Green Man Festival 2017

dentalplan

GREEN MAN!

tv-its_always_sunny_in_philadelphia-2005

Let's get this show on the road. Who do you wanna see?

Metronomy was a good shout put forward by Lawny Lawn in another thread. Would maybe like to see MGMT and Interpol headline but I don't really know if they'd fit. Jesus and Mary Chain and Spiritualized (maybe not headlining) have new albums and I'm sure they'd work.

I sought out this thread because Car Seat Headrest and Angel Olsen were both announced for Øya in Norway the weekend before and both put out incredible albums this year and would be most welcome at all festivals.

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I guess the primary headliners are the guys they didn't get last year, i.e PJ Harvey & LCD.

Fleet Foxes are out.

Neil Young has cancelled shows, so that pipe dream of mine still isn't going to happen.

Get Aphex Twin on during the little folk parade

Other than headliners, as always- DEERHUNTER, who still haven't played

Would like to see a European pianist as well, so hopefully Nils Frahm or Lubomyr Melnyk  .

and BSP.

21 hours ago, Chawk said:

I guess the primary headliners are the guys they didn't get last year, i.e PJ Harvey & LCD.

Fleet Foxes are out.

Neil Young has cancelled shows, so that pipe dream of mine still isn't going to happen.

Get Aphex Twin on during the little folk parade

Other than headliners, as always- DEERHUNTER, who still haven't played

Would like to see a European pianist as well, so hopefully Nils Frahm or Lubomyr Melnyk  .

and BSP.

I would be absolutely over the moon with LCD, please can that happen. Nils would go down a treat at GM. Can see him getting an afternoon slot in Far Out.

The little folk parade needs no enhancement, the tune they play over the PA is an absolute banger, and it's highly amusing to see the middle class parents parading around their semi-bewildered chids who have pretty much fuck all idea what this trippy shit is. Love it.

21 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I would be absolutely over the moon with LCD, please can that happen. Nils would go down a treat at GM. Can see him getting an afternoon slot in Far Out.

The little folk parade needs no enhancement, the tune they play over the PA is an absolute banger, and it's highly amusing to see the middle class parents parading around their semi-bewildered chids who have pretty much fuck all idea what this trippy shit is. Love it.

I tweeted GM about LCD and they haven't replied, so TBC basically.

I'm finding it hard to come up with headliners this year, although I'm always wrong anyway. Reckon it'll have to be a couple small ones though, I have to remember they had Kings of Convenience headline not too long ago, who'd I'd never heard of up until then. Oh well, it'll be great whatever.

Actually never seem the parade :lol:. Although I was stewarding last year and had a couple concerned Mums come up to me as the main stage screens had incorrectly said it was Friday afternoon, had to radio it in to get confirmation.

2 hours ago, Chawk said:

I tweeted GM about LCD and they haven't replied, so TBC basically.

Don't toy with my feelings this way!

I'd really love it if they were, but I'm going either way, so I'm taking a stance of presuming they wont be there, and if they show up it's a massive bonus. I spent last year presuming they weren't getting back together and that worked out pretty well for me in the end.

Are Goat too small to headline? I'd love them to come back (clashed with Owen Pallett <3<3<3 last year so obv missed them) but Far Out headliner after only a year away doesn't seem likely.

LCD are certainly too big, surely? This year's headliners James Blake, Belle & Sebastian and Wild Beasts are nowhere near as big? 

Who knows though, maybe Al Doyle loved it with Hot Chip in 2015 and has convinced them to go. I've got a mate who goes every year and it sounds like a good festival, if not to my taste on the whole (especially as I don't see how the stature of the acts booked justify the price for a ticket). 

Of the suggestions made here, Interpol, MGMT and Metronomy would make for a great trio of headliners.

16 minutes ago, Odessa said:

LCD are certainly too big, surely? This year's headliners James Blake, Belle & Sebastian and Wild Beasts are nowhere near as big? 

I think it just depends if the dates fit, GM do try to book acts their size, so if they're free a day in Europe that weekend then I don't exactly think they'd turn down headlining a festival because GM pay £15,000 less or whatever.

Like 2010 had pretty good headliners considering the festival was smaller back then.

Note Mumford and Sons playing 4th down on Sunday haha

b9355d401243c22ef7ca0303c52ff297.jpg

Edited by Chawk

4 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Not been before. Had intentions of going to GM or EOTR for years but it's never worked out. Fingers crossed for this time. 

LCD would certainly swing it, tho I fear they are a bit too big.

Nice, I'd definitely recommend going if the line up fits.

4 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Are Goat too small to headline? I'd love them to come back (clashed with Owen Pallett <3<3<3 last year so obv missed them) but Far Out headliner after only a year away doesn't seem likely.

They probably are a bit too small still. I just saw about Grizzly Bear in the new music thread though- they're pretty likely if they're touring I'd say

20 hours ago, Odessa said:

Who knows though, maybe Al Doyle loved it with Hot Chip in 2015 and has convinced them to go. I've got a mate who goes every year and it sounds like a good festival, if not to my taste on the whole (especially as I don't see how the stature of the acts booked justify the price for a ticket). 

Of the suggestions made here, Interpol, MGMT and Metronomy would make for a great trio of headliners.

I think in real terms, in the UK, LCD Soundsystem have the same sort of pull as B&S. The reunion hype and their much bigger global success put them in the top tier last go around, but I can't see that lasting.

9 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I think in real terms, in the UK, LCD Soundsystem have the same sort of pull as B&S. The reunion hype and their much bigger global success put them in the top tier last go around, but I can't see that lasting.

I don't even know much about B&S tbh so probably shouldn't have made a comparison. Looking at last time they played Manchester they did two nights at the Albert Hall. I've been thinking LCD for the Apollo, which would be a similar total amount of attendees, so you're probably right.

I dunno, just seems mad that a Coachella headliner is being tipped for Green Man the following year. But I don't have a clue how they managed to get the Coachella slot, even with the reunion hype that seems a massive massive slot for them.

2 hours ago, Odessa said:

I dunno, just seems mad that a Coachella headliner is being tipped for Green Man the following year. But I don't have a clue how they managed to get the Coachella slot, even with the reunion hype that seems a massive massive slot for them.

it was a big slot for them yeah, but not so much that it seemed ridiculous on the night (which it did for Phoenix). the kind of bump ups/risk more major festivals should be taking really

they seem pretty big for Green Man imo, but i could maybe see it happening

• 2 weeks later...

First announcement coming late January so not long to wait. Still not sure about the lineup. I finally bought Deerhunter Mircrocastle/Weird Era con yesterday, and so hope more than ever they will finally play. I've still never seen them as I've always been too busy when they've played near me.

• 2 weeks later...

Gonna scan down the list of August fests on Ringrocker and do a little round-up of touring acts that would be suitable for Green actual Man or EOTR (some are definitely more EOTR but I wanted to cover both) - here goes:

2 weekends before:

• OFF Festival: Swans, Beak>, Shellac, Daniel Johnston, Silver Apples, Kikagaku Moyo

1 weekend before:

• Haven Festival: The National*, Beach House, Francis & the Lights, Perfume Genius, This is the Kit
  • Flow Festival: Angel Olsen, Car Seat Headrest, Aphex Twin (exclusive elsewhere), Jenny Hval
  • Oya Festival: Angel Olsen, Car Seat Headrest, Jenny Hval, Julia Jacklin, Mac Demarco, Badbadnotgood**
  • Sziget: Mac Demarco, DJ Shadow**, Oh Wonder, 

Same weekend:

• Paredes de Coura: Beach House, Benjamin Clementine, Car Seat Headrest, Pond, Badbadnotgood**, Ty Segall
  • Pstereo: Cymbals Eat Guitars, LVL UP, Phantogram
  • MS Dockville: Mount Kimbie, Oh Wonder
  • Tonder Festival: Loudon Wainwright III

*The National really don't look like touring properly atm but they are at that festival (it's theirs) so had to throw 'em in.
**Dunno if BBNG or DJ Shadow would do the festival but Jamie xx did one time I suppose.

Obviously there'll be a lot of British acts there who don't need to be playing Portugal or Hungary to show up. As you can see, there are some like Angel Olsen, Car Seat Headrest, Jenny Hval, Julia Jacklin and Mac Demarco that are certs to be at one of the two - which is great because they're all good to fantastic. Daniel Johnston would be an interesting get - I know he's got a cult following and he's obviously been a great songwriter but I dunno what the experience would be like. Swans would be good closing out the second stage at one of the fests.

Nice list

3 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Swans would be good closing out the second stage at one of the fests.

They did this at GM 2012, and they might not come back, I only watched the start of their set but they were pretty pissed as they'd been told to cut it short- UMO had had sounds issues. There weren't that many people there either.

Lowlands is also the same weekend - Mac D is there, and also the unlikely possibility of Iggy.

Also I see Jon Hopkins has a new album next year, hopefully he'll be back.