news & politics:discussion

zahidf

4 minutes ago, Neil said:

if labour can just stop the country being as sh*t as it is.so that some thing work again. i remember when we used to have a working post service.

I would be willing to bet money that they will do. As I said yesterday even the worst Labour government will be much better than the best Tory one. 

do you know....? Gaza has got eight universities. that seems an extreme number in a small space.

(i guess teaching hospitals might be classed as universities within that count).

5 minutes ago, Neil said:

do you know....? Gaza has got eight universities. that seems an extreme number in a small space.

(i guess teaching hospitals might be classed as universities within that count).

And

Clearly a well educated people

Israeli defence minister vows to cut ties with Gaza Strip after war

The Israeli defence minister says that Once the war with Hamas is over, Israel will bring to an end its "responsibility" for life in the Gaza Strip.

During a briefing to parliament's foreign affairs and defence committee, Yoav Gallant listed the severing of ties with the coastal enclave as one objective of Israel's military campaign.

Gallant also outlined objectives of "the elimination of Hamas and destruction of both its military and governing capabilities" and the "creation of a new security reality in the region", according to a statement.

Israel withdrew its troops and settlers from Gaza in 2005, though it retained control over its airspace, shared border and shoreline.

Anyone any idea what this actually means.

How are Israeli "responsible" for life in the Gaza strip?

Just now, steviewevie said:

or maybe that there would be no routes between Gaza and Israel after the war...because I think some Gazans did come into Israel for work and stuff previously...

This what I fear

Absolutely no way to get anything in

5 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

but I guess he also means that they plan to go in and take out Hamas, but don't plan to stay and govern. Simple.

Read a comment piece today saying this. It would be very difficult/impossible for Isreal to administer Gaza once Hamas are done. Apparently long term they want the Palestian Authority to control Gaza again. The PA won't accept any offers from Isreal so in the short term they will ask Arab Govts to be peace keepers followed by the PA in a year or two. Their big problem is getting the Arab Govts to commit. A smaller problem is the extreme end of the Govt coalition want to create settlements in Gaza but that's not official policy yet.

40 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Yes

But I'm still unclear as to what it means

They are also technically responsible for security, food and medical supplies, and I think some administrative roles, under laws of occupation. 

Maybe they are alluding to this - but in order for them to not be considered as occupiers, they would need to give up control of airspace etc. That's possibly what they mean by new security reality.

1 minute ago, lazyred said:

On the other hand there's a piece in the Guardian saying Isreal want to drive the Gazans out permanantly to the Sinai part of Egypt.

Doesn't take much to realise this

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/oct/20/israel-palestinians-egypt-west-bombs-rafah-border-crossing

Edited by Skip997

These are the 2 opinion pieces for comparison. I hope its the first one because the second one is no solution to anything.

What happens after Israel invades Gaza? There’s no clear exit plan

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/6679a02a-6ebf-11ee-b0f3-053d83492f27?shareToken=5b026229b41df1836182e853ab116049

Israel’s endgame is to push Palestinians into Egypt – and the west is cheering it on

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/oct/20/israel-palestinians-egypt-west-bombs-rafah-border-crossing

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

There's still the Egypt border, and the sea.

They need that bloke who can part the Red Sea unless the escape route from Egypt only works one way.

38 minutes ago, lazyred said:

These are the 2 opinion pieces for comparison. I hope its the first one because the second one is no solution to anything.

What happens after Israel invades Gaza? There’s no clear exit plan

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/6679a02a-6ebf-11ee-b0f3-053d83492f27?shareToken=5b026229b41df1836182e853ab116049

Israel’s endgame is to push Palestinians into Egypt – and the west is cheering it on

No one knows. Israel probably don't know either. A lot depends on what happens with Hamas. So I'd say the Times one is more accurate at this stage.

Edited by steviewevie