Going Alone / Camp Loner Thread

Chris_Hayter88

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't you organise groups??

We did as we do every year but i was away on holiday and didn't have my laptop with the others details. and a random guy on the campsite got on the reg page and i managed to get a ticket through that way. obv had my detail on a e-mail

Edited by Deano77

So where is best to camp then? :)

Everyone has a different answer to that question.  Tort's guide is a good place to start with a field by field write up (not sure how accurate it is with the changes and additions in recent years, but in general the rule of thumb is that the closer you are to the action the more of a party field it will be.  If you want a quieter night try fields on the outskirts.

Got mine today too guys! Happy to see you through as well.

Seems my ticket luck has continued for a second year - managed to get all of my group of 9(!)'s tickets this morning after failing for myself in the coach sale.

So in a surprise plot twist I'm not going to be part of the solo group this year! Found some friends last year that I'm going to be setting up camp with. I'm honestly a little gutted inside that I won't be part of the madness again!

Can we engineer a camp-solo social at some point??

Brilliant! I'd imagine a meet up is a must.....

• 2 weeks later...

Camped in Darble right next to the Camp Solo guys this year (excellent flag for guidance :P) and would recommend it, especially if going by coach. It's a little out of the way and probably an extra 5 or so minutes walk but it's nice and quiet, loads of room if you're not getting there early (got a very good spot at 12pm Thursday and there was loads of room all weekend) and right by the coach drop off/pick up so you don't have to traipse miles on arrival and especially when leaving Monday morning.

That being said I'm very much a leave in the morning and out all day/night kinda guy, so wasn't interested in camping nearby anything as was never planning on returning to camp until I was turning in for the night/morning.

My friend and I are both coming from California - does that count as "alone"? Haha. We won't know anyone and are open to making friends!

Hi! Please bring some sun. Making friends starts in the queue getting there, then setting up tents or campervans, and continues with standing next to people in crowds, shows, food queues, etc.

There will be an 'eFestivals' meet, where anyone (well, only because we're the ones who get to hear about it, it's not a closed event) from these forums can meet up for a drink at one of the bars onsite on the Wednesday evening. OK, so there's an element of 'knowing' people from posts here and having met at earlier Glastonburys, but you will also have a chance to mingle with the loads of eFestival people who circle the meeting place yet don't go in, due to nerves and shyness (like me, 2 years ago). Those who plan this one welcome everyone and there's no clique I've come across. More news from them nearer the time. There are other threads and other meets planned, by all means go along!

Please tell me you're not Donald Trump though.

• 2 weeks later...

2016 will be my second time at glasto ( first was in 2014 ), this time I'm going solo and definitely up for camping in a group of other soloists .had a campervan the first time but going for the good old tent next year. Will be driving down from Cumbria so may even be able to car share if any ones interested. 

• 2 weeks later...

32yr old female considering going solo to what would be my 4th Glasto in a row. Having been several times I know what an amazing and special place it is so not sure I want to let my ticket go! Will keep an eye on this thread as i'd be interested in meeting up with other solo-Glastoers! :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 16 November 2015 at 10:15 PM, Gina-G said:

32yr old female considering going solo to what would be my 4th Glasto in a row. Having been several times I know what an amazing and special place it is so not sure I want to let my ticket go! Will keep an eye on this thread as i'd be interested in meeting up with other solo-Glastoers! :)

Do NOT let your ticket go, solo is cool, great fun and you meet some new people along the way, I was at Camp Solo this year and plan to do the same next year, come join us !

On 4 October 2015 at 5:57 PM, bethannny said:

Got mine today too guys! Happy to see you through as well.

Seems my ticket luck has continued for a second year - managed to get all of my group of 9(!)'s tickets this morning after failing for myself in the coach sale.

So in a surprise plot twist I'm not going to be part of the solo group this year! Found some friends last year that I'm going to be setting up camp with. I'm honestly a little gutted inside that I won't be part of the madness again!

Can we engineer a camp-solo social at some point??

Nooooo - You have the flag!!, Can't you just happen to camp near us?, wherever that may be, looking forward to catching up with Spindles and Fluff again, and definitely want to be part of Camp Solo for the 2nd year in 2016! Happy New Year Folks !

I'm going solo again this year and am happy to join up, but we have to be a bit careful John that Camp Solo doesn't become 'Camp Clique' as I think happened a few years ago when over a period of several Glastonburys everybody in camp knew each other apart from the new soloists who then felt excluded. 

Edited by tjamest

Totally agree, I'm sure people wouldn't mean to but it's inevitable that it would become a bit "cliquey" ( not sure that's an actual word haha ) . For me it's got to be people meeting up who don't know each other , apart from the odd chat on here of course

You don't have to worry about that.  Each year now a new group forms and mr eFests obliges with some group stuff to help them do so, this way it isn't the same core group each year and everyone is thrown in together.  This year was a raging success, some in the camp became firm friends and will probably return and camp together elsewhere next year, some kept themselves to themselves and just considered the camp somewhere where the neighbours were friendly and all sorts in between.

If you are going alone this year I'd heartily approve of joining such a group of campers, it was nice that whenever I was back at the tent there were friendly faces to chat with and I went off wandering and caught a few gigs with camp mates through the week, without any of the pressures of going with friends and family.  I've taken away some very fond memories and hope to catch up with some of them at the efests meet in '16.

I go to Glastonbury with friends and also on my own and to be honest, I prefer going on my own. I always get to know whoever I may be camped next too but I love the freedom of doing whatever I want to do, when I want to do it. I always get talking with others over the 5 days (even had the odd Glastonbury romance!) and you are never truly alone there but all in all, I am very happy going to Glastonbury on my own :)

On 30 December 2015 at 10:57 AM, YorkshireJohn said:

Nooooo - You have the flag!!, Can't you just happen to camp near us?, wherever that may be, looking forward to catching up with Spindles and Fluff again, and definitely want to be part of Camp Solo for the 2nd year in 2016! Happy New Year Folks !

I can definitely try! Wherever I am I'll pop in at some point to say hi :) 

I can always pass the flag on and let someone else improve it for next year (Han is looking pretty sorry for himself at the moment!)