2016 - Any help or advice needed ?

ramragon

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, gingerchick633 said:

Hi all.

Kendal Calling and Festival virgin here! But very excited about all of this.

What are the prices like in the festival site?

Beer, food, etc.

I'm obviously bringing a little bit of alcohol myself :P but when in the arena what are the prices like?

Also food. What do most people do, buy onsite or cook at campsite. If you cook at campsite any hints and tips.

We are staying in two bell tents, 7 young at heart female colleagues. Has anyone any experience of the bell tents, toilets and washing facilities there?

And what about mobile phones? Whats the best way to recharge. At home I charge mine up every night. Is it worth just buying a cheap phone and bringing disposable cameras or will my samsung s5 last if I use it sparingly.

PS I'm under no illusion that the washing facilities will not be like a shower at home, baby wipes have already been bought! :D

Thanks.

Hi!  I've only been to KC once but been to lots of other festivals so hope I can help. 

Food is usually about £7 to £10 for a main meal,  depending on what you like.  You can get a wide variety of food in the main arena but it's a bit limited in the camping area unless you like bacon butties.  Most people bring snacks,  maybe cereal for breakfast but then buy the rest of the food there.  

Can't help with the specifics of Bell tents but washing facilities are usually very limited.   If you can,  bring a portable stove so at least you can heat water for a coffee and a warm tent wash. 

You can buy a portable battery pack eg Anker for your phone and there is usually charging facilities for a fee.   Or take the opportunity to ditch communication for a few days and only switch your phone on occasionally... It can be quite liberating!

Other advice?  Plenty of layers as it gets nippy in the evening.  Comfy footwear is essential.  Don't forget the "colour"  theme and some fancy dress.  Glitter,  glows ticks and glam!  Oh,  and no glass on site!  Have fun x

I normally take about 300 quid for the weekend,

I've never cooked my own food at the tent, cooking equipment and food is just more stuff to carry to your tent. I've never staying in the bell tents so not sure how far they are from the car park, but normal camping is 30mins plus walk to your tent depending when you arrive.

as for booze usually take about 2 crates and a bottle of summit stronger (remember glass bottles aren't allowed on site at all, so you will need to decant spirits into a plastic bottle), and you can't take your own drinks into the arena area, but with a little clever thinking you can get some in.

But again with the the booze you'll need to carry in all from the car park so I would go to mental, 

the only way you'll manage to keep it cold is with a cool box and buying ice daily, again this is a pain in the arse, buy cider, warm cider is 100% better then warm lager.

charging your phone, buy an anker charger from Amazon, it's a big battery that you can charge your phone from, i get about 6 days out of it, but if last year is anything to go by I used hardly any battery as the mobile phone signal was shite and I couldn't log on to Facebook ha

and take a fold up chair, wet wipes, and toilet roll and you'll be fine.

•  
  •  

3 hours ago, Elliot render said:
the only way you'll manage to keep it cold is with a cool box and buying ice daily, again this is a pain in the arse, buy cider, warm cider is 100% better then warm lager

Do they sell ice at the campsite shop? Never actually went to it before (never had any real need), but if so then I might get one of them collapsible buckets as a makeshift cooler. Not ideal, but should at least stop cans getting warm if it's sunny.

From bitter experience, my main recommendation would be warm, waterproof clothes. Anything else you can buy on-site if it comes to it, but if you get cold and wet it quickly becomes a fairly miserable experience; it's worth taking a wee backpack to fling a hoodie or something in as it can get cold pretty quickly at night.

The selection of food is really good, could probably eat well enough for £15 a day if you take cereal bars and stuff.

Pizzas at chai wallas are good. About a tenner I think and I always enjoy a curry from ghandis flip flop for about 8 quid.

Was a good noodle place near the swings last year round near house of fun....or whatever it's called.

Stick your cans under your ground sheet at night and they will be chilled by morning. 

On Tuesday, February 09, 2016 at 3:57 PM, ramragon said:

I guess after how well used the last few years threads have been its probably time to start one for this year.

if anyone has any questions they wanna ask about Kendal Calling or need some advice or clarification on something then fire away. It doesn't matter how trivial you think the question is im sure you'll get a response. Nobody on here works for the festival so the answers you'll get are based on our experiences going to it over past years. Don't hit us if we're slightly wrong though as the rules, layouts and plans change a lot

Plus if any non members want to join to ask anything please feel free. The more the merrier

What's the crack with alcohol limits for the campsite? 1st time at KC had no bother elsewhere but saw a comment somewhere that folk had been told any alcohol has to be carried in on 1st entrance. Any truth in it? This whole enough for one person is a bit subjective. We usually sort out tent/s then go back for drink, etc. Thx in advance

On Sunday, July 03, 2016 at 10:41 PM, gingerchick633 said:

Thanks bexj for the reply.

Lots of info there. We are having a get together to plan things. Basically how much alcohol to take and how we are gonna keep it cold lol

oh and  we may take some food as well

:lol:

Freeze some bottles of water and put in coolbag with your cans acts as ice blocks, they take a while to fully defrost if frozen solid and then you have super cold water when you're dying of a hangover

First time Kendal Calling goer here, I have a few question.

We have Thursday tickets but we were wondering what is the best time to arrive? To avoid the majority of the queues.

I have read on website you are unable to leave the site. Does this mean I'm unable to leave some drink in the car and return to the car to collect this? 

Does anyone have any idea what proportion of people enter the festival on a Thursday? Between a few of us we have a rather large and was wondering wether we would get it pitch and where is best to pitch it? We don't want to be too far from the arena but would like to be able to get some sleep at some point. 

5 hours ago, Eton37 said:

First time Kendal Calling goer here, I have a few question.

We have Thursday tickets but we were wondering what is the best time to arrive? To avoid the majority of the queues.

I have read on website you are unable to leave the site. Does this mean I'm unable to leave some drink in the car and return to the car to collect this? 

Does anyone have any idea what proportion of people enter the festival on a Thursday? Between a few of us we have a rather large and was wondering wether we would get it pitch and where is best to pitch it? We don't want to be too far from the arena but would like to be able to get some sleep at some point. 

There have been storys of people not being aloud back out to their cars one year but i think the festival soon realised that isnt really an enforceable rule so i think you'll be fine getting your get in and then doing a booze run

The no pass out rule is rarely enforced, as for where to camp the main camp site isnt very big you'll be no more than 5 mins away from the arena entrance where ever you camp. If you want to be sleeping at night id suggest turning left at the bottom of the hill once through the gate, if you want to party more turn right towards where the arena entrance is

A regular at Glastonbury, but another first timer at Kendall Calling with questions as follows (apologies if there are answers in other threads):;

1. Arriving with my wife and two teenagers, I am looking for a family camping area, is there just the one field to head for and is it easily found, i.e. well sign-posted?

2. Roughly how far is Family Camping from the car parks?  We have a trolley, but wondering if it is better to do two trips of lighter loads.

3. Should we resign ourselves to not being able to get any alcohol into the main arena area?  

4. Can soft drinks be taken into the main arena?

5. Should we expect long queues into car parking on Thursday?  and leaving out of the car parks on Monday?

5. Apart from the Charlatans set on Thursday, will there be lots of other things going off on Thursday?

6. For my future reference, how hard is it to get Emperor's Field tickets when they go on sale?

Thanks

3 hours ago, wickmiller said:

A regular at Glastonbury, but another first timer at Kendall Calling with questions as follows (apologies if there are answers in other threads):;

1. Arriving with my wife and two teenagers, I am looking for a family camping area, is there just the one field to head for and is it easily found, i.e. well sign-posted? well posted but dead easy, main entrance at top of the hill, you go down the hill, anywhere to your left should be fine

2. Roughly how far is Family Camping from the car parks?  We have a trolley, but wondering if it is better to do two trips of lighter loads. not far but if you end up parked at the back then could be further, is up then down though, if your trolley is decent then use that

3. Should we resign ourselves to not being able to get any alcohol into the main arena area?  it is well know that some of the organisers read these threads so yes no chance I'm afraid, using your teenagers as decoy mules whilst your wife hides booze in a specially purchased oversized bra would definately not work

4. Can soft drinks be taken into the main arena? only if still sealed 

5. Should we expect long queues into car parking on Thursday?  and leaving out of the car parks on Monday? before last year I would've said no to both however getting in last year was a mare

5. Apart from the Charlatans set on Thursday, will there be lots of other things going off on Thursday? there was 4 acts last year so expect the same this year, the main camping green has always previously set fire to a large wooden sculpture (guitar/ rocket etc) and a few of the bars and some shops/ eateries will be open but that'll be about it

6. For my future reference, how hard is it to get Emperor's Field tickets when they go on sale? I buy on first sale day and have never had an issue but reading on facebook etc lots of people do

Thanks

comments above, hope these help

Rob

Hi

does anyone know what days the acts are on yet (or even any strong rumours/clever working from tour dates) or when the information will be released?

I can only make 1.5 days (ideally at start) so wondering how it will fall before I buy a ticket. 

Many thanks

LR

Ticket question from me.  We are still undecided on Thursday tickets and not likely to know if we can do the Thursday until the start of the week of the festival.

Any idea what happens (if even possible) if we buy last minute Thursday tickets? Would it be an e-ticket?

I have - its fab. The luxury of not having to put up your own tent , ease of access parking wise - no queue to get in. concierge to help you to your yurt.phone charging available. nice little food outlet on site. Pamper Tent with straighteners and hair dryers included in cost. Loads of room around your yurt, no complete knackers camped next to you as they have been priced out.  just fantastic. Unfortunately i'm back in emperors this year.

Thanks Goldiegrey. The pamper tent is extra this year but Im a wack it in platts n go girl so not to fussed about the hair things to much. we have emperors tickets to use the toilets/showers/charger stations etc which I deffo am fussed about ;)  lol. Hoping there is a lot of space in them tho as six of use are squeezing in now!

did you have far to drag your stuff from the car? my hubby is insisting on taking a huge cool box and ice so think its going to take a lot of trips to and fro... arghhhhhhhhhh x

On 08/07/2016 at 0:41 PM, Drfoxxx said:

My friends are staying in the campervan field, and taking our tent with them. I'm coming through main entrance with my girlfriend, will we be ok just to get through into the campervan field and set up our tent next to the van? 

If it fits on their pitch then it's ok is the advice I've had. I'm pitching a tent next to my van so it best had be OK! 

The car park is not far at all from the deer lodge field. The bell tents are closest then a little further up hill to the yurts and tipis. But still not far - but this year they may change the position of them. Cant believe that they have charged for the little pamper tent this year! hiring a yurt is costly enough! Showers were available in deer lodge along with chargers etc. do you have to use the emperor showers this year?

On 8 July 2016 at 0:29 PM, trebor1892 said:

Ticket question from me.  We are still undecided on Thursday tickets and not likely to know if we can do the Thursday until the start of the week of the festival.

Any idea what happens (if even possible) if we buy last minute Thursday tickets? Would it be an e-ticket?

Definitely buying Thursday tickets now woohoo!

On 9 February 2016 at 3:57 PM, ramragon said:

Hi  I have a trailer tent and a live in vehicle ticket. Was wondering if they enforce the one car per live in vehicle rule? There are a load of conditions on the ticket like no camping on live in etc which I know they don't enforce so was hoping this was another one they didn't enforce. No way can I get 4 people plus all gear in one car 

8 hours ago, goldiegrey said:

The car park is not far at all from the deer lodge field. The bell tents are closest then a little further up hill to the yurts and tipis. But still not far - but this year they may change the position of them. Cant believe that they have charged for the little pamper tent this year! hiring a yurt is costly enough! Showers were available in deer lodge along with chargers etc. do you have to use the emperor showers this year?

yes unless you pay another 30quid you have to use the emperor showers. your not wrong about the cost! its instead of a holiday this year so I hope it is worth it..... lol