2016 Get Fit Thread

koj

The low carb diet is interesting, I cut out carbs completely a while back and lost half a stone in a week but I didn't feel like my body shape changed much.

When I go to the gym but eat usual amount of carbs I can feel my jeans / shirts getting looser but it doesn't doesn't show up as much on the scales. 

The answer I suppose is to do both!

My main aim though is to get fitter and possibly look a bit thinner on the farm so the exercise route is priority one at the moment.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, Digi said:

I am actually really enjoying it, and am eating FAR FAR better than I have done in years.  My problem has never been being a greedy bitch - I don't and never have eaten huge amounts.  I just graze all the time on the wrong stuff.  I'm cooking from scratch for the first time in ages and not just grabbing the first thing I can find out of the cupboard or fridge.  The only thing I do really miss is crisps.  I tend to use my syns in whatever I am cooking and I'll snack on cooked chicken instead.  I don't follow Slimming World to the letter - there are lots of things I don't agree with such as a healthy avacodo having a shit load of syns yet you can stuff down your throat as many Muller Lites with all their unnatural crap in as you like.  I really enjoy my Saturday morning at fat club and all the people that go.... and don't even get my started on how proud I am off my certificates and shiny stickers :D

As for the body fat calculator - Even when running 60km a week I never really bothered with it as I don't think any of them are hugely accurate.  I'm just happy I am getting in to clothes a couple of sizes smaller

I also do't follow to the letter. I generally don't count alcohol syns if I'm out at the weekend. I limit lager and cider and have a few SP days in the run up to a big night. I limit the muller light too but do sometimes have fat free yogurt with oats and fruit for breakfast.

It's working so far and is definitely sustainable long term. I cook healthy meals from scratch and reach for fruit and veg as snacks. My group are great but I'm moving house so may have to move group. 

I might start a "healthy food" thread closer to the festival. Whilst I have no intention of being 100% on plan or depriving myself I'm fairly confident I can make a lot of good choices. I'm thinking jerk chicken, paella, stir-frys rather than fish&chips or burgers. 

A few salads and all the walking might just compensate for the cider...maybe

Just now, morph100 said:

Mrs Morph is doing slimming world, so that means I've cut sugar to a minimum and cheese. Alcohol is a different story....I can only support her so far

alcohol is my almighty downfall when it comes to dieting. i can do the rest piece of piss, but i'll be damned if i'm not gonna go out and get blind drunk every once in a while

So weighed in Thursday after my trip to the us and I've managed to loose any excess I've put on in between and a pound since last official weigh...

Chuffed actually as I could see a negative result persuading me to jack it in this close to the festival.  But as everyone has pointed out... we have 5 weeks to go... aiming for half a stone any more would be a bonus.  I've got a few things on so planning quite a bit but luckily no trips to USA though.

8 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

alcohol is my almighty downfall when it comes to dieting. i can do the rest piece of piss, but i'll be damned if i'm not gonna go out and get blind drunk every once in a while

I've been not drinking for the past 67 days... aiming for 90ish days before Glastonbury to reduce tolerances and not need to carry as much across the site from car..

Haven't found it that bad really

Went for a run on the beach last night - in the rain! First time I've actually been out in bad weather and I see that as a huge step because the weather won't stop me again.

3 hours of roller derby today will be my fifth exercise day of the week & tomorrow I'll have my second rest day.

At this rate I'll actually be doing less exercise than normal over the festival weekend! 

13 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

I'm the same. Alcohol holds a special place in my heart. 

Still on plan, but got bounced by family twice today. Firstly presented with a sausage n egg mcmuffin - which I enjoyed thinking I'd be good for the rest of the day. Further bounced by my mother and sisters treating us to kfc style chicken and chips as I arrived to visit. Also eaten and enjoyed.

so that's two additional bike rides to add in next week I think, we shall see what the scales say when I weekly weigh myself on Monday morning!

Edited by Mollyanne&Mike
typo

Getting there, couple of minor setbacks. Well, one last weekend and this weekend coming is going to be silly.. I'm exercising more than I ever have, which does compensate.. Been to gym this morning, managed 5k on the treadmill for the first time ever. Knackered. 15 miles on bike yesterday, 7 mile round trip each time I go to work.. I'll be disappointed if I'm not at least half a stone down from today by the time Glastonbury comes round.

Might even do a little bit of extra exercise while I'm there. Yeah, there'll be plenty of walking and dancing, fair few hills to do some burning which is good. Seem to remember there being somewhere in Greenfields with exercise bikes that you could attach your phone to and pedal and charge, may have a couple of goes on those..

Hello!  Bit of a late joiner as only just getting back into the swing of being involved with the boards again after life's adventures took me away for a few years.

Have a couple of stone to lose in total (not just for Glastonbury) and want to do it all as a general lifestyle improvement.  Not a fan of giving things up or low fat foods etc as I love food too much so am eating what I want and just keeping an eye on my portion sizes as I think that is my biggest downfall. Going to see the doctor soon too as I think I may have a food intolerance -  started drinking soya rather than diary, switched to decaffeinated drinks and reduced my wheat/gluten intake just as part of a more general health kick and my blood pressure has gone down as has my anxiety and IBS...

Also started up on the couch to 5k programme (ouch!) and try to do more standing up whilst working etc. 

Well done to everyone so far and good luck to us all from now on!

On ‎18‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 3:02 PM, Digi said:

I am actually really enjoying it, and am eating FAR FAR better than I have done in years.  My problem has never been being a greedy bitch - I don't and never have eaten huge amounts.  I just graze all the time on the wrong stuff.  I'm cooking from scratch for the first time in ages and not just grabbing the first thing I can find out of the cupboard or fridge.  The only thing I do really miss is crisps.  I tend to use my syns in whatever I am cooking and I'll snack on cooked chicken instead.  I don't follow Slimming World to the letter - there are lots of things I don't agree with such as a healthy avacodo having a shit load of syns yet you can stuff down your throat as many Muller Lites with all their unnatural crap in as you like.  I really enjoy my Saturday morning at fat club and all the people that go.... and don't even get my started on how proud I am off my certificates and shiny stickers :D

As for the body fat calculator - Even when running 60km a week I never really bothered with it as I don't think any of them are hugely accurate.  I'm just happy I am getting in to clothes a couple of sizes smaller

Not sure how they work on slimming world but try Hula Hoop Pufts, only 72 calories can get salted salt and vinegar or chees & Onion flavours I have only seen them at asda but assume you can get them in larger tescos etc - I am the same and really missed crisps but a bag of these hits the spot without doing too much damage

On 21/05/2016 at 7:43 PM, Mollyanne&Mike said:

Still on plan, but got bounced by family twice today. Firstly presented with a sausage n egg mcmuffin - which I enjoyed thinking I'd be good for the rest of the day. Further bounced by my mother and sisters treating us to kfc style chicken and chips as I arrived to visit. Also eaten and enjoyed.

so that's two additional bike rides to add in next week I think, we shall see what the scales say when I weekly weigh myself on Monday morning!

Lifes for living - but track it and move on!

On 18/05/2016 at 3:02 PM, Digi said:

1 hour ago, noplacelikehome said:

Not sure how they work on slimming world but try Hula Hoop Pufts, only 72 calories can get salted salt and vinegar or chees & Onion flavours I have only seen them at asda but assume you can get them in larger tescos etc - I am the same and really missed crisps but a bag of these hits the spot without doing too much damage

The other good options i've found are:

Popcorn , Ringos http://www.goldenwonder.com/range/ringos , Space Raiders, Quavers, French Fries, Pombears,& Sqaures.  The Walkers Basked hoops and crosses were good too x

I seem to be going nowhere, despite numerous visits to gym + trying to stick with the healthy eating & reduced beer intake over the weekend.

Lost 1lb this week which means I have to lose 10lb in 29 days which just isn't going to happen. :(

On the flip side I'm killing it on the rower and can manage 15 mins on full incline on the treadmill!

Edited by koj

I joined slimming world 4 weeks ago, lost 6.5lb so far. Totally gutted I missed my 1/2 stone certificate by 1/2lb at weigh in last night! I really wanted to lose a stone before Glastonbury, but for the last 2 weeks, despite trying really hard, I have only lost 1lb a week. I think it has something to do with the bottle of wine I accidently drank on Sunday night!

4 weeks to lose another 8lb?? I will give it a go....

15 minutes ago, ejj said:

I joined slimming world 4 weeks ago, lost 6.5lb so far. Totally gutted I missed my 1/2 stone certificate by 1/2lb at weigh in last night! I really wanted to lose a stone before Glastonbury, but for the last 2 weeks, despite trying really hard, I have only lost 1lb a week. I think it has something to do with the bottle of wine I accidently drank on Sunday night!

4 weeks to lose another 8lb?? I will give it a go....

The 1/2 lb will come next week! This has happened each time I get to a new goal, so frustrating. It's entirely possible to lose 2lb every week. Personally, I have 4 or 5 slow weeks (maintain, 0.5, 1lb losses) then a random 2.5 that seems unrelated to what I've eaten. 

I would love to get off 5.5 (taking me to a 2st total) by the festival but I'm trying to shift focus to the longer term aim of getting to and maintaining a healthier weight and lifestyle. I definitely don't want to miss it by 0.5lb and go on a wild binge all summer. 

I have lost 12 lb during May by calorie counting and using my fitbit to tell me how much I can have each day.  The aim is to have a deficit of 1000 calories per day.  this should lead to a 2lb/week loss.  

My aim is to lose a further 11lb before glasto, so I think that is going to be tricky as I don't think I can keep up that rate of loss (also I am going to Bearded Theory in a couple of days, so festival food and drink will scupper me).

I am running twice during the work week (5km each) and trying to increase activity at weekends as that's when the temptation to eat junk and drink alcohol comes in.... I haven't really drunk more than a glass of wine in the last month or so...

19 hours ago, koj said:

I seem to be going nowhere, despite numerous visits to gym + trying to stick with the healthy eating & reduced beer intake over the weekend.

Lost 1lb this week which means I have to lose 10lb in 29 days which just isn't going to happen. :(

On the flip side I'm killing it on the rower and can manage 15 mins on full incline on the treadmill!

Are you noticing a change in shape though? last year when i was doing longer distance running, I was really frustrated that i wasn't losing any weight... but others could definitely see a difference in my physique.

Edited by Kay95

On 13 April 2016 at 10:17 AM, maelzoid said:

I and a few fellow attendees are seriously considering a jog / run at the festival. I think we'd do it on Thursday morning (ie 11ish) and are thinking of running along the inside fence as best as possible.  Should be about 6 miles.  We're keen runners and its always been an idea, just to bring a little bit of running into the festival, and also a novel way to see a lot of the site.

The one logistical issue would be showers afterward, but with a bit of forward planning could be dealt with.

Any opinions? Any other runners interested in joining us?  It's agreed you'd have to wear a wife-beater and headband

Hi

Has this been planned?  I'm still not sure if we're coming down Wednesday or Thursday (childcare stuff) but if I'm there I might give this a go.  I'm not fast mind! xx