Size of your.....tent

fiddler

Usually take 8man tent for 2 of us,this year going solo but still taking 8 man for me. Bit greedy perhaps but this year a 1 off as solo so seems daft buying new tent just for me which will more then likely end up in landfill as I'd have no other use for after plus the 8man has been used for years so therefore tried and trustedplus nice having separate bedroom a plus living/cooking/chilling/muddy boots area. Just as a bit of advice,I have found that whatever man the tent is sold as it best to take away 2 to give an idea of how many it can COMFORTABLY fit,plus bear in mind your kit will be roughly equivalent of 1person each so def go for minimum of 4-5

3 hours ago, glastolover19 said:

Usually take 8man tent for 2 of us,this year going solo but still taking 8 man for me. Bit greedy perhaps but this year a 1 off as solo so seems daft buying new tent just for me which will more then likely end up in landfill as I'd have no other use for after plus the 8man has been used for years so therefore tried and trustedplus nice having separate bedroom a plus living/cooking/chilling/muddy boots area. Just as a bit of advice,I have found that whatever man the tent is sold as it best to take away 2 to give an idea of how many it can COMFORTABLY fit,plus bear in mind your kit will be roughly equivalent of 1person each so def go for minimum of 4-5

Sounds difficult transporting an 8 man tent on your own, I've one a similar size and can just about carry it from my shed to the car, it's so heavy. 
Charm x

On 4/8/2017 at 3:58 PM, Charm said:

Sounds difficult transporting an 8 man tent on your own, I've one a similar size and can just about carry it from my shed to the car, it's so heavy. 
Charm x

Usually it's split between 2 taking turns carrying but this year it will be on the newly purchased sack truck :) I'm pretty sure it's 9-10kg so fairly heavy but not too bad. I ummed and arhhed over getting a new smaller one but it would be a 1 off use thing so bit of a waste,also I trust my 8manner used it for 10+years now for fest and camping trips so know won't leak. Plus found most 4mans with porch were only 1-2kg lighter so no huge difference and tbh I'd never not have a tunnel style tent,the bit in the middle to chill or cook if raining is great plus you can dump the muddy stuff there and not get shit all over your sleeping bag. I have found myself drawn to the dome shaped tents with the pods attached,a friend had one last year and was massive and could stand up in all of it or the train tent but that might be taking the piss for 1/2 people

On 4/7/2017 at 8:23 PM, fiddler said:

Just wondering....how big is your tent for how many people? There is 2 of us going, will we be frowned upon taking a large 4/5 person tent for the two of us??

I'm not too sure that I can be used as a universal yardstick to go by, but it would be my opinion that nobody is going to give a bollocks that two people are using a 4/5 person tent at Glastonbury. I think you'll find that they will have a plethora of other things on site to entertain their minds.

8 hours ago, glastolover19 said:

Usually it's split between 2 taking turns carrying but this year it will be on the newly purchased sack truck :) I'm pretty sure it's 9-10kg so fairly heavy but not too bad. I ummed and arhhed over getting a new smaller one but it would be a 1 off use thing so bit of a waste,also I trust my 8manner used it for 10+years now for fest and camping trips so know won't leak. Plus found most 4mans with porch were only 1-2kg lighter so no huge difference and tbh I'd never not have a tunnel style tent,the bit in the middle to chill or cook if raining is great plus you can dump the muddy stuff there and not get shit all over your sleeping bag. I have found myself drawn to the dome shaped tents with the pods attached,a friend had one last year and was massive and could stand up in all of it or the train tent but that might be taking the piss for 1/2 people

That weight isn't too bad, mine is nearly 30kg, I'm not so worried for you now. 
Charm x

I attended a Micheal Eavis Q&A session in 2010 and he mentioned this topic as 120,000 people in big tents takes up more space than 120,000 in small tents.  This means he has to rent more field space.  

As other say, you personally wont be frowned upon because it is rife, but it was generally better in the olden days says ME when everyone owned a... smaller tents, b... better quality tents that lasted years and c.... took the bloody things home with them.

11 hours ago, Charm said:

That weight isn't too bad, mine is nearly 30kg, I'm not so worried for you now. 
Charm x

30kg!! That's mad. If it's a tunnel tent ie it has 2bedrooms joined by bit in middle then my advice is strip away bits you don't need,like the ground sheet in the middle part(a poundland tarp is fine and weighs nothing compared to the thick bulky ground sheet that's usually supplied) also ditch the poles that hold door flaps up into a canopy(personally I have never used them but even then with a 30kg tent its still probably weighing about 25kg,If I was you I'd be considering sack truck. Whatever you do good luck and don't knacker yourself out before it starts

I have a 3 man tent for the two of us, weights 5kg and has a porch you can stand up in so have played tent lottery pretty well. Weight is the key factor for me, last year walked the old family tent in with its steel poles, whilst a great trip down memory lane they aren't great to fit on your back (must of been at least 15kg) and i was fit for writing my will and packing it all in before I started last year. I've decided to go back to basics and be clever with weight, it's not worth bringing everything and the kitchen sink, modern camping technology is where it's at B)

4 hours ago, ian the worm said:

I attended a Micheal Eavis Q&A session in 2010 and he mentioned this topic as 120,000 people in big tents takes up more space than 120,000 in small tents.  This means he has to rent more field space.  

As other say, you personally wont be frowned upon because it is rife, but it was generally better in the olden days says ME when everyone owned a... smaller tents, b... better quality tents that lasted years and c.... took the bloody things home with them.

Yep. Completely agree. I'm a bit of a hypocrite. I've been taking the same three man tent, for me, on my own, for about the last decade now. But we all know that "three person" really translates as "just enough room for one person, their inflatable mattress and their rucksack and I still can't fucking stand up!".

But I've been moaning for years about mega selfish campers. My favourites over the years have to be the couple in Row Mead one year with a wigwam the size of a a proper tipi field tipi. Between two of them. Which they left behind. Also the bunch in/near Dairy/Pennards one year who had a dome shaped gazebo that was about the size of the Theatre Field's Astrolabe, complete with a "no strangers allowed" sign taped across it. Tossers.

Even though the overall capacity hasn't changed that much, surely the increase in the size of Worthy View and other glamping options should have meant that there would be more space for us regular people. But no. People just bring bigger tents. I long for the days when every camp had room for a campfire.

26 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

Yep. Completely agree. I'm a bit of a hypocrite. I've been taking the same three man tent, for me, on my own, for about the last decade now. But we all know that "three person" really translates as "just enough room for one person, their inflatable mattress and their rucksack and I still can't fucking stand up!".

But I've been moaning for years about mega selfish campers. My favourites over the years have to be the couple in Row Mead one year with a wigwam the size of a a proper tipi field tipi. Between two of them. Which they left behind. Also the bunch in/near Dairy/Pennards one year who had a dome shaped gazebo that was about the size of the Theatre Field's Astrolabe, complete with a "no strangers allowed" sign taped across it. Tossers.

Even though the overall capacity hasn't changed that much, surely the increase in the size of Worthy View and other glamping options should have meant that there would be more space for us regular people. But no. People just bring bigger tents. I long for the days when every camp had room for a campfire.

Think we should do something about the decline in campfires,I remember when everyone had one and you could just rock up to and hang out

32 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

My favourites over the years have to be the couple in Row Mead one year with a wigwam the size of a a proper tipi field tipi. Between two of them. Which they left behind.

Oh fuck me, that's a mental thing to do. Those things are lovely. How could one possibly leave behind a beauty like that?

16 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Oh fuck me, that's a mental thing to do. Those things are lovely. How could one possibly leave behind a beauty like that?

It was emblazoned with slogans and logos and phone numbers. Almost as if it had gone there to deliberately advertise. I hope it backfired and they got totally flamed online. I cetainly sent them a message. Oh damn. That's the attention they wanted, isn't it.

Edited by MrZigster

17 minutes ago, glastolover19 said:

Think we should do something about the decline in campfires,I remember when everyone had one and you could just rock up to and hang out

Well. As a fellow Boy from The Dwarf, I hope you will take it as just banter if I suggest that we have a said campfire inside the eight man tent that you intend to bring for just yourself.

The Cat was always thinking of itself :)

(Just joking. Really. I've read your earlier posts. It makes no sense to buy a new tent if you don't need to and would be more inclined to leave it there).

3 hours ago, sweetsounding said:

I have a 3 man tent for the two of us, weights 5kg and has a porch you can stand up in so have played tent lottery pretty well. Weight is the key factor for me, last year walked the old family tent in with its steel poles, whilst a great trip down memory lane they aren't great to fit on your back (must of been at least 15kg) and i was fit for writing my will and packing it all in before I started last year. I've decided to go back to basics and be clever with weight, it's not worth bringing everything and the kitchen sink, modern camping technology is where it's at B)

Interested in which tent is the 3 man 5lb standing room? I'm in the market for just that if you could point me in the right direction. 

8 hours ago, MrZigster said:

Well. As a fellow Boy from The Dwarf, I hope you will take it as just banter if I suggest that we have a said campfire inside the eight man tent that you intend to bring for just yourself.

The Cat was always thinking of itself :)

(Just joking. Really. I've read your earlier posts. It makes no sense to buy a new tent if you don't need to and would be more inclined to leave it there).

Only if I can invite Queeg and we burn Rimmer'a chamfer wood trunk :)

6 hours ago, MetaKate said:

Interested in which tent is the 3 man 5lb standing room? I'm in the market for just that if you could point me in the right direction. 

It's the Vango Galaxy 300, 5.6kg, "cosy" sleeping for two ( big enough to put 2 sleep mats) and tall enough in the porch for 6'+ to stand comfortably. Nifty little tent. I paid £220 from blacks with a discount code. Basically owing to the old adage of the camping triage where you can have two of the three options 

Price , Comfort, Weight

But you cant have all 3 ^_^

Vango galaxy clicky

13 hours ago, glastolover19 said:

30kg!! That's mad. If it's a tunnel tent ie it has 2bedrooms joined by bit in middle then my advice is strip away bits you don't need,like the ground sheet in the middle part(a poundland tarp is fine and weighs nothing compared to the thick bulky ground sheet that's usually supplied) also ditch the poles that hold door flaps up into a canopy(personally I have never used them but even then with a 30kg tent its still probably weighing about 25kg,If I was you I'd be considering sack truck. Whatever you do good luck and don't knacker yourself out before it starts

Oh no I didn't mean I was bringing that monster to Glastonbury, I'd probably die, the tent I usually take is around 10kg. 
Charm x

8 minutes ago, Charm said:

Oh no I didn't mean I was bringing that monster to Glastonbury, I'd probably die, the tent I usually take is around 10kg. 
Charm x

I hope you manage to make it ok,10kg is still a fair lump. My tactic is just take it slow,I'm in no rush for a "prime" spot and I probably stop for a sit about million times between the car park and gates. Love seeing the guys stomp pass sweaty and red faced because they must camp pennards etc. I ain't rushing and killing myself,always loads of room in darbles plus I'm quite lazy :)

1 hour ago, sweetsounding said:

It's the Vango Galaxy 300, 5.6kg, "cosy" sleeping for two ( big enough to put 2 sleep mats) and tall enough in the porch for 6'+ to stand comfortably. Nifty little tent. I paid £220 from blacks with a discount code. Basically owing to the old adage of the camping triage where you can have two of the three options 

Price , Comfort, Weight

But you cant have all 3 ^_^

Vango galaxy clicky

So true . Exactly what I'm looking good for but about 3x what I was hoping to pay. I'll keep searching but thanks!