Tremousse

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello everyone,

this year we wanted to go to werchter via motorhome. I tried to order camping tickets yesterday before 20 p.m. but the website from proximus was not working. So we only got our 4 day festival tickets.

Is there any chance to stay on the motorhome camping area without a camping ticket(rw website says that it is not possible).

Is it possible to park and sleep in the motorhome at the city of leuven near the railwaystation? (Can anyone recommend a street/parking place?)

How can i travel back to leuven at the end of the festival days? Are there any shuttle buses or taxis available?

If not, is it possible to park and sleep somewhere in walking distance to the festival ground?

Thanks a lot for any information and help!!!!

Hope well have a nice, dry and relaxed time at Werchter

Blundstone

8 hours ago, Blundstone said:

Hello everyone,

this year we wanted to go to werchter via motorhome. I tried to order camping tickets yesterday before 20 p.m. but the website from proximus was not working. So we only got our 4 day festival tickets.

Is there any chance to stay on the motorhome camping area without a camping ticket(rw website says that it is not possible).

Is it possible to park and sleep in the motorhome at the city of leuven near the railwaystation? (Can anyone recommend a street/parking place?)

How can i travel back to leuven at the end of the festival days? Are there any shuttle buses or taxis available?

If not, is it possible to park and sleep somewhere in walking distance to the festival ground?

Thanks a lot for any information and help!!!!

Hope well have a nice, dry and relaxed time at Werchter

Blundstone

Hi Blundstone,
Try the new A7 motorhome camping and tell them you already left before the news came. If there is place, i don't think they gonna send you back home. The motorhome campsite is normaly more flexible (let's hope).
If not, you can try the unofficial motorhome camping Klokkeberg (www.klokkeberg.be).
Good luck!

Dear Micvet,

thank you very much for your reply, i just phoned with the owner of camping klokkeberg. I didn t knew this place before, ussually we stayed at c3. But in the years before we didn`t got the motorhome.

Tomorow at past midday i`ll start to klokkeberg.:D

3 hours ago, Blundstone said:

Dear Micvet,

thank you very much for your reply, i just phoned with the owner of camping klokkeberg. I didn t knew this place before, ussually we stayed at c3. But in the years before we didn`t got the motorhome.

Tomorow at past midday i`ll start to klokkeberg.:D

You own me a pint at Klokkeberg! :)
We're there from Thursday morning with our 2 beautiful old Citroën HY vans.

Sitting sleepy at Brussels Airport after RW 16. Not a bad weekend but line up wasn't overly exciting. Main highlights, BMTH, New Order, PJ Harvey and Beck.  The organisers did their best to minimise  the problems with mud and to be fair they did a great job.

Rain was a bit of a pain at times but site was fine.

Belgians are a real friendly lot and made us scottish lads welcome.

We stayed in Hive Resort and it was worth the extra, particularly after the look of Hive camping this year. That said, if it had been weather like RW16, then the hive is fine.

Wil I go next year ?. Maybe.  Need to be a better line up to get me back. 

Overall it's a fantastically well run festival, easy to get to and one where the organisation seems to be joined up. Free train to Leuven, free shuttle buses and not that far to walk.

Here's hoping they pull together a stronger line up for next year and I'll probably go back 

I think overall it was a good edition. Not their best lineup of course but we knew that already :)

The site itself got a little bit smaller then it used to,  the Barn and KluB C were closer to each other and to the main stage.  Despite that,  the site was looking shockingly empty, there's no way they sold more than 90% of the tickets. You could get into the tents whenever you want and get into the front rows without bothering people. Some acts played to a 1/3 full tent! 

They handle the situation with the mud very well and they add a lot of places to sit.  The area between the tents (with the screen and the sound system)  works well and might get some pressure off the tents once it goes back to 100% capacity. It was easy to navigate wherever you want and there were no queues at the site at all. 

My highlights were Foals, Editors and Glen Hansard. My biggest surprise were Bear's Den. 

The only one thing that bothered me this year was the amount of acts that played much less then advertised. There were many acts that played 10-15 minutes shorter sets.  For acts that supposed to play 45-60 minutes, that's a lot.  I know it can happen sometimes but to me it looks like RW eventually signed some bands to play less time than they were on the schedule.  

Edited by e2p2

RW16 was my 3rd RW in a row, and I found it was not as good as the two previous editions, but it was still very good.

My top 3 was Glen Hansard (the best to me, huge goosebumps, so soulful, perfect harmonies, and what an entertainer...This man should headline the festival, I think he is really underrated), then the two legends : Paul McCartney and Robert Plant (I especially lost my mind when he bootlegged Whole Lotta Love and Mona by Quicksilver Messenger Service... I felt like I was in Woodstock or Atlanta Pop).

One of my muddiest festivals, and I loved it, it added something EPIC to the atmosphere. I didn't spend a lot of money thanks to recycling : the (OK) line-up allowed me to have time to recycle. Nevertheless concerning acts, I had more disappointments than previous editions... I found that the timetable was really bad. Lot of acts should have played in the evening instead of early afternoon. Some acts I've seen with ratings :

Nathaniel Rateliif & the Night Sweats : 7,5/10 - I'm a fan of this band, but they played too early in the afternoon. Still one of the best musical acts of the festival. I wish they had done an encore with The Shape I'm In but they didn't have a lot of time. I prefered their show last week at Solidays in Paris.

Walk Off The Earth : 7,5/10 - Good moments with them, their joy is communicative, I had a good time but nothing transcending.

Gütterdammerung : 7/10 - I expected a little bit more. But the Ace of Spades saved my rating :P

Paul McCartney : 9,5/10 - My first Macca show, and I had a blast. I was surprinsingly very emotionned by Here Today, and Hey Jude became the anthem of the festival (with Will Grigg's on Fire) and was fantastic. Live and Let Die with Fireworks was EPIC.

Frightened Rabbit : 6,5/10 - Great band which played way too early. It was just OK, it's not a "waking up" act at all.

Gary Clark Jr : 8,5/10 - He's unique. What a groovy way to play the blues, one of the highlights of my festival.

Daughter : 7,5/10 - I'm biased because of our eyes.

Black Box Revelation : 8/10 - What a duet. I had never seen them before, and they are not popular at all in my country.

Robert Plant & the Sensationnal Spaceshifters : 9,5/10 : my third show, and as always having a blast. I wish they could play an even longer set at the festival, but I'm totally satisfied.

The Offspring : 8/10 - Had an amazing time with punks in the mud.

Rammstein : 8/10 - Not transcended by their music, but what an impressive show, by far the most impressive music act in terms of "show" of the 21th century. It was the 2nd time I saw them after Hellfest two weeks ago, where they played after Dropkick Murphys (bad idea) and they looked a bit boring after the monumental Dropkick show. This show was much more enjoyable. Loved it.

The Struts : 7,5/10 - They played too early in the afternoon. They could do a huge gig if their set was at 5pm.

Glen Hansard : 10/10 - Even if he played too early on Saturday, he was the best. Imagine what he could do in The Barn at 9pm...

Two Door Cinema Club : 6/10 - Found it a bit boring.

Beirut : 2/10 - Shame.

PJ Harvey : 5/10 - Boring as well. Why the fuck Glen Hansard can't be here on the timetable instead of her and Beirut ?

Red Hot Chili Peppers : 7/10 - Another show I left. A bit disappointed by the lack of "density" of their music, even if they are cool.

Tame Impala : 8,5/10 - I lost my mind here. They were fantastic.

Editors : 9/10 - My first Editors show, not my favourite band at all. What a crowd. The 3 last songs were EPIC. What a communion on No Sound But The Wind. In the morning, people at the PlayStation area told me they didn't came for RHCP but for Editors (they are not well-known in my country) and I felt they were at home. Super surprise!

Vintage Trouble : 8/10 - Run Baby Run. Best waking up band this year, they deserve way more than an opener slot. Ty Taylor is one of the best frontmen alive.

Bear's Den : 7/10 - I was a little bit disappointed : I had already seen this band on stage and they were fantastic. This time I felt like they were here to promote their new album, and the setlist was not as good. They only play something like 5 of their main tracks; so even if the final on Agape was as always great, they could have been much better with another setlist. But still good. I regret to have not left for The Strypes.

Elle King : 8/10 - One of my biggest surprises of this Werchter : I didn't know her music (except ex's and oh's) and I loved it. Her kind of music particularly touch me (blues and soul etc), so I had a great time.

James Bay : 6,5/10 - Not my dope. I left after two recycling bags.

Iggy Pop : 7/10 - I expected a little bit more. But I was not in the pit!

Foals : 9/10 - Lost my mind. I understand now why they headline Reading festival.

Unknown Mortal Orchestra : 8/10 - Very original, and I had a great time with the amazing Icelandic supporters (while I was wearing a french flag).

Beck : 7/10 - I expected way more sensations, maybe it's just me I don't know. I was not moved.

Macklemore & Ryan Lewis : 7,5/10 - Not my kind of music but I had fun with Belgians. The cut didn't disturb us.

Florence & The Machine : 8/10 -  I was forced to compare to her EPIC show last year at RW15. I thought that this headline slot would give him the possibility to do an even more incredible show, but the crowd was not moved as last year. Nevertheless the night made her show more mesmerizing.

Conclusion : THE BARN. IS. THE PLACE TO BE.

43 minutes ago, Red Day said:

I did see someone wandering around draped in a french flag. Wonder if that was you. 

You weren't chatting to icelanders at the bar next to main merch stall on Saturday evening were you ? 

Oh I think that was my friend Boris ahah :)

Favourite acts of the weekend were glen Hansard and editors. I've been to festivals with way worse conditions, but it was really well organised and it never became a problem. Although we were in the hive resort, the hive itself  was pretty fucked. 

We got a really good group together of Dutch, Belgians, Germans and Romanians, I didn't get to sleep earlier than 5:30am on any night so apologies to any hive resort campers we may have kept up haha 

6 hours ago, Tremousse said:

Conclusion : THE BARN. IS. THE PLACE TO BE.

You are right my friend, that's why I dont understand why do you mind having great acts playing early. Unlike the main stage, the Barn and KluB C enjoy from being almost in the dark, especially with the weather we had this year.  Watching Hansard and the likes in the middle of the day at the tents are much better than on the main stage.

For example I watched the Strypes at the main stage from real close and gone at their final song to Bear's Den at the Barn. You can't compare the atmosphere, so don't feel sorry your decision.

I really like the way you could move within a minute from one good show to another at the tents.

34 minutes ago, e2p2 said:

You are right my friend, that's why I dont understand why do you mind having great acts playing early. Unlike the main stage, the Barn and KluB C enjoy from being almost in the dark, especially with the weather we had this year.  Watching Hansard and the likes in the middle of the day at the tents are much better than on the main stage.

For example I watched the Strypes at the main stage from real close and gone at their final song to Bear's Den at the Barn. You can't compare the atmosphere, so don't feel sorry your decision.

I really like the way you could move within a minute from one good show to another at the tents.

I prefer the Barn in the evening cause to me it's time when the crowd has its better shape ! Actually I was so disappointed by Beirut and PJ Harvey that my thought is maybe disturbed x) I had in my mind the (incredible) shows of Patti Smith and Damien Rice last year, and EPIC moments like this :

4 hours ago, Red Day said:

I had earplugs in and slept like a log in the tipi.

Those tipi's looked mighty fine haha. Our party tent was at the corner of one of the paths. I came to the conclusion that it really doesn't matter who's playing if you're in the right company. Pretty sure I'll be going again next year 

Damien Rice was epic last year.

Foals were absolutely great at 6p.m and the crowd was in a fine shape despite having 3 and a half days of festivities already :)

When somebody rocks the Barn, it doesn't matter what time is it. its infectious. 

3rd year at werchter and thoroughly enjoyed it once again. I'd even say best one yet! Did run into a few idiots in and around the main stage but there's always going to be some at a festival of werchters size. The security measures didn't make any difference as it was the quickest I've entered after 3 years of going, I'd also say the mud was very well managed. Now to the music and band ratings.

Kaiser Chiefs 8/10 - Ricky's energy is brilliant. Not a huge fan on record but they certainly know how to get a crowd going and think they're back at their best live.

Jake Bugg 8/10 - Seeing him while it was pissing down didn't put a dampener on the set, in fact I think it made it even better. 

Ellie Goulding 8/10 - Girlfriend wanted to watch her and think her voice has improved live since 2 years ago and was decent for that sort of thing.

New Order 9/10 - Think they started off a bit boring as didn't know loads of the tunes but the last 3/4 songs went off and made them a band to remember.

Paul McCartney 9/10 - Went and watched after New Order and I'm glad we did as he was fantastic and you wouldn't have heard as many classic songs anywhere else, great surprise!

Disclosure 5/10 - Good for the time we watched them but left after around 5 songs as I don't know too many songs and not really into their kind of dance music usually.

Bring Me The Horizon 9/10 - Always fantastic and get the crowd going, never disappoint even if Oli was losing his voice. The video before made me laugh and actually got the crowd going more I would say.

At The Drive In 7/10 - Liked these, shame about the really small crowd.

The 1975 2/10 - Boring and forgettable so went and watched...

The Offspring 10/10 - Best act of the weekend, all the hits and the crowd was loving it.

Two Door Cinema Club 5/10 - OK

Goose 6/10 - Didn't know these which is why it's only 6 but think they have potentially and might listen to more now I'm home!

Red Hot Chili Peppers 9/10 - 5th time seeing these and the last 3 times have been terrible with too much jamming and missing out classic songs. Although they jammed I thought it was musically really talented and not too over the top as seen at Reading 2007. Good setlist and very happy they put Under The Bridge in the set.

Editors 9/10 - would have been 10/10 but had to leave before the last 3 songs unfortunately but they were still amazing and great to finish off the night. So glad they're appreciated this much in Belgium as I would happily see them headline a UK festival.

James Bay 4/10 - Saw him last year in the barn and bought his album because of it as he was fantastic however this year he was quite dull and you could see that from how the crowd acted.

Iggy Pop 7/10 - Good

Foals 9/10 - Very very good set in the barn

The Last Shadow Puppets 4/10 - Forgettable

Macklemore & Ryan Lewis 10/10 - Brilliant end to my weekend, absolutely loved it.