news & politics:discussion

zahidf

Voters think Labour would be better than Conservatives on housing and house prices
Opposition would do better on issues including the economy, health, education, the environment, immigration and crime, public says.

Labour would be better than Conservatives on everything public says.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/jan/27/voters-think-labour-would-be-better-than-conservatives-on-housing-and-house-prices

Isnt it a bit funny that supporting genocide is perceived as being beneficial to your chances of being elected. It seems like that would be something that would be harmful to a person’s reputation.

I mean, at least Blair waited until he was prime minister before his complicity in genocide began in earnest…

• Like 1

Its actually quite disconcerting that the US and the UKs response to the ICJ’s (part of the UN) verdict is to tacitly support Israel’s conspiracy theory about parts of the UN having been infiltrated by Hamas by announcing a temporary cessation of funding.

It seems almost too obvious that its intended to undermine the authority of the UN and by extension the credibility of the ICJ. And the UK govt endorses that.

Its a dystopian direction of travel. The US and the UK responding to a ruling that there is a case to answer re: genocide by Israel, by throwing the UN and the ICJ on the bonfire too. Who needs international law anyway if its just telling you what you dont want to hear?

Edited by mattiloy
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, mattiloy said:

Its actually quite disconcerting that the US and the UKs response to the ICJ’s (part of the UN) verdict is to tacitly support Israel’s conspiracy theory about parts of the UN having been infiltrated by Hamas by announcing a temporary cessation of funding.

It seems almost too obvious that its intended to undermine the authority of the UN and by extension the credibility of the ICJ. And the UK govt endorses that.

Its a dystopian direction of travel. The US and the UK responding to a ruling that there is a case to answer re: genocide by Israel, by throwing the UN and the ICJ on the bonfire too. Who needs international law anyway if its just telling you what you dont want to hear?

not sure about conspiracy...UNRWA itself has suspended people and is investigating...but yes Israel has accused UNRWA of links with Hamas that go far deeper than this for a long time, and the timing of all this does look very convenient. Hopefully any investigation is quick and the funding is resumed, they desperately need the money.

Also still news that a pause/ceasefire agreement is close. 🙏

Edited by steviewevie

11 hours ago, mattiloy said:

Stop it, you anti-semitic Corbynite. (They don't like facts, or being fed after midnight).

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, cellar said:

Sorry, maybe that was a bit too flippant. I'm sure that everyone here is wholly concerned with genocide and the upholding of international law.

Only interested in slagging off Israel. Nothing about how hostage taking is against international law. just to be clear I was adding to your comments not aiming them at you 

Edited by Neil
  • Like 1

Sadly two teenage lads were stabbed and killed in Bristol last night in an area called knowle. When I was in hospital up county in Surrey I had a nurse asking me about knowle and very seriously asked me if it was posh I Told her that it was rough as f**k with a terrible reputation. She wouldn't have it and insisted it was posh.teachers getting stabbed by a five year old sums up knowle.

4 hours ago, Neil said:

Only interested in slagging off Israel. Nothing about how hostage taking is against international law. just to be clear I was adding to your comments not aiming them at you 

Hostage taking is bad, but genocide is worse.

29 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Hostage taking is bad, but genocide is worse.

who's genocide?  its a stated aim of hamas, anything else is your invention.

if israel intended genocide they have the means to do it - but don't, would it be the same the other way round?