Jump to content
OG

T minus & counting 2019

Recommended Posts

I've got an old car one for you;

hupp

 

Not exactly sure why it states 624  to 622, but it was taken in Australia - and we all know that water goes down the plug hole the opposite way in the Southern Hemisphere. It must be that way with building road numbers too! 

Anyway, there's a nice bit of history attached to this photo, if you are interested;

J.L. Burton behind the wheel along with Tom Smith are seen posing outside of Dennys Lascelles Garage, located on Elizabeth Street in Melbourne, Australia with their record breaking 1918 Hupmobile. The route Burton and Smith followed was from Fremantle to Sydney via Broken Hill. The pair was only one of many to at the time to attempt to better a record set in 1915 with a Studebaker.

hupp2The duo left Fremantle on January 29, 1918, and arrived in Sydney on February 5, 1918. They travelled 2,677 miles in seven-days, 2 hours and 17 minutes, with an average speed of 15.7 miles per hour. You can read about part of their trip here and see other photos in an article that was in the Bunbury Herald on March 9, 1918.

After the journey, Burton wrote the book: Across Australia in Seven Days. The trip appears to have been sponsored in part by Barnett-Glass Boomerang Tires and the Hupmobile Importer (see the Press ad above left). The photo from the Harold Paynting Collection is courtesy of the State Library of Victoria.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I always lived in fear of being found out though, so am glad that's all over. My first ever manager once told me that bullshit baffles brains, and there's a fair element of truth in that. Hope that you are well. :)

All good here thanks :) I know several people in the large organisation I work for that started at the bottom and have found themselves to have reached quite dizzying heights. They've to a man said more or less the same as your good self. So you're  far from being alone.

I do like an old banger :wink:

 

51905.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, whisty said:

All good here thanks :) I know several people in the large organisation I work for that started at the bottom and have found themselves to have reached quite dizzying heights. They've to a man said more or less the same as your good self. So you're  far from being alone.

It's good to hear that you are well whisty.

In the organization I worked for there was so much office politics and vying for position at the top that it was, to me, nauseating. Personally, I never went for any internal promotion in the 28 years that I was there. I was asked by higher management to go for higher up the ladder jobs, but always refused. The fact was that I didn't even want to do the job I did, never mind go up the ladder and try to justify my own position by offering further up management the statistics that they craved. 

When I look back on it, I think I squandered a fair bit of those 28 years. I should have left earlier than I did. It's not a major problem though, because, I guess it brought me to where I am now, which is, on the whole,  Happysville. :)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, whisty said:

All good here thanks :) I know several people in the large organisation I work for that started at the bottom and have found themselves to have reached quite dizzying heights. They've to a man said more or less the same as your good self. So you're  far from being alone.

I do like an old banger :wink:

 

51905.jpg

 

 

This is getting every old car.y

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know it's corny. You know it's corny. Let's not talk about it, and move on with our lives, and pretend that it didn't happen;

Image result for sicks

 

Image result for tutu

While the balance of the mind is disturbed, I may as well post this too;

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry I missed 622 but I've got to put it up 

gf026.jpg

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

Sorry I missed 622 but I've got to put it up 

gf026.jpg

No problem there guy. If I had similar access to that information, then I would assume it was actually the law to post it, and then do so myself. Nice spot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Beautiful follow up on the 621.

Top shelf stuff.

Why thank you sir 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, guypjfreak said:

Sorry I missed 622 but I've got to put it up 

gf026.jpg


super shot - it reminds me of 1979 - a quick run down how we ended up going

We were at the Half Moon in Putney - my friends had a folk band and at half time they were approached by a Band booker who wanted to book them for Glastonbury Fayre - now at this point I have to confess none of us had ever heard of Glastonbury Fayre and had no clue where it was - rough notes were scribbled on a a beer mat - at a later stage we looked but there was no Pilton on the map but we did find Shepton Mallet - we had been told if we reached there and asked a local they would point us in the right direction - Most pilled into a Campervan and I was dragged along because I owned a Mini so I had a few passengers - anyway at some point we came across a Signpost { I am not claiming its the same signpost } but we made it to Pilton and with a locals help we found the road down to the farm - this is before there was a stewards out in the main road who would point you in the right direction and there was no giant signs up pointing the way - its remarkable that we ever found it { no Satnav in those days }  


cant find any shots of that year on my PC but these two are from the early 80's and it was the same Mini and we were on our way to Glasto { except that year we had to buy our own tickets }   

38917_o.thumb.jpg.347a8e82763d9810393e2d942875c92e.jpg0719_o.thumb.jpg.f96d4aa1066022a07378edcea94beca3.jpg

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, glasto-worker said:


super shot - it reminds me of 1979 - a quick run down how we ended up going

We were at the Half Moon in Putney - my friends had a folk band and at half time they were approached by a Band booker who wanted to book them for Glastonbury Fayre - now at this point I have to confess none of us had ever heard of Glastonbury Fayre and had no clue where it was - rough notes were scribbled on a a beer mat - at a later stage we looked but there was no Pilton on the map but we did find Shepton Mallet - we had been told if we reached there and asked a local they would point us in the right direction - Most pilled into a Campervan and I was dragged along because I owned a Mini so I had a few passengers - anyway at some point we came across a Signpost { I am not claiming its the same signpost } but we made it to Pilton and with a locals help we found the road down to the farm - this is before there was a stewards out in the main road who would point you in the right direction and there was no giant signs up pointing the way - its remarkable that we ever found it { no Satnav in those days }  


cant find any shots of that year on my PC but these two are from the early 80's and it was the same Mini and we were on our way to Glasto { except that year we had to buy our own tickets }   

38917_o.thumb.jpg.347a8e82763d9810393e2d942875c92e.jpg0719_o.thumb.jpg.f96d4aa1066022a07378edcea94beca3.jpg

Aah, the good old days. Just look at the metal poled ridge tents. I had a one which lasted about 7 or 8 of my first Glastonbury's. I really got attached to that tent  as it had been on those Glastonbury campaigns with me. I actually felt guilty replacing it!

Anyway, here something that might interest you with regard to your mini registration number WJD 146M. If you click on the following link, you'll see another mini not far off your registration, that was used in a Doctor Who episode;

http://www.jannaludlow.co.uk/Classic_Minis/Dr_Who.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are NOT doing bloody cars or trucks let's get off them.... Please 

 

21173_UvEO44uA.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, guypjfreak said:

We are NOT doing bloody cars or trucks let's get off them.... Please 

 

21173_UvEO44uA.jpg

Is that a nice two'er you got there guy? I can't quite make out if that's a 620 in numbers on his shirt. If it is then bravo. I'd forgotten all about that angle ie getting as many of the same numbers on a post as possible. 

THIS IS WHAT I WROTE FIRST

Anyway, I am (hopefully) going to pull my finger out and start working on Monday. If I manage to do this it'll mean that I'm going to be on here less. So, I just wanted to say that if I'm not, then I wish those of you valiantly still holding the baton all the very best. :)

THEN THIS THOUGHT CAME TO MY MIND, SO I FEEL THE NEED TO INFORM YOU BY ALSO WRITING, THIS

I need to inform you that it has just dawned on me that I've got no chance of staying away from posting on here. The T minus & counting thread is more addictive than crack, man. Actually, I wouldn't know that that was true, or not, because I've never taken crack. And long may that last.

NOW I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO THINK. 

CONCLUSION 

That was a nice smoke I had a little while ago.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fucking hell. There's me saying I don't think I can be on here as much as I'd like to be in the future, and you've all already fucked off yourselves! Only joking - I know there's a 'real life' out there. Hope that yours is all hunky dory. Anyway, here's today's offering, which I think represents sound advice;

Image result for 618

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...