Glastonbury Crew T Shirts from last few years. Some available,charity.

Sawdusty surfer

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still have some Glastonbury Crew T Shirts available. All proceeds go to helping the folk in The Jungle in Calais. If interested, email me, englishgardenart@hotmail.co.uk   

Good luck tomorrow folks.

Which ones/sizes do you have left? :)

• 3 months later...

Hi, just thought I'd give you an update. I delivered a van full of marquee tarps to Calais and finally saw Liz for the first time in months. She is still there and actually lives right in the middle of The Jungle.She has been there for months, quite incredible if you were to actually see the place and the people. She is running (as best she can) a women's and children's help centre. The conditions there are extraordinarily grim and god knows how she is still persevering. She is the only volunteer that actually lives there full time and says she has to as emergencies happen 24hrs a day, not just during office hours. She specifically asked me to thank all you guys that bought the crew t shirts, you helped more than you realise. 

In this article she is the 'one lone British volunteer' that is mentioned. She is so hardcore, you just can't imagine.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jan/07/calais-french-migrant-camps-refugee-crisis?CMP=fb_gu

1 hour ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Hi, just thought I'd give you an update. I delivered a van full of marquee tarps to Calais and finally saw Liz for the first time in months. She is still there and actually lives right in the middle of The Jungle.She has been there for months, quite incredible if you were to actually see the place and the people. She is running (as best she can) a women's and children's help centre. The conditions there are extraordinarily grim and god knows how she is still persevering. She is the only volunteer that actually lives there full time and says she has to as emergencies happen 24hrs a day, not just during office hours. She specifically asked me to thank all you guys that bought the crew t shirts, you helped more than you realise. 

In this article she is the 'one lone British volunteer' that is mentioned. She is so hardcore, you just can't imagine.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jan/07/calais-french-migrant-camps-refugee-crisis?CMP=fb_gu

Until reading that article I had absolutely no idea about the conditions in Calais. I did buy one of the t shirts off you but never actually received it but thought what the fuck it's for charity anyway. I had no idea though of how badly that charity is needed though. Fair play to you for dropping the tarps off for people to shelter under. Just looking at that photo reminds me of Glastonbury 2007. That was just about OK living in for a few days but would be abject misery to live in constantly like I now know they are at Calais.

Apart from money (which I have very little of right now) to donate is there anything else a person can do to help those suffering under these conditions? I'm wondering about whether there is local clothing collections and maybe food collections that I could contribute to?

I don't post much on FB, likely more on here on average. As I put it on my FB wall, thought I'd stick it on here as well . The festival crew/sub-culture bit is interesting. I actually wrote the post before I found the newspaper article at the bottom.

I don't post political stuff on FB as a rule, but here's an exception.

I drove to Calais the day before yesterday with Kevin to drop off a load of extra heavy duty marquee tarps, tents, bedding and food. All desperately needed in The Jungle refugee camp.

We dropped it off in the warehouse which is the hub for collections and distribution. The warehouse was staffed by a lovely posse of extremely hard working volunteers who were, to a man (or woman) , what most people would describe as 'hippies'.
We visited The Jungle and I've lived in and seen some pretty crazy and/or grim environments over the years, but The Jungle was really something else.
There is only one 'westerner' actually living right in the middle of The Jungle, an old friend of ours and she runs a womens and childrens help centre.One of her main roles is to be 'mum' to some teenage orphaned lads. She has gained total respect from all the residents there.She actually drives a big 4x4 army truck and when one of the residents of the camp needed some furniture for a makeshift cafe she got out her chainsaw and made him some. Attracted quite a crowd apparently. How ballsy is that? I suspect that she may have made a slight impression on some of the men from other cultures regarding the role of women smile emoticon

I'm posting this because I find it just extraordinary that it seems that the only people helping out long term on the ground there seem to be from an alternative sub-culture. Where are the NGOs, Save The Children, Oxfam, etc etc?All these mainstream charities that suck up donations from people on the streets of the UK (you have seen all the chuggers). There is a massive crisis less than a 2 hour drive from London and the only help on offer comes from a bunch of festival crew,ex travellers and people that tend to live an alternative lifestyle. Generally speaking, people that really don't actually have much themselves.

Sorry for the slight rant, but you have to see it to believe it.

I've not been to the Grand-Synthe camp in Dunkirk yet. From what I've heard that camp makes The Jungle look like a holiday camp.

........And no, I don't have all the answers, but until someone does sort something out, it looks like that it is going to the people described above who are going to just carry on doing what they can.

http://www.independent.co.uk/…/refugee-crisis-police-block-…

Edited by Sawdusty Surfer

• 1 month later...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/glastonbury-festival-volunteers-flock-to-calais-jungle-to-offer-help-a6872366.html

Glastonbury Festival volunteers flock to Calais Jungle to offer help

Incredibly Liz is still there. She's running the children's and women's centre right in the middle of it and is likely to get evicted in the next week or two.

Again, thanks for everyone that bought t shirts. You really made a difference. x

• 2 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

She's some woman isn't she. But then you already knew that. It's people like Liz who are the true heroes and heroines of this world. 

Liz under her truck. A communal building caught fire a few days ago. Liz (ex firefighter) did the only thing she could to stop the fire spreading to many wooden homes adjacent to the building. She jumped in her truck and bulldozed the whole blazing lot out of the way! Damaged her truck and smashed the windscreen. Not easy to replace on such a rare beast. She's fine and still in the thick of it. Quite soon I'm going to set up a donation page to raise funds for her to go on holiday for a month or more, Bali or some tropical island.Eventually she'll be able to take it. She can't carry on for ever. She's worked tirelessly in The Jungle since just after Glastonbury. Crazy hours and no days off. An absolute Saint. Don't expect there to be any problems raising the money .

liz truck 1.jpg

15 hours ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Liz under her truck. A communal building caught fire a few days ago. Liz (ex firefighter) did the only thing she could to stop the fire spreading to many wooden homes adjacent to the building. She jumped in her truck and bulldozed the whole blazing lot out of the way! Damaged her truck and smashed the windscreen. Not easy to replace on such a rare beast. She's fine and still in the thick of it. Quite soon I'm going to set up a donation page to raise funds for her to go on holiday for a month or more, Bali or some tropical island.Eventually she'll be able to take it. She can't carry on for ever. She's worked tirelessly in The Jungle since just after Glastonbury. Crazy hours and no days off. An absolute Saint. Don't expect there to be any problems raising the money .

liz truck 1.jpg

Great idea James - I'll stick £20.00 in to get it started

Just seen liz on BBC news channel brought a smile to my face knowing that the T Shirt I consider myself very fortunate to have has made a bit of a difference. She is one of life's real hero's and we can all learn a bit from her selfless attitude to life.

• 1 month later...

OK, from the responses on here there doesn't seem to be much interest in Liz ..... So this is probably my last post on this thread. 

Here's a BBC Radio Four Profile audio clip about her.

She's been described as a swearing, chain-smoking version of Mother Teresa. Mother-of-two Liz Clegg was once a firefighter in Devon who hung out at music festivals.

If you clock her at Glastonbury this year, please buy her a pint. This is well worth a listen.

Thanks so much to everyone on here that helped get her get going in her first few weeks by buying a T Shirt. That money was all she had in the early days.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b078mtvg?fb_action_ids=10153604186337532&fb_action_types=og.shares

29 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

OK, from the responses on here there doesn't seem to be much interest in Liz ..... So this is probably my last post on this thread.

I definitely don't think that's the case - it's certainly not for me. Liz sounds like an amazing woman doing amazing work - but I've not posted about her partly because those facts should be obvious to everyone and I don't really have anything more insightful to contribute on the subject, and partly because the amazing effort she's putting in relative to my tiny contribution makes me feel like an arsehole who's not doing nearly enough to help the situation in Calais.

58 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Here's a BBC Radio Four Profile audio clip about her.

She's been described as a swearing, chain-smoking version of Mother Teresa. Mother-of-two Liz Clegg was once a firefighter in Devon who hung out at music festivals.

If you clock her at Glastonbury this year, please buy her a pint. This is well worth a listen.

Thanks so much to everyone on here that helped get her going in her first few weeks by buying a T Shirt. That money was all she had in the early days.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b078mtvg?fb_action_ids=10153604186337532&fb_action_types=og.shares

Please don't stop posting. It's so easy to become numb to the ongoing continual crisis in Calais, I personally am simultaneously in awe of Liz and deeply shamed that I've not done more.

I don't feel like I have anything to say, but I read these updates avidly and would be very sad if they ended.

This may have already been covered, but is there a preferred way of making a donation to help her out in her efforts?

I don't know what's been going on with the tech stuff here Sawdusty but I have definitely posted a link to her being at some conference (New York????) and @guypjfreak posted a little while after - there may also have been more from others since (is there maybe another similar thread?????) .  Please, please don't think there is little interest.  It may be that many don't know what to say in the face of her astounding willingness to help others above and beyond what most would consider do-able (I completely include myself in that) but that isn't a sign of lack of interest.  I will happily donate, just let me know how to do so.  Sorry if you feel we've let you down in any way.