Green Man Festival 2017

dentalplan

The line up is VERY exciting for me & my wife.

SO......advise please?!? We have been to 3 Green Man's before (the last one being 2014. Where Neutral Milk Hotel supported the mighty Nick Helm, who closed the festival. Best memory ever of Green Man. 2AM on the Monday morning, bellowing out 'NO SURVIVORS' at the top of our lungs. Brilliant! But i digress....).. And we are festie veterans (me since 1995, my wife since 2002). And the line up is VERY exciting this year. HOWEVER.....we now have a child. She will be just over a year old when Green Man comes along. So, whilst we wanna go, we are apprehensive. ITs not really even about going to festivals with a 1 year old per se. We are going to Latitude this year (as long as the line up isnt COMPLETELY terrible!), which will be her first.

The issue is really the weather at Green Man. Every year we have been, it has been a slog. The mud is crap at the best of times, let alone with a buggy! 

SO......those of you who have gone with a wee bairn.....how is it at GM? Is it a nightmare? OR is it easier than i think it will be? We have a bugaboo buggy, and have bought 'off road' wheels for festivals. But, as i say, this is mostly for Latitude and maybe other festivals where the weather isnt so inclement. AND where, if we get unlucky with inclement weather at the 'tude, the site can, on the whole, cope well.

Any advice etc would be appreciated. Thank you lovely Efestival peeps.

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was probably being overly negative then, I'd just woken up (was 7am here). Overall PJ and Ryan are pretty great headliners for GM. I think PJ's live show really suits a night slot compared to the afternoon slots she gets at bigger festivals. The subs are pretty good too.

And Richard Dawson is one of my favourite musicians ever, he's great live too.

Uhhhh terrible news. Firstly the headliners do absolutely nothing for me; Peej and Ryan Adams are my idea of hell and I want to run away from them as fast as I can, and Future Islands... really? But all this together doesn't put me off, there's not a lot on the line-up that I'm into, but really I reckon just a few agreeable bands will see me through Green Man and I'd be happy to be there. I love a good Far Out or The Walled Garden headliner, and Chai Wallas is rarely not brilliant, I also want to watch something in the new sw*nky film tent. Green Man's amazing, a slightly pants line-up doesn't put me off (even if the headliners are fucking PJ Harvey, Ryan Adams and Future Islands). Enter my mate who is getting married this summer; he's trying to set the date for that weekend (not set in stone yet) and I'm the best fucking man.

22 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Uhhhh terrible news. Firstly the headliners do absolutely nothing for me; Peej and Ryan Adams are my idea of hell and I want to run away from them as fast as I can, and Future Islands... really? But all this together doesn't put me off, there's not a lot on the line-up that I'm into, but really I reckon just a few agreeable bands will see me through Green Man and I'd be happy to be there. I love a good Far Out or The Walled Garden headliner, and Chai Wallas is rarely not brilliant, I also want to watch something in the new sw*nky film tent. Green Man's amazing, a slightly pants line-up doesn't put me off (even if the headliners are fucking PJ Harvey, Ryan Adams and Future Islands). Enter my mate who is getting married this summer; he's trying to set the date for that weekend (not set in stone yet) and I'm the best fucking man.

Peej is great, ya deadbeat. Tell your mate what you think about Polly and he'll make you the worst man and uninvite you.

I find it weird that they announced Future Islands now as they don't usually do 3 at one anyway. Unless they think they are good headliners, or had 0% chance of getting anyone else between now and August. They would have been fine subs. Anyway, I guess it doesn't really matter, one of the other stages should be decent on Friday.

Edited by Chawk

On 1/27/2017 at 6:28 PM, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Got to agree on Ryan Adams but PJ? The rest is OK. There will be more to come.  Your sentiment is spot on, Green Man is as much about acts you haven't seen - discovered some great stuff last year.

Will be taking my trunks this year for the hot tubs in the rain.

6 hours ago, scrippit said:

Got to agree on Ryan Adams but PJ? The rest is OK. There will be more to come.  Your sentiment is spot on, Green Man is as much about acts you haven't seen - discovered some great stuff last year.

Will be taking my trunks this year for the hot tubs in the rain.

There's something very heartwarming about the fact that the hot tubs are never short of customers, even when it's cold and raining and windy.

6 hours ago, scrippit said:

Eye-wateringly expensive though...

Ah, never actually looked at prices. That puts a stop to any chance of me getting in one then.

5 hours ago, giantkatestacks said:

Yes, a massive ripoff compared to Shambala as is all of the massagey field stuff - the only criticism I have at all of Green Man. Well that and the car park organisation from last year grr.

What issues did you have with the car park? I drove straight in and out last year easier than going to the supermarket, I did arrive late Thursday and leave right after Belle & Sebastian on Sunday mind.

I bought earlybirds the day they came out plus a blue badge for the family car park as theres a few of us and kids and whatever. On the Thursday we got there later than normal cos we had to stop at Cardiff Hosp first to see my dad who was very poorly and so blue car park was full with many more settlers than they expected so we ended up in the normal one, miles away from family camping with a massive trek blah. It was annoying. Sounds petty I know but stressful.

• 4 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, SOAD said:

Any guesses who we might get? I've never been before but Im assuming we have 2 more of the top 9 bands left and thursday headliner as far as the top bands go. Would that be about right?

Me no know. Looks about right though.

I can imagine Beach House headlining the Thursday given they're about.

21 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Me no know. Looks about right though.

I can imagine Beach House headlining the Thursday given they're about.

Yeah that'd fit well. Shame as not a fan but you cant win them all. Considering i didnt know two thirds of the announcement this lineup is perfect. The more bands I listen to the happier I get. So many standouts with the latest being Deep Throat Choir.