3G or 4G Coverage at Glastonbury

johnny-yen

This year will be my first year at the festival with a smart phone. 

In the past I've always relied on a good old fashioned Nokia with buttons (how quaint!) just for emergencies really. I wanted something that had a good battery and didn't really matter if I lost it. 

However, I need to move with the times and for the first time I plan to possibly take my iPhone. 

My question is quite simple, how good is the 3G (or possibly 4G) network there? I'm specifically interested in the coverage of O2. 

I know in previous years, it's been bad enough just to get a text message sent or received so I'm not holding out for anything special. Am I wasting my time and should I leave my iPhone at home?

Thanks

40 minutes ago, johnny-yen said:

This year will be my first year at the festival with a smart phone. 

In the past I've always relied on a good old fashioned Nokia with buttons (how quaint!) just for emergencies really. I wanted something that had a good battery and didn't really matter if I lost it. 

However, I need to move with the times and for the first time I plan to possibly take my iPhone. 

My question is quite simple, how good is the 3G (or possibly 4G) network there? I'm specifically interested in the coverage of O2. 

I know in previous years, it's been bad enough just to get a text message sent or received so I'm not holding out for anything special. Am I wasting my time and should I leave my iPhone at home?

Thanks

I've always taken my iPhone, never had a problem with 3G or 4G. I don't use it whilst there apart from taking photos and as a way of staying safe. It's only my boyfriend and I who go so if one of us is lost/separated we can see where the other one is! 

I'm on O2 and  in daytime the 3g coverage is on par with most city centres I'd imagine.  It can be a little slow but it's reliably there.  Texts and stuff take longer* round about headliner starting and finishing time as you'd expect but, apart from that, no issues.

*by longer I mean maybe 15 mins, not the several hours/days of the past!

Yea EE's coverage is going to be unbeatable this year. They are using 3 times more bandwidth than last year (2x55mhz for you techies) and adding a 6th mast on the site. I'm not even sure other operators are allowed temp. masts on site as EE and Glastonbury have a long-standing partnership.

More info: http://ee.co.uk/our-company/newsroom/2016/ee-predicts-this-years-glastonbury-goers-will-use-15-terabytes-o/ee-predicts-this-year-s-glastonbury-goers-will-use-15-terabytes-

Edited by sully1311

1 hour ago, Duncan Doughnuts said:

In the past - wasn't there an agreement that all networks shared the coverage provided by Orange/EE?

You can't just "share" coverage as per say. For example o2 and EE use completely different frequencies to deliver their main coverage