Football 2020/2021

zahidf

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

I don't really understand why people have such high hopes for Chelsea this season. They still have pretty much the same defence and a manager who has done very little to suggest he has much tactical understanding.

They spent 250m to draw away at the baggies, if that was united they would be crucified.

2 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

They spent money on players people had signed in football manager. 

A squad containing Werner, Havertz, Ziyech, Pulisic, Abraham, Hudson-Odoi, Mount, Giroud, Chilwell, Thiago Silva, Kante, Kovacic, RLC and more should be capable of challenging for the title.

A decent manager would have them challenging.

Just now, thetime said:

Fair play to Roy Hodgson coming out about the handball rule, majority of managers are to scared.

Rules are one thing but it’s the inconsistency that gets me. Palace concede a penalty yet there’s a clear handball in the build up to Chelsea’s equaliser that goes unpunished, VAR does fuck all.

I’m not one for little club mentality but I can’t help but feel that had it been us 3-2 down and going for an equaliser that handball gets given.

8 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Rules are one thing but it’s the inconsistency that gets me. Palace concede a penalty yet there’s a clear handball in the build up to Chelsea’s equaliser that goes unpunished, VAR does fuck all.

I’m not one for little club mentality but I can’t help but feel that had it been us 3-2 down and going for an equaliser that handball gets given.

Different circumstances, by the rules Chelsea's equaliser shouldn't of been disallowed.

Saying that everton shouldn't got the pen either, same with palace v united.

3 minutes ago, thetime said:

Different circumstances, by the rules Chelsea's equaliser shouldn't of been disallowed.

Saying that everton shouldn't got the pen either, same with palace v united.

Rules state any handball, even if accidental, in the build up to a goal means it should be disallowed.

You can apply any bullshit about “phases of play” you want but ultimately the fucker handled the ball and ten seconds later it was in our net. 

31 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Just Werner, Thiago, Kante, Ziyech, Pulisic, Kovacic from that list.

Plus Azpeliicueta (sp), Alonso, Zouma, Caballero...

So players like werner who didn't get close to winning a league titles, pulisic who got close once and Ziyech/Thiago who have been in weaker leagues. Let's face it is Chelsea put their entire team on the transfer market, liverpool and City would not be ripping that squad apart. Chelsea are a side who should be top 4, but even with a good manager I don't see them as title contenders. Frank is fortunate that the media have managed to get people to swallow the excuse it's all down to the keeper.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

Rules state any handball, even if accidental, in the build up to a goal means it should be disallowed.

You can apply any bullshit about “phases of play” you want but ultimately the fucker handled the ball and ten seconds later it was in our net. 

They changed the rule this season.

Just now, pink_triangle said:

So players like werner who didn't get close to winning a league titles, pulisic who got close once and Ziyech/Thiago who have been in weaker leagues. Let's face it is Chelsea put their entire team on the transfer market, liverpool and City would not be ripping that squad apart. Chelsea are a side who should be top 4, but even with a good manager I don't see them as title contenders. Frank is fortunate that the media have managed to get people to swallow the excuse it's all down to the keeper.

city and Liverpool are miles ahead of the rest, no team are title chasers. You probably have a bunch of 4 or 5 clubs going for 3rd and 4th.

3 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

You asked for players who have challenged for titles in Chelsea’s squad. I’ve named ten. How many Leicester players had experience challenging for titles?

With that level of investment and talent I would be expecting them to at least challenge Liverpool and City. A competent manager would fix the defence and gel that squad into something capable.

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

You asked for players who have challenged for titles in Chelsea’s squad. I’ve named ten. How many Leicester players had experience challenging for titles?

With that level of investment and talent I would be expecting them to at least challenge Liverpool and City. A competent manager would fix the defence and gel that squad into something capable.

The Leicester argument doesn't hold, they are a complete outlier. Chelsea are the 2020 hipster team with a load of hyped young players who have achieved very little in the game. Maybe some will in the future, but they are miles off liverpool and City even with a decent manager. 

26 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

The Leicester argument doesn't hold, they are a complete outlier. Chelsea are the 2020 hipster team with a load of hyped young players who have achieved very little in the game. Maybe some will in the future, but they are miles off liverpool and City even with a decent manager. 

Why doesn’t the Leicester argument hold exactly? Surely they prove that with momentum and belief anything is possible.

How do you define “achieved”? The likes of Werner and Ziyech and consistently performed to a high standard in the Champions League for a few seasons now. As stated Thiago has won almost everything in his career, Pulisic challenged at Dortmund...

The only player you could objectively say they’ve signed purely on potential is Havertz.

19 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Why doesn’t the Leicester argument hold exactly? Surely they prove that with momentum and belief anything is possible.

How do you define “achieved”? The likes of Werner and Ziyech and consistently performed to a high standard in the Champions League for a few seasons now. As stated Thiago has won almost everything in his career, Pulisic challenged at Dortmund...

The only player you could objectively say they’ve signed purely on potential is Havertz.

I think the Leicester title win was a freak set of circumstances which hadn't happened in years before and almost certainly won't again.

In terms of their squad as a whole a lot of the home-grown young players are massively hyped because they are young and English, but have looked far from amazing in the top league.

As you say the signings have pedigree, but it's not like the big boys were all fighting to get the same players. They aren't players like when Man U signed Van Persie who have proven track record over a number of seasons at the level they are currently playing.

I just don't see that transformative signing that will take chelsea from a low points total 3rd/4th place to 1st or second. A top manager could organise the defence, but they aren't great defenders.

11 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

A squad containing Werner, Havertz, Ziyech, Pulisic, Abraham, Hudson-Odoi, Mount, Giroud, Chilwell, Thiago Silva, Kante, Kovacic, RLC and more should be capable of challenging for the title.

A decent manager would have them challenging.

I don't actually disagree but it is a very fifa/football manager batch of signings.