Coach Ticket on Crutches

Emily147

I have a coach ticket running from Leicester, however I have broken my foot, i'm on crutches and have a surgical boot fitted. Because you don't get your ticket until you get on the coach I am stuck with having to travel by coach which is an issue as I will not be able to carry my luggage, so will need to bring a trailer or something to help me, as well as a chair. Being on a coach you are limited to the amount of luggage you can carry, so I really need to travel by car instead with my friend who also has a coach ticket. I have contacted the access people but they stopped replying to me basically saying there's nothing they can do to help and that I have to travel by coach. 

Has anyone got any advice, it will be greatly appreciated?!

If both you and your friend have coach tickets I would just organise your gear so that you just have your tent etc in one pile and everything else in another. If you just find a place to sit your friend can bring in the big stuff put it in lock up's and either come back out to you or if you are able to just do the tent on your back perhaps you can get in together. As far as I'm aware the bus puts you much closer to the ped gates than you will be in the car parks so it's probably still less actual moving around. It can be a 10 minute walk (not on crutches) from some parts of the car parks to the ped gates so not sure what you'd gain from driving. 

1 minute ago, gigpusher said:

If both you and your friend have coach tickets I would just organise your gear so that you just have your tent etc in one pile and everything else in another. If you just find a place to sit your friend can bring in the big stuff put it in lock up's and either come back out to you or if you are able to just do the tent on your back perhaps you can get in together. As far as I'm aware the bus puts you much closer to the ped gates than you will be in the car parks so it's probably still less actual moving around. It can be a 10 minute walk (not on crutches) from some parts of the car parks to the ped gates so not sure what you'd gain from driving. 

My friend is quite a small girl, as am I. She definitely wouldn’t be able to carry my stuff as well as her own. What we would gain by going in a car is we could take a trailer so she can pull both our bags along and have breaks. 

17 minutes ago, Emily147 said:

My friend also has a coach ticket so that won’t work. You have to be on the coach to get your ticket. 

You don't both have to though... The driver will most likely give the tickets out at services, if your friend is following closely she can be there to collect hers too.

The alternative is to not go on the coach and just drive to the festival. Your unclaimed tickets will go to the box office and you can collect from there. The festival don't publicise this as they don't want thousands of people doing it.

If she drives you to the coach station, you both explain the situation to the driver and tell him you will be following him in the car, I really don't think he would have a problem with that. Or if you get on the bus and she follows. I mean, why on earth would the bus driver refuse to give her her ticket if you are both there to explain the situation? 

• Upvote 1

Taking a car could leave you at a major disadvantage. You risk being parked a long way from the gates meaning a long treck over rough, possibly muddy, ground, you with crutches, and your friend with a heavily loaded trolly. Guessing 30mins if you are parked in one of the outer fields.

I'd suggest your best option might be take a fold-up trolly on the coach (loads available on Amazon). Folded they are not outlandishly large and if you keep the rest of the stuff you take to a minimum shouldn't cause any issues on the coach. The coach will drop you near to Gate A minimising your walk. Leave all but your tent(s) in the (free) lockup just inside gate A and head for your chosen campsite to pitch up. Collect stuff from the lockup at your leisure.

You might want to camp as close to the action as you can to minimise daily walking.

Good luck, I've done Glastonbury with a friend on crutches before. Most people will lookout for you and help you through crowds.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HalfAnIdiot said:

Taking a car could leave you at a major disadvantage. You risk being parked a long way from the gates meaning a long treck over rough, possibly muddy, ground, you with crutches, and your friend with a heavily loaded trolly. Guessing 30mins if you are parked in one of the outer fields.

I'd suggest your best option might be take a fold-up trolly on the coach (loads available on Amazon). Folded they are not outlandishly large and if you keep the rest of the stuff you take to a minimum shouldn't cause any issues on the coach. The coach will drop you near to Gate A minimising your walk. Leave all but your tent(s) in the (free) lockup just inside gate A and head for your chosen campsite to pitch up. Collect stuff from the lockup at your leisure.

You might want to camp as close to the action as you can to minimise daily walking.

Good luck, I've done Glastonbury with a friend on crutches before. Most people will lookout for you and help you through crowds.

@Emily147, I think @HalfAnIdiot's is very sensible advice, about using the lockups. You should definitely do that regardless of how you get to the festival!

Also, someone recommended one of these on a different thread and I think it might be a good idea for you too! https://www.decathlon.co.uk/backpack-chair-camo-id_8339715.html

And don't forget to maybe pimp your crutches with led lights, not only because it'll be fun but because it'll make you more visible and most people will move a bit out of your way at night.

Best of lucks, have a great Glasto and a speedy recovery!

Edited by Gabi_says
  • Upvote 1

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 2:05 PM, Emily147 said:

I have a coach ticket running from Leicester, however I have broken my foot, i'm on crutches and have a surgical boot fitted. Because you don't get your ticket until you get on the coach I am stuck with having to travel by coach which is an issue as I will not be able to carry my luggage, so will need to bring a trailer or something to help me, as well as a chair. Being on a coach you are limited to the amount of luggage you can carry, so I really need to travel by car instead with my friend who also has a coach ticket. I have contacted the access people but they stopped replying to me basically saying there's nothing they can do to help and that I have to travel by coach. 

Has anyone got any advice, it will be greatly appreciated?!

When are you due to arrive on site?