news & politics:discussion

zahidf

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

ok, well if little left to tax so be it...but still tax it because some people make a lot.

and increase that inheritance tax too...tax it all. TAX TAX TAX. 

Not sure your political party will win many votes with that three word slogan

Just now, Nobody Interesting said:

It would be a very brave move as the 'blue wall' that Labour need to win is full of pensioners so alienating them is a risk.......

The triple lock does need to go though so if they did it then great

Clearly won't mention it before the election, once he's in power he will have to find the money from somewhere and the pensioners are the only ones with any!

2 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

The answer is pretty obvious, people need to understand what they read,

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/keir-starmer-pledges-not-increase-30852604

Keir Starmer has vowed that working people will not be hit by higher taxes if he becomes PM.

In an interview with the Mirror, the Labour leader pledged not to hike levies - including income tax.

Making the landmark promise, he said: “We will do nothing to increase the burden on working people, whether it comes to tax or anything else. They have paid a heavy price for the incompetence of the government after the last 13 years.”

Notice how he uses the phrase "working people", that clearly doesn't include pensioners, so he can reduce benefits or even increase taxes on pensioners and still keep to his promise, don't think this was a slip, that is the plan.

sounds good.

4 minutes ago, lost said:

If I was young now I'd studying something that could lead to a job that can be done remotely from anywhere in the world. Both pension and NHS spending is going to be absolutely crippling for the next generation.

The problem with jobs like that is that these are jobs that technology would also be able to do from anywhere in the world.

I am so glad I am not young as picking something to do as work from your life is hard as you have no idea what jobs tech will take over. A friend was telling us how happy she is that her son has the A levels he needs to go and study to be an Architect.

Architect work could soon be all done by AI as AI will have instant access to every building built in the world and could do real time changes to plans as the user types in their requirements.

2 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

Clearly won't mention it before the election, once he's in power he will have to find the money from somewhere and the pensioners are the only ones with any!

Some pensioners have lots.

Most pensioners only have the state pension.

Very risky, but agree it needs to be done.

4 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Architect work could soon be all done by AI as AI will have instant access to every building built in the world and could do real time changes to plans as the user types in their requirements.

AI will never be able to compete against both the clients wanting last minute changes and having to deal with planning restrictions. 

Anything you design is fluid from the moment it’s a concept until it is physically created. 

As complex as AI becomes it will never match the creativity of a human brain.

7 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Pretty sure this isn’t true 

Yeah i'm pretty sure you get pension credit for a start. It would of changed now with interest rates / annuity's going up but a few years ago I remember reading you had to save well into 6 figures in your private pension to be worthwhile actually having one.

Just googled it gov says 74%

Private pension income was received by 74% of pensioners in FYE 2021 

Edited by lost

42 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

All I am saying is if we're ever going to get rid of inequality then we need to shift tax from labour to wealth

don't have to be vicious to achieve that, i believe that blair shifted taxes onto the wealthy

8 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

i'd say it probably is, my generation didn't have a job for life, and when you changed job, they normally gave you the option to get any pension contributions back . i always took the money, i reckon most people did.it didn't seem worthwhile to have pension money where you didn't work anymore.

Edited by Neil

14 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

The problem with jobs like that is that these are jobs that technology would also be able to do from anywhere in the world.

Way to go!

Mechanise all dull, repetitive jobs.

Introduce universal income

Watch mental health and creativity improve (eventually)

8 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Way to go!

Mechanise all dull, repetitive jobs.

Introduce universal income

Watch mental health and creativity improve (eventually)

Hell yes - universal income is something I have backed for a long long time. It will, if AI takes most jobs, have to happen but I think the UK will only do it 'kicking and screaming'

22 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

It was on an ONS publication recently. Most currently in receipt of a pension just have the state pension and forecasts for the future are that 1 in 3 will still only have that despite all the efforts to get people on work placed pensions.

21 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

AI will never be able to compete against both the clients wanting last minute changes and having to deal with planning restrictions. 

Anything you design is fluid from the moment it’s a concept until it is physically created. 

As complex as AI becomes it will never match the creativity of a human brain.

Time will tell but the latest AI I have seen works in real time as you type making changes as key words are entered and that is far faster than any human could do - and AI will know all the planning restrictions and so will comply with them and refuse changes that do not.

1 minute ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Time will tell but the latest AI I have seen works in real time as you type making changes as key words are entered and that is far faster than any human could do - and AI will know all the planning restrictions and so will comply with them and refuse changes that do not.

Until AI can simulate emotion it won’t be useful for design. It may be able to create something efficient to a set of parameters but it won’t create anything that makes you stop and think. 

Original buildings such as the Gherkin in London would never exist in an AI driven world. Creating something like that is beyond impractical. The world needs the madness that only comes with the human brain. 

The majority of pensioners also have investment income on top of private pensions on top of state pension (plus they dont pay NI)

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/pensioners-incomes-series-financial-year-2020-to-2021/pensioners-incomes-series-financial-year-2020-to-2021

Private pension income was received by 74% of pensioners in FYE 2021 – more than all previous years in the series. FYE 1995 and FYE 2010 saw 59% and 69% respectively. The overall increase between FYE 1995 and 2021 is statistically significant, as was the increase between FYE 2010 and FYE 2021.

Investment income was received by 64% of all pensioners in FYE 2021. The percentage of pensioners in receipt of investment income has decreased from 70% in FYE 2010. This figure was 73% in FYE 1995. The decreases between FYE 1995 and 2021 and between FYE 2010 and FYE 2021 are both statistically significant.

Number with investment income falling whilst number with private pensions rises.

24 minutes ago, Neil said:

i'd say it probably is, my generation didn't have a job for life, and when you changed job, they normally gave you the option to get any pension contributions back . i always took the money, i reckon most people did.it didn't seem worthwhile to have pension money where you didn't work anymore.

Well it isn’t as Lost’s post confirms. Three quarters of pensioners have a private pension

35 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

31 minutes ago, lost said:

Yeah i'm pretty sure you get pension credit for a start. It would of changed now with interest rates / annuity's going up but a few years ago I remember reading you had to save well into 6 figures in your private pension to be worthwhile actually having one.

Just googled it gov says 74%

Just checked and I was wrong - the report was referring to 'lower income bracket' pensioners - so I guess that means the poorer people so scrapping the triple lock would have an adverse effect on the poorer people. Is Labour really brave enough to do it?

3 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Until AI can simulate emotion it won’t be useful for design. It may be able to create something efficient to a set of parameters but it won’t create anything that makes you stop and think. 

Original buildings such as the Gherkin in London would never exist in an AI driven world. Creating something like that is beyond impractical. The world needs the madness that only comes with the human brain. 

Kind of agree, although I've seen AI art that does make you stop and think.

The horrible likelihood seems to be that AI will take over the creative jobs and humans will be left to do the soul destroying nonsense.

1 minute ago, Nobody Interesting said:

scrapping the triple lock would have an adverse effect on the poorer people. Is Labour really brave enough to do it?

Just use means tested benefits to prop up the poorer pensioners.. Pensions credit, housing benefit, council tax benefit etc..

6 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Certainly will not disagree with that but AI would be far cheaper than people and money is what drives a lot of those that want stuff built. If you wanted to extend your home would you use a human architect costing you up to £10,000 or use an online tool that might cost £1,000?

People that invest in AI to replace people will undercut the human charge to get the business.

Just now, Nobody Interesting said:

If you wanted to extend your home would you use a human architect costing you up to £10,000 or use an online tool that might cost £1,000?

Personally I’d do it myself. But I have been using CAD and associated software for about 25 years and have done drawings for planning applications so I do understand it all better than most.