news & politics:discussion

zahidf

1 minute ago, Skip997 said:

2 months on a Moshav (a less friendly version of a kibbutz, where you get paid a pittance) and 3 months on a kibbutz.

When we got together we said we would go over, kids put paid to that then the place is been in a mess so other priorities happened.  Don't think we will ever make it now

1 minute ago, fred quimby said:

When we got together we said we would go over, kids put paid to that then the place is been in a mess so other priorities happened.  Don't think we will ever make it now

I wouldn't set foot in the country now, unless I could get to The West Bank through Jordan. If I'd have known what I knew after about 2 months of arriving I wouldn't have gone in the first place.

TBH the only places worth visiting (that I saw) are Old Jerusalem and Masada

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masada

21 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

First Intifada

Most shops in the Muslim quarter of Old Jerusalem (one of the best cities I've ever been to) closed. Fortunately hostels still open.

Was quite tense at times, had to be careful talking to some Israeli's. Once they knew you'd been hanging out with Palestinians, all sorts of tricks would be used to gain info that would implicate them in something (anything) illegal.

most Israeli's have met people who want to kill them, and they know its not just big talk, but they mean it!

21 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

To be honest I think we should all be concerned about what is happening in the middle east, and in Ukraine. 

Some people only seem to be concerned about the conflict that involves the Jewish state though?

1 minute ago, Neil said:

most Israeli's have met people who want to kill them, and they know its not just big talk, but they mean it!

24 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

that would implicate them in something (anything) illegal.

The simplest thing would have done, they weren't necessarily looking for info on some plot to kill Israelis, not that I'd have known anyway.

Just something/anything that could lead to investigation/harassment of Palestinians or Arabs in general.

2 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

The simplest thing would have done, they weren't necessarily looking for info on some plot to kill Israelis, not that I'd have known anyway.

Just something/anything that could lead to investigation/harassment of Palestinians or Arabs in general.

anything which might protect them from attack, how dreadful of them.

Just now, Neil said:

anything which might protect them from attack, how dreadful of them.

Your really not getting me here!

WTF has whether or not I smoked hash with Arabs got to do with potential planned attacks.

Go over and have a look/chat and note the majority attitude and report back.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Your really not getting me here!

WTF has whether or not I smoked hash with Arabs got to do with potential planned attacks.

Go over and have a look/chat and note the majority attitude and report back.

cos you're the only one who's been to Israel?

Edited by Neil

10 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I went to Israel for a week with work a few years ago, didn't really want to, but I went. My main impression was that it was too hot.

I was there for 6 months over summer 2000. During a heatwave. The Israelis were struggling. I basically melted

15 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

I was there for 6 months over summer 2000. During a heatwave. The Israelis were struggling. I basically melted

40 degree C in the Negev at 8am in March. You really could have fried an egg on a metal trailer by 11am

12 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

40 degree C in the Negev at 8am in March. You really could have fried an egg on a metal trailer by 11am

I was in the north, so the cooler part of the country. And it was in the hills.

Still too much for a pasty fat bloke from the north of England

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

How come you are never bothered by any other conflict around the world?

Even though you're clearly just trying to wind up (and insinuate some sort of prejudice again, judging by your next post) - there are plenty of reasons why one might be more concerned with this conflict over others. Probably the most compelling is the number of children killed in the conflict - more than double the annual number in 2020, 2021 and 2022 over all conflicts in the globe, in less than 3 months.

Regardless of your stance, that's horrific.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

And inexcusable, regardless

True it is inexcusable but there’s awful things going on in Ukraine too for example yet you don’t say anything only comments about Israel. 

35 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

well if Israel want this conflict to escalate and to be fighting a war on multiple fronts they're going the right way about it.

They're safe as houses.

USA and UK (maybe France) will intervene if necessary.

56 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

easy to say any old sh*t when you know you'll never have to actually do it.

seriously trying to mitigate climate change by implementing Net Zero will actually create jobs.

6 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

At some point someone is going to have to be honest with the country about our levels of tax and investment in public services.

I would imagine that those people would conveniently have to be Labour, the Tories never have to answer this.