news & politics:discussion

zahidf

13 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Some will obviously - always the case - but I don't think its going to be this huge fire sale some where suggesting.

Around 25% of mortgages have shifted on to these new higher rates and the ones who have shifted are coping it would seem.  We aren't seeing huge defaults.  Interest rates are now peaking it seems and will probably fall soon, inflation is coming down, wages have been increased.

We are going to have much less disposable income in the economy for a while but I don't think we are going to see a market crash. 

And in the end people still need to move house.  Lets talk next year but I reckon we have tough times ahead but people seem to be coping. 

It never looks like a crash until its been and gone. They also can't 'crash' like stocks do, it's a gradual slide over several years.

I would guess 20% nominal falls from the peak last year through to 2025 ish which in real terms will be a lot more than that which is good. Pay rises of 6% on average atm I think it is. 

The only way there would be total carnage is if we had a recession with loads of job losses but I don't think anyone wants that to happen.

2 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Is it good ? 

Its good for a first time buyer but its one less rental property on the market.  With little social housing around I am not sure what good looks like anymore.

No one is going to cry a tear for the struggling landlord but not everyone can buy a house.  

If the FTB was previously renting then it balances out as they will have vacated that property to buy 

15 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

You mean things like stamp duty and conveyancing fees?  or increased mortgage ? 

stamp duty and the legals, and getting everything set-up moving is always expensive with incidentals.

Edited by Neil

11 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

If they're going to tax wealth, then property is the obvious thing that taxes should be increased on. Ridiculous how much money some people have made over the last few decades.

Any gov is too scared to. They’ll continue to just tax average joes while young people continue to fund great boomer pensions that we won’t get.

boomers and home owners (often the same people) actually vote. They’re a protected species 

2 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Any gov is too scared to. They’ll continue to just tax average joes while young people continue to fund great boomer pensions that we won’t get.

boomers and home owners (often the same people) actually vote. They’re a protected species 

I think I am a boomer - born mid 60's - and am a home owner and yes I vote even though I often wonder why I bother.

The value of my home is irrelevant though as we are not selling and moving and cannot release it's value without selling though I wish there was a way (not equity release as that is a con) so those with nobody to leave it too could realise their asset and use the money (well we would) to help fund local community projects.

18 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

If they're going to tax wealth, then property is the obvious thing that taxes should be increased on. Ridiculous how much money some people have made over the last few decades.

Certainly needs doing for those with more than one property but if they taxed gains on a single property owner (ie their home) that would not go down well.

3 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

You must have a decent pension if you can afford to do that...

Typical self serving boomer 😛 

If you really must know my parents died young and so me and my brother inherited money..............

but don't let that stop your snide little insults - good to see that today you are not even trying to hide the sort of person you really are.

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

It was a mild joke 🙂 

and no, I really don't care about your personal details.

Yep - a nasty little troll is what you are.

Crawl back under the rock you came from as the world really does not need thoughtless, callous little twunts like you in it.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

20 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

I think I am a boomer - born mid 60's

potentially.. you're on the cusp for sure depending on the year

21 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

The value of my home is irrelevant though as we are not selling and moving and cannot release it's value without selling though I wish there was a way (not equity release as that is a con) so those with nobody to leave it too could realise their asset and use the money (well we would) to help fund local community projects.

Yeah you'd need to sell and downsize i guess

12 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

If you really must know my parents died young and so me and my brother inherited money..............

but don't let that stop your snide little insults - good to see that today you are not even trying to hide the sort of person you really are.

Come on, there's no way he could have known that

31 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Yep - a nasty little troll is what you are.

Crawl back under the rock you came from as the world really does not need thoughtless, callous little twunts like you in it.

I mean this in a nice way but put him back on ignore, it’ll be better for you and everyone else in the thread as no-one needs to see his nasty posts. This thread will be much better off.

1 hour ago, Neil said:

stamp duty and the legals, and getting everything set-up moving is always expensive with incidentals.

It doesn’t help that with all these costs that the costs of mortgages will be going up too. It’s only to hurt people in the long run when they barely have any spare cash as it is. 

31 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I mean this in a nice way but put him back on ignore, it’ll be better for you and everyone else in the thread as no-one needs to see his nasty posts. This thread will be much better off.

He is on ignore but I made the error of looking at one reply and saw his nastiness in full effect and I shall admit it hurt - he will now go and pleasure himself with that knowledge.

I would much rather my parents were alive than have the ability to help others financially but they are not so I do.

~So sorry to other readers but there are times that things need to be said even though I know they make no difference to the vile little toe rag..................... oh and his down vote................. oh no, how will I cope with such a thing, oh the pain (please read that with due sarcasm)

1 minute ago, Nobody Interesting said:

He is on ignore but I made the error of looking at one reply and saw his nastiness in full effect and I shall admit it hurt - he will now go and pleasure himself with that knowledge.

I would much rather my parents were alive than have the ability to help others financially but they are not so I do.

~So sorry to other readers but there are times that things need to be said even though I know they make no difference to the vile little toe rag..................... oh and his down vote................. oh no, how will I cope with such a thing, oh the pain (please read that with due sarcasm)

I get where you are coming from, sorry his comments made an impact. Hope you are ok. 

6 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

When Bliar sounds like a good idea you know how bad things in the UK are!!

Hopefully we don’t fall out but I put Blair as our 2nd best ever PM.