news & politics:discussion

zahidf

3 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Kind of agree, although I've seen AI art that does make you stop and think.

The horrible likelihood seems to be that AI will take over the creative jobs and humans will be left to do the soul destroying nonsense.

As someone whose business is in the creative arts I can tell you that the advance of the ability of AI is fast and scary. Things that would take me days of hard work to achieve, and that will involve some luck in the right circumstances occuring in those days, can already be done by AI to a 'reasonable' standard.

Not a replacement of the person standard - yet. But is is coming.

Glad I am not young and my work life is near an end as my business will struggle to compete in years to come.

2 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

As someone whose business is in the creative arts I can tell you that the advance of the ability of AI is fast and scary. Things that would take me days of hard work to achieve, and that will involve some luck in the right circumstances occuring in those days, can already be done by AI to a 'reasonable' standard.

Not a replacement of the person standard - yet. But is is coming.

Glad I am not young and my work life is near an end as my business will struggle to compete in years to come.

My work is also in the creative arts and we're already using AI generated images.

I understand the time saving factor, but I'm actually disgusted that AI is replacing human creativity.

Leave it to aiding scientific and medical research, where time saving is important.

19 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Just checked and I was wrong - the report was referring to 'lower income bracket' pensioners - so I guess that means the poorer people so scrapping the triple lock would have an adverse effect on the poorer people. Is Labour really brave enough to do it?

I think Labour will bring about change that would help poorer people in ways we don’t expect/ideally want. They’ll probably make amendments to existing policies instead of scrap some which is what I expect they’ll do for taxes and pensions.

It would be political suicide to get rid of the triple lock especially when some older people are feeling the pressure in the cost of living crises. The optics would be awful in a time when rising rates are making things worse and pushing us towards recession. 

19 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

My work is also in the creative arts and we're already using AI generated images.

I understand the time saving factor, but I'm actually disgusted that AI is replacing human creativity.

Leave it to aiding scientific and medical research, where time saving is important.

At the moment AI generate images of people is 'easy' to identify as so far the eyes are proving difficult - but that will change soon enough.

Animals including eyes are almost spot on already - I ran a load of images past my social media folks to ID which were AI.
Nobody was able to guess right and most admitted they just randomly guessed and had no idea which were Ai generated.

Soon you will be able to request an image of a specific moment of a specific natural occurance and AI will generate it for you in seconds.

9 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Well for a government that likes new oil and gas drilling and wants to justify it then it is a good decision.

Yeah it’s a cracking decision for a government that wants to ensure we remain reliant on the fossil fuel industry. Sunak plays a blinder again. 

1 hour ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Well for a government that likes new oil and gas drilling and wants to justify it then it is a good decision.

Ozanne does this thing where he will just post like 5 sarcastic comments in a row, it’s bizarre. Maybe an attempt at humour I dunno.

Hes been banned for it before as it happens so quite why he continues I don’t know. 

23 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Ozanne does this thing where he will just post like 5 sarcastic comments in a row, it’s bizarre. Maybe an attempt at humour I dunno.

Hes been banned for it before as it happens so quite why he continues I don’t know. 

If you get banned for sarcasm then I am screwed

31 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

I’m probably similar in a way …  I think we all have different posting styles . From my dms I sent I appreciate some of the efforts people have made to make this thread more pleasant . Discussion has been great the last 24 hours and I’d love to not have to interveen 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

I’m probably similar in a way …  I think we all have different posting styles . From my dms I sent I appreciate some of the efforts people have made to make this thread more pleasant . Discussion has been great the last 24 hours and I’d love to not have to interveen 

It has been so much nicer in the last 24 hours.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

The government that likes it blame anyone and everyone else for their own failings is at it again.

https://news.sky.com/story/michael-gove-names-and-shames-councils-who-failed-to-respond-adequately-to-mould-and-noise-complaints-12957253

Notice how the prisoner escape becomes less and less down to the govt … blame being put on the guards and others … 

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Yes well done Rishi. Good effort. Cracking good job. Keep up the good work.

I love sarcasm.

What are the odds that Rishi, his wife, or the extended family have a significant stake invested in oil/gas companies. 

5 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Notice how the prisoner escape becomes less and less down to the govt … blame being put on the guards and others … 

I have to say with that one that it sounds more and more very organised and a definate inside help job (happy to be proved wrong) where he would have escaped unless he was in solitary 24/7

3 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

I have to say with that one that it sounds more and more very organised and a definate inside help job (happy to be proved wrong) where he would have escaped unless he was in solitary 24/7

Oh I agree … but plenty of failings of govt . That lead to that being able to be possible . Prisons are another service in crisis … no hope of rehab whatsoever 

Why when Sunak is discussed do the tropes about him being loyal to big Indian business rather than acting in the interests of the UK have to come out. Its not a good look.

3 hours ago, Nobody Interesting said:

At the moment AI generate images of people is 'easy' to identify as so far the eyes are proving difficult - but that will change soon enough.

Animals including eyes are almost spot on already - I ran a load of images past my social media folks to ID which were AI.
Nobody was able to guess right and most admitted they just randomly guessed and had no idea which were Ai generated.

Soon you will be able to request an image of a specific moment of a specific natural occurance and AI will generate it for you in seconds.

Hands are difficult too. if you want to spot the ai image look at the hands.

13 minutes ago, lost said:

Why when Sunak is discussed do the tropes about him being loyal to big Indian business rather than acting in the interests of the UK have to come out. Its not a good look.

It's because he's strongly connected to the biggest Indian business.