Guy Garvey

Hutchmaster

I'm just wondering on people's thoughts on Guy as a solo artist live? In two minds whether to see him or not (pending clashes of course!) as while I'm a big fan of Elbow, his solo album didn't really catch me and I'm not expecting him to play many, if any, Elbow songs based on previous setlists. (As is his right being booked as a solo artist!)

I'll probably give the album another couple of spins to see if it's a grower!

Despite being a huge fan of his (hence the display picture) I haven't caught him live on any of his solo dates yet, though my Mum has and says he was very impressive. I believe you're right in terms of Elbow songs he's playing live, pretty sure it's only been Great Expectations so far. 

If I'm being perfectly honest I don't think his solo album was quite up to Elbow's high standards though I would say persevere with it a bit, it did grow on me for sure and it isn't bad by any means. 

I'll almost certainly be there for him in any case.

i'm looking forward to him, even if his solo stuff didn't bowl me over. i feel like he's part of the festival lore, he loves the place, and one of my genuinely favourite people in music...very curious where he'll play (Park?) and hope he's not clashing w/ PJ Harvey and/or Beck. certain to catch him though

Saw him live before Christmas and he just stuck to solo stuff. Quite a mix of styles and not all ballads so worth checking out, plus lots of chats and interactions with the crowd

Would work really well at The Park late afternoon but don't think it would work so well on the bigger stages

it took me quite a while to get into the album, as a big Elbow fan I think I expected it to be an instant like but it took me quite a few spins

I love it now though, there are some really great moments to the album

I don't expect him to play much Elbow stuff, if he does i'll be happy but I wouldn't mind if he doesn't

So, unlikely to get One Day Like This, then?

For a while I felt that Elbow were headliners in waiting, but do you think they've missed their window? Looking back on '14, it seems weird that Arcade Fire and Kasabian were considered headliner material, but Elbow weren't.

Just now, maelzoid said:

For a while I felt that Elbow were headliners in waiting, but do you think they've missed their window? Looking back on '14, it seems weird that Arcade Fire and Kasabian were considered headliner material, but Elbow weren't.

Yes, I think they've missed it.  Unless they manage to release a new album that resonates with the times as much as SSK, I can't see them breaking through to full on headliner now.

13 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

Neil thought they were our 2014 headliners immediately following the 2013 festival (along with Fleetwood Mac and Depeche Mode). thankfully they were not. think they've definitely missed the boat, and to a lot of people are still that band who released Seldom Seen Kid/One Day Like This