news & politics:discussion

zahidf

2 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

If you engage your brain for half a second it’s pretty obvious what @Crazyfool01’s view point is. 

He seems to be left wing, he will vote LD to keep the tories out. However, the Lib Dems  have no chance of forming a government so their policies probs require less scrutiny for him as he’s doing it purely as an anti Tory vote (quite sensibly in my view). Labour are going to form the next government and therefore their policies merit more scrutiny. Pretty simple. Hope this helps you understand!

Spot on 

1 minute ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Must never question the likely new govt what a terrible thing to do ….  Hang my head in shame and must pledge my aleigance to every policy Labour has . Whilst helping them get elected by helping Lib Dem’s in my area . 

I'm still waiting for you to point out where I said Labour haven't shifted right?

Your post is a little bit childish, when I'm pointing out the difference in your language for a Party that are factually more right wing than Labour. It just seems interesting that you say these things yet say barely anything about the LD stance which is to the right of the Party you are complaining about.

9 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

without igniting anything...is there actually much difference between libdem and labour policy?

Traditionally they are centre right as they court voters from the Tory heartlands mainly whereas Labour currently are centre left.

Edited by Ozanne

10 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

without igniting anything...is there actually much difference between libdem and labour policy?

Tbf they’ve probably shifted more away from what I’d like hence my actual preference of the Green Party . Lib Dem policy was much stronger on the revoking of the oil licences and stronger on rejoin but after last conference less so . They are further right than I’d like . Actually my gut also aligns closer with corbyn than the Lib Dem’s but whether he’d get elected is a different discussion altogether . 

50 minutes ago, Neil said:

you made a claim of over-representation, and i asked how you knew that? or did you bullshit??????

Nobody keeps statistics, so it can only be anecdotal of course.

But given Jewish people make up a tiny proportion of the British population (0.3% I think), then out of 125000 paying attendees, you'd expect only about 375 of them to be Jewish. I personally know of at least 50 who went this year (personal friends, festival friends, and kids of friends), and randomly found myself amongst a crowd of over 20 at the Pyramid whilst waiting for Elton John.

I'm no statistician, but knowing what I know about secular Jewish culture, and given I only ever personally know or meet a tiny proportion of all the people at Glastonbury, I think that by extrapolation it's reasonable to conclude that Jewish people are over-represented at Glastonbury compared with their numbers in the general UK population.

Edited by doogie

Just now, doogie said:

Nobody keeps statistics, so it can only be anecdotal of course.

But given Jewish people make up a tiny proportion of the British population (0.3% I think), then out of 125000 paying attendees, you'd expect only about 375 of them to be Jewish. I personally know of at least 50 who went this year (personal friends, festival friends, and kids of friends), and randomly found myself amongst a crowd of over 20 at the Pyramid whilst waiting for Elton John.

I'm no statistician, but knowing what I know about secular Jewish culture, and given I only ever personally know or meet a tiny proportion of all the people at Glastonbury, I think that by extrapolation it's reasonable to conclude that Jewish people are over-represented compared with their numbers in the general UK population.

thanks for the long explanation, you might be right cos i'd say that non-white attendees is much fewer than should be proportional, which leaves space for others.

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I wonder why traditionally Lib Dems have done better in SW than up north..less industrial more rural/farmy?

dunno if you can say that's traditional - its recent, and the libs used to get enough votes uk-wide to be the govt.

they also used to get a lot of scottish seats.

3 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Traditionally but shifting more right for both 

That's how it currently is, Labour have moved to the centre left as I have outlined because they have understood that's how where the electorate is.

Just now, steviewevie said:

I wonder why traditionally Lib Dems have done better in SW than up north..less industrial more rural/farmy?

The electorate in the SW are more right wing than in the North so will generally vote for the LDs as they are centre right than Lab who are more leftwing. You can see that with LDs tailoring their policies to favour NIMBYs in recent by-elections for evidence of that. In some parts of the North the LDs used to do well in Uni towns, however they screwed that in the Coilition years.

5 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

I already know the answer . Not that anyone should feel compelled but it’s well worth doing if people can 

Absolutely, but you’ve got to wonder why someone as vocal on here as he is and loves the leader so much doesn’t at least join the party and/or hand out some leaflets. 

3 minutes ago, Neil said:

dunno if you can say that's traditional - its recent, and the libs used to get enough votes uk-wide to be the govt.

they also used to get a lot of scottish seats.

They did but getting into government with the Tories ruined all that.

They are in a fortunate position now where they can kind of just announce policies and will barely get any type of scrutiny at all. Yet when Labour announce policies you get people complaining that it doesn't go far enough even though it's better than the other main parties; take their green policies for instance.

3 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Absolutely, but you’ve got to wonder why someone as vocal on here as he is and loves the leader so much doesn’t at least join the party and/or hand out some leaflets. 

i've never joined because i might be in agreement with them one day but not the next, i wanna be free to criticise. I also think the members are thick, they elected Corbyn but then couldn't understand the factual basis for the attacks on him.

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

They did but getting into government with the Tories ruined all that.

They are in a fortunate position now where they can kind of just announce policies and will barely get any type of scrutiny at all. Yet when Labour announce policies you get people complaining that it doesn't go far enough even though it's better than the other main parties; take their green policies for instance.

people don't take interest in their policies cos people are not interested in the libdems

1 minute ago, fraybentos1 said:

No one is gonna agree with every policy. Members can and should criticise, its not a cult!

also wanted to be free to vote for another party if i couldn't support labour.

11 minutes ago, Neil said:

i've never joined because i might be in agreement with them one day but not the next, i wanna be free to criticise. I also think the members are thick, they elected Corbyn but then couldn't understand the factual basis for the attacks on him.

It's funny how that guy never explains his views, I wonder why that is...

7 minutes ago, Neil said:

people don't take interest in their policies cos people are not interested in the libdems

That's partly accurate but it goes to show the double standards some hold against Labour (bad faith in a way). I will say that the LDs could possibly be the 3rd largest party after the next GE so people are starting to take more interest/forgive them.

Edited by Ozanne