news & politics:discussion

zahidf

30 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

I think the natural assumption is that they’d be inspired by a United Ireland or an independent Scotland but I could see them just saying sod it and going for it. Welsh labour is more left wing than Scottish labour and seems more receptive to the idea of independence.

It’ll happen!

The sons of Glyndwr are rising up!

Would be pretty mad if Wales was the first to go.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

Would be pretty mad if Wales was the first to go.

They are kind of unburdened by the weight of expectation. Its a new idea for them, it could get a bit swept along by its own momentum. Is my thinking. But yeah, would be a huge turn up for the books

Edited by mattiloy

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Just wait till Dominic Cummings appears before the joint Health and Science Committee Inquiry in May where he’ll be on the record about his time at Downing Street.

well, that will be after the local elections and Johnson will be well and truly safe with the tory party...as long as they keeps winning they'll put up with his chaos.

Just now, steviewevie said:

well, that will be after the local elections and Johnson will be well and truly safe with the tory party...as long as they keeps winning they'll put up with his chaos.

Tory MPs have already come out and said that it’s the constant drip of stories that they are worried about, anything from DC will add to that. Anything from DC in that hearing could be very damaging.

Besides the polls we are seeing now are quite close to the event, the YouGov one was started a day before the Electoral Commission investigation so the events of the last few days could take time to filter through.  

5 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Besides the polls we are seeing now are quite close to the event, the YouGov one was started a day before the Electoral Commission investigation so the events of the last few days could take time to filter through.  

Isn’t all voting done by post for this one? My vote was already cast and in the postbox before this scandal reared it’s head. 

17 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Just wait till Dominic Cummings appears before the joint Health and Science Committee Inquiry in May where he’ll be on the record about his time at Downing Street.

This is going to be as anticipated as Harry and Meghan with Oprah, isn’t it?

8 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Isn’t all voting done by post for this one? My vote was already cast and in the postbox before this scandal reared it’s head. 

I’m not sure how much will be postal, it’ll be more than usual but I’m voting in person still. I think this scandal could make an impact of it runs for a bit longer. 

5 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

This is going to be as anticipated as Harry and Meghan with Oprah, isn’t it?

I’m super pumped for it already, there has to be something very damaging to Johnson, surely!?

49 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

we'll see...hard to know with Cummings....might have just been a warning to back off.

The only way he doesn’t unleash something is of Johnson makes a deal with him. From all reports Cummings is upset at how Downing Street treated his fellow Vote Leave crew.

16 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

The only way he doesn’t unleash something is of Johnson makes a deal with him. From all reports Cummings is upset at how Downing Street treated his fellow Vote Leave crew.

Cummings surely not so dumb as to think a bunch of outsiders would be who Johnson showed loyalty to. He seemed to take his own dumping pretty well. 

10 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Cummings surely not so dumb as to think a bunch of outsiders would be who Johnson showed loyalty to. He seemed to take his own dumping pretty well. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/inews.co.uk/opinion/dominic-cummings-boris-johnson-inquiry-may-975255/amp

This outlines it pretty well, Cummings has no incentive to backdown unless of course Johnson offers him something. 

11 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

you just have to see the tomorrows papers...back to good news about vaccines and case numbers, Boris brushing off the flat refurbishment story...tories going to do very well next week.

For now they might do well although the poll leads show it isn’t going to be a domination yet. Besides we don’t know what else might come out in the meantime. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

It is amazing how after all that the Tories increase their lead in the polls, which leads me to believe it’s too soon, there needs to be more of these stories before it makes a big impact. 

Maybe....but I just don't think people are that bothered...they know Johnson is a bit dodgy, they might even like him a bit more for it...but he got brexit done, and we've had a very successful vaccine rollout which is going to bring this nightmare pandemic and lockdown to an end...people care about that more than him spending lots of money doing up his flat. The best chance for tories to lose an election is if the economy tanks along with more scandals...but obviously if economy tanks that probably means hardship and pain for many people. I know I keep going on about it but labour have lost scotland, they're losing Wales, they're losing large parts of northern england...all they have are the larger english cities and that will never be enough. I guess labour could admit defeat that they're never going to win on their own and do an electoral pact with other parties under the promise of PR if they get a majority...but I don't know if labour will ever admit they can't win alone, not yet anyway.

Edited by steviewevie

17 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Maybe....but I just don't think people are that bothered...they know Johnson is a bit dodgy, they might even like him a bit more for it...but he got brexit done, and we've had a very successful vaccine rollout which is going to bring this nightmare pandemic and lockdown to an end...people care about that more than him spending lots of money doing up his flat. The best chance for tories to lose an election is if the economy tanks along with more scandals...but obviously if economy tanks that probably means hardship and pain for many people. I know I keep going on about it but labour have lost scotland, they're losing Wales, they're losing large parts of northern england...all they have are the larger english cities and that will never be enough. I guess labour could admit defeat that they're never going to win on their own and do an electoral pact with other parties under the promise of PR if they get a majority...but I don't know if labour will ever admit they can't win alone, not yet anyway.

I agree they are properly up against it but I put a lot of the current Tory popularity down to Johnson, he’s a proven election winner and all the time he’s leader of the Tory party they’ll win as it seems not much will get the bulk of the public to turn on him. Which is what I was saying last night that this isn’t the same as Tory sleeve with John Major so we aren’t seeing the same effects yet.

However it just needs enough people to get sick of these types of stories and Tory MPs will decide they can’t tolerate Johnson anymore and kick him out. Or alternatively we are witnessing the start of some kind of coup by Gove and his people as the papers that had led with the stories this week are ones with links to Gove. 

You are completely right in your post, it is going to be very difficult but this could be the start of it.