

Meh, I’d skip Download if that was announced.

Considering Download is so skint that to have Metallica play at all they need to have them play twice they aren’t wasting a cheap headliner like Def Leppard as a sub. Also Judas Priest aren’t a headliner. I wouldn’t take GnR as the 4th just yet. Andre doesn’t talk shit but he could be told something which is wrong and is repeating it in good faith. I’m skeptical Copping would fork out that much money for them when they have ‘tallica already.

Once folk get past this boring insular (but usually correct) thinking of what a Download band is there’s so many more possibilities of what it a strong sub/weak headliner could be. Prodigy, Five Finger Death Punch, Deep Purple, The Scorpions, The Black Keys, Roger Waters, Ghost, Blink 182, Nine Inch Nails, Queens Of The Stone Age, Royal Blood, Fall Out Boy, Kings Of Leon etc.

1 minute ago, Andre91 said:

BMTH are in no way a weak headliner. 

How many Download headliners are subs at Reading? Almost all of them are outright headliners, they're definitely a weaker headliner especially as like A7X they're pretty divisive among a Download audience. 

18 minutes ago, willgooneday said:

How many Download headliners are subs at Reading? Almost all of them are outright headliners, they're definitely a weaker headliner especially as like A7X they're pretty divisive among a Download audience. 

Bring Me are headlining, there’s two main stages at R&L.

System who are one of the biggest headliners Download can actually get subbed Reading. Download is really a mid-sized festival nowadays, it was downsized whilst people were watching Saxon but didn’t notice. Even if an act subs R&L there’s a good chance they are a decent headliner for Download size wise as R&L is a bigger festival.

Edited by jump

16 minutes ago, jump said:

Bring Me are headlining, there’s two main stages at R&L.

System who are one of the biggest headliners Download can actually get subbed Reading. Download is really a mid-sized festival nowadays, it was downsized when people were watching Saxon. Even if an act subs R&L there’s a good chance they are a decent headliner for Download size wise.

It's really not a mid-sized festival - it has a capacity of 110,000 - a capacity it came pretty close to reaching for Guns N Roses and Ozzy's days as recently as 2018. 2019 was naturally a smaller festival in large part due to the atrocious weather and thousands of people going home/not buying day tickets.

Someone with more knowledge might know but I'm assuming it'll have done the same for Maiden this year.

Also for those swinging in the air about dates. It's gonna depend massively on whether the late October/early November think is because that's when they normally finish booking or for commercial purposes. Obviously we know they've booked headliners but the 5 festivals have all been announced October-November. 

2015 Headliners - 19th November 2014

2016 Headliners - 21st October 2015

2017 Headliners - 3rd November 2016

2018 Headliners 6th November 2017 - 13th November 2017 

2019 Headliners - 23rd October 2018 -  

Edited by willgooneday