Are Tories welcome at Glastonbury

Apone

20 minutes ago, babyblade41 said:

That does surprise me and something I never even thought of ... 

It makes perfect sense for me. Being able to worry about things like the environment is a bit of a luxury when you can't afford to put food on the table. I've met working class people who care about the environment, of course, but it makes sense that it would come as a secondary concern to people struggling.

Just now, Zoo Music Girl said:

It makes perfect sense for me. Being able to worry about things like the environment is a bit of a luxury when you can't afford to put food on the table. I've met working class people who care about the environment, of course, but it makes sense that it would come as a secondary concern to people struggling.

I work with a lot of animal rescue people and they would disagree with that , their children are also bought up the same way.  They would go without to take on an abused animal and do. They dedicate their lives to the environment and all animals that live in it and grow most of their own food  .. They certainly don't think that way 

Ha you put it more succintly!

Ha :P

it's not a coincidence the environment is a secondary concern to all the mainstream parties. Whether rightly or wrongly it's just not a vote-winner. Even the Greens barely mention it these days, now their middle-class base is being increasingly squeezed economically. 

1 minute ago, babyblade41 said:

I work with a lot of animal rescue people and they would disagree with that , their children are also bought up the same way.  They would go without to take on an abused animal and do. They dedicate their lives to the environment and all animals that live in it and grow most of their own food  .. They certainly don't think that way 

Fair enough, I was talking more about inner city people living on council estates.

Fair enough, I was talking more about inner city people living on council estates.

Yes I agree that might seem the norm but one person in particular who does most of the West Midlands rescues lives in a rented terrace in Wolverhampton. They have just sourced an allotment and are over the moon  , maybe more about self sufficiency in primary school could equip some with valuable skills. 

1 minute ago, babyblade41 said:

Yes I agree that might seem the norm but one person in particular who does most of the West Midlands rescues lives in a rented terrace in Wolverhampton. They have just sourced an allotment and are over the moon  , maybe more about self sufficiency in primary school could equip some with valuable skills. 

Teaching self sufficiency would be ace and to learn how to grow food would be great. God knows people are going to need it... no idea how much an allotment costs mind.

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

Teaching self sufficiency would be ace to learn how to grow food would be great. God knows people are going to need it... no idea how much an allotment costs mind.

I think she pays about 100.00 per year, a lot of allotments are owned either by councils or churches so greatly subsidised 

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Teaching self sufficiency would be ace to learn how to grow food would be great. God knows people are going to need it... no idea how much an allotment costs mind.

Sadly we are surrounded by H & S so very limited as to how much we expose children to rural and outdoor skills 

Well yes that and it's pretty difficult to learn rural skills for kids living in cities with no money for field trips.

I have been involved albeit a long time ago in a scheme with my youngest school to adopt scrub land that no one seems to want and help turn into a little growing area , so something is doable 

4 minutes ago, babyblade41 said:

Can I also add re-introducing cooking skills back into school, as many people (not specifically pointing at the young people or anyone here ) don't know how to put a cheap meal together from scratch .  

Cooking was certainly taught in my school, though I don't know whether we weren't a rarity in that. Lessons in life skills like responsibly managing a budget would be very useful but would need to be taught in a way where people didn't treat it as an unimportant doss subject, and I don't know how you'd ensure that. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Zac Quinn said:

Cooking was certainly taught in my school, though I don't know whether we weren't a rarity in that. Lessons in life skills like responsibly managing a budget would be very useful but would need to be taught in a way where people didn't treat it as an unimportant doss subject, and I don't know how you'd ensure that. 

I'd love to see that as going to uni isn't an option for some... not down to fees, but just down to wasting their time 

8 minutes ago, babyblade41 said:

Can I also add re-introducing cooking skills back into school, as many people (not specifically pointing at the young people or anyone here ) don't know how to put a cheap meal together from scratch .  

A lot of stuff like this (as well as languages, drama etc.) got/is getting scrapped because of cuts to education funding over the last 7 years... by the Tories. 

4 minutes ago, MattDavies__ said:

A lot of stuff like this (as well as languages, drama etc.) got/is getting scrapped because of cuts to education funding over the last 7 years... by the Tories. 

I thought HE was scrapped just after I left school 37 years ago 

4 minutes ago, MattDavies__ said:

That is down to the belief that the only value worth paying attention to is fiscal.

3 minutes ago, babyblade41 said:

I'd love to see that as going to uni isn't an option for some... not down to fees, but just down to wasting their time 

I'd say probably the majority of my secondary school year group left that place scared to death of how under-prepared they were for a future. There was almost a riot in my Year 11 maths class when someone (rightly) questioned why we were spending gazillions of lessons on stuff that most people never use in their lives, like Trigonomtery and that, while we hadn't had a single lesson in all six years at the school on important stuff like basic economics. It just feels so ridiculous.

2 minutes ago, babyblade41 said:

I thought HE was scrapped just after I left school 37 years ago 

Perhaps it was made non-compulsory or something, dunno. I did three years of it in Years 7,8,9. I know schools that are stopping now because they can't afford the teachers/not enough are taking it up at GCSE etc. 

2 minutes ago, Spindles said:

That is down to the belief that the only value worth paying attention to is fiscal.

Uh huh. Basically the same as what's happening with Uni's. 

18 minutes ago, babyblade41 said:

Sadly we are surrounded by H & S so very limited as to how much we expose children to rural and outdoor skills 

That's nonsense, H&S doesn't stop these things at all! Just excuses and an easy target to blame

1 hour ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Teaching self sufficiency would be ace and to learn how to grow food would be great. God knows people are going to need it... no idea how much an allotment costs mind.

£18 per year here :)

3 minutes ago, Ommadawn said:

£18 per year here :)

I was way off then.. 18.00 a year for an allotment is brilliant.. no excuse for anyone not taking up one. 

The thing I hate especially in Primary schools is the live chicken project ... it is one thing I would be happy to have banned