Improved diversity of attendees

budvar

40 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I just thought the crowd was really quite young and really old.

Im 32. I felt that most time I was either in a crowd with people 10/12 years younger or 10-15 years older than me. Very rarely did I think I was around people my own age / generation.

Very much this! Wonder why this is? We are the ones with readonsble free time (pre families) and/or disposable income apparently 

33 minutes ago, kevbizarre said:

Very much this! Wonder why this is? We are the ones with readonsble free time (pre families) and/or disposable income apparently 

Everyone our age is having kids and settling down!

(I have never had this before though - last year I felt like most people were 27-35 ish)

1 hour ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Im 32. I felt that most time I was either in a crowd with people 10/12 years younger or 10-15 years older than me. Very rarely did I think I was around people my own age / generation.

They're at home with the young kids!!

14 hours ago, Jugtanion said:

Glastonbury has it's roots in rock / indie music, predominantly played and listened to by white people. Remember the furore around booking Jay Z, Noel Gallagher saying something along the lines of the festival leaving its roots. It takes a while before an event with that identity turns the corner.  Can anyone comment on the diversity of the Womad crowd? I've never been but all the people I know who go are white, middle class and over 50. Whoever it is that goes, at least they pick all of their shit up at the end of the festival and take it home with them!

I go to WOMAD pretty much every year and I can confirm that attendees are predominantly white and slightly older. There is a large number of youths going, taking advantage of favourable ticket pricing for them. But generally not too many people in the 25-35 category and certainly very few from different ethnic backgrounds.

Considering the music is the eclectic of any festival going, with many black, Asian, African, South America acts it has always failed to attract the wider audience, even when it was in the urban sprawl of Reading. I can't see it changing this year even if with high profile black western acts such as Asian Dub Foundation, Charles Bradley and Roots Manuva

If you haven't been to Womad, go. Its brilliant. Not so much late night music maybe (things stop  around 1-2am) but fantastic through the day. Medium sized event with usually between 2-4 acts on at any one time 

Interesting (or maybe not) how crowd make up changed per act. Squeeze definitely had older crowd, Sigur Ros appeared to be predominatly males in the 30's, Cyndi Lauper higher female make up.

The folky acts definitely also had an older audience with very few under 30's. Show of Hands I recall. Every time I go to a folk act I always seem to be one of the youngest with the exception of the artists themselves; so this year Blair Dunlop and Sam Lee etc

I did not see too many non whites anyway sadly

2 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

That's because you're not quite a young person or an old person at 32. I listened to an interview with Ethan Hawke where he said that he no longer felt like an old young person, but now felt like a young old person and felt really happy with it.

I'm 38 and feel like as I get closer to 40 I'm in the process of transitioning to being a young old person, having kids is part of it. Although I certainly felt like I was acting like an old young person this festival!

I'm clearly rambling and projecting, you probably just didn't see anyone near your own age :)

I'm 34, and that's one of the things I love about Glastonbury, I never ever feel out of place or old, it's just every age going. Now you mention it though I don't notice many people in the 30 bracket, but then when I think about a lot of my friends my age they've pretty much all got kids and are at home watching it on TV! Come to think of it my wife is 29 and all my friends in my group are turning 30 this year, so I was even in my own in my own group.

Back to the original topic, I definitely noticed more black people this year compared to last which is a step forward, I just put it down to the ever growing popularity of the festival? More and more people have it in their radar every year and want to go, I can vouch for this just based on the place I work, last year I was the only person (that I was aware of) that went, this year three of us went, and now a few more are saying they want to go next year.

12 hours ago, eastynh said:

Was full of Scousers, yet hardly any Mancs for some reason.

Maybe the diversity from a race point of view is actually in line with the general population. With me coming from a pretty diverse area, it just seems a little alien to what I am used to.

What did piss me off a little was the xenophobic attitude of some of the local residents in Glastonbury. We might have broad northern accents, but that does not automatically mean we are going to run off from your chippy without paying or rob you at knife point in the street.

We are judged by our accents all the time, I have a strong London accent and have been on the receiving end of some horrible behaviour because of it, pathetic really but the reality of the country we live in, it's a type of prejudice that's never spoken about and totally acceptable. 
Charm x

4 hours ago, Charm said:

We are judged by our accents all the time, I have a strong London accent and have been on the receiving end of some horrible behaviour because of it, pathetic really but the reality of the country we live in, it's a type of prejudice that's never spoken about and totally acceptable. 
Charm x

When people have an inherent fear of individuals for no apparent reason, even though they are from the same country. Is it any real surprise that people voted out of the EU? With immigration being one of the key reasons why.

Never mind, most of the people at Glastonbury were fantastic. One little altercation in a chippy is not going to ruin my memories of a fantastic few days.