Camping Alone? Join us

Scull99

Hi,

If you managed to get a ticket to Glastonbury and are planning on going on your own, please let me know. I camped on my own last year with other single campers and we would love any new solo campers to join us. Message below and ill be in contact.

Thank you

Steve

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello. I expect/hope to be invited back this year as I worked the festival in 2015. Several friends of mine try to go every year but unlike most of them I like spending a lot of time wandering about aimlessly and talking nonsense with strangers. I have to camp in the workers' field, but as most of my fellow volunteers are 20 years younger than me, I'd like to show my face at the solo camp.

4 hours ago, NorthernScum said:

Hello. I expect/hope to be invited back this year as I worked the festival in 2015. Several friends of mine try to go every year but unlike most of them I like spending a lot of time wandering about aimlessly and talking nonsense with strangers. I have to camp in the workers' field, but as most of my fellow volunteers are 20 years younger than me, I'd like to show my face at the solo camp.

I'd recommend the efests meet on the Wednesday evening also, was a fun evening last year and got to meet some good folk from round these parts.

On 06/01/2016 at 2:45 PM, Spindles said:

I'd recommend the efests meet on the Wednesday evening also, was a fun evening last year and got to meet some good folk from round these parts.

Jolly good, thanks. I have questions.

If I happen to be working Weds evening have I missed this particular boat?
How many people attend, approx?
Is there a broad mix of people?
Where does it happen?
Is the weather gonna be perfect? (;) I already know it is gonna be).

I believe that there has been a smaller offshoot one on the thursday as well in previous years, but this year was the first I attended so I'm no expert.

This year there were varying numbers throughout the evening, some were in for the long hall, others just passed by and said a quick hi to folks, but a couple of dozen or so at any given time it seemed to me.  It was a good mix, if slightly tilted to us middle aged folk in general and it was at the bar by avalon. 

Ok is this "the" thread then? Starting to look forward to it, lets get the rain out of the way early, we've had enough here in York!

Thought Darble was a good choice of field last year, loads of space even after the first day, useful if people aren't all getting there at the same time. Looking forward to meeting some new friends!

Cheers

J

8 minutes ago, AdamWillingham said:

I'm really not sure whether I want to go on my own? Anyone got any past experiences?

I haven't any past experience, but just wanted to say that rum & raisin is my favourite ice cream. Lemonade sparkles are an ace lollypop but beaten by a short head by cider pops, which are just in another world.

18 minutes ago, AdamWillingham said:

I'm really not sure whether I want to go on my own? Anyone got any past experiences?

Last year, my first Glastonbury, I went 'on my own', having made friends with people only through these 'boards. We'd arranged to meet for the very first time at the agreed camping location, and from that point onwards I had the best time you could possibly imagine, and I now have friends that I never want to lose.

I've also had brilliant times at Latitude and End of the Road on my own. Difference with Glastonbury is that, despite it's enormousness and so perhaps perceived impersonality, you're never alone. Meeting and chatting to randoms was as much fun as almost anything else.

Do it.

Ben

16 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Last year, my first Glastonbury, I went 'on my own', having made friends with people only through these 'boards. We'd arranged to meet for the very first time at the agreed camping location, and from that point onwards I had the best time you could possibly imagine, and I now have friends that I never want to lose.

I've also had brilliant times at Latitude and End of the Road on my own. Difference with Glastonbury is that, despite it's enormousness and so perhaps perceived impersonality, you're never alone. Meeting and chatting to randoms was as much fun as almost anything else.

Do it.

Ben

Do you not find that it gets very lonely? 

I'm not very good at making friends and talking to people and I usually end up just sticking to myself. 

I have been 3 times before with my girlfriend but we are no longer together so its either I go on my own or not at all. 

2 minutes ago, AdamWillingham said:

Do you not find that it gets very lonely? 

I'm not very good at making friends and talking to people and I usually end up just sticking to myself. 

I have been 3 times before with my girlfriend but we are no longer together so its either I go on my own or not at all. 

I've had longer periods of being a little bit isolated at Latitude, but still OK, as I plan my festivals so carefully that I am always busy. The slightly more difficult times for me have been the night time as I am a dance junkie and doing that very much on your own can be a bit lonely - however, a brilliant DJ and getting off your head can temper that.

For Glastonbury, I spent so long 'talking' to people on here that I felt I knew people pretty well, and so breaking the ice and being with completely new people was so much easier. If you want to go, and are planning on camping with the solo gang, I suggest you read lots on here, get a feel for who seems nice in the solo group, strike up a bit of a dialogue and go from there. I ended up spending So much time with other people that I hadn't known 1-2 days before! Numbers exchanged, texting each other to find where we werer at nihgt, what were we up to? Did we want to meet up? And I am not disimilar to you in being, at least intially, not the greatest at feeling confident in the company of people I don't know. Hey, if it helps, you could always PM me and I can arrange to meet you at some point! The eFests meet on the Wednesday seems incredibly daunting to 'people like yo uand me', but was REALLY great. Everyone was lovely and I felt part of the GF family immediately.

:o)

Ben