Secret resales 2015

Terence99

I don't know about this sort of stuff, but the sessions last 10 mins. Is it possible to issue a session ID without actually starting the session, if you know what I mean. If not it would mean that if you're not successful in the first 10 minutes a new ID would have to be issued. I've no idea what implications this might have.

Just asking. :)

The first time you visit any of the glastonbury.seetickets.com pages your are given a session id which is stored in your browser as a cookie and is removed when you close the browser. This is used to track you during the "session".

When a system such as this has a high load everyone is directed to a holding page that is a lightweight (in size) page that is cached on the server and very quick to return to the browser - thus using minimum amount of resources under load and preventing servers crashing.

Now the more complicated purchasing pages are restricted to probably a few thousand at a time and this will be allocated by session id (I know this because if you get to a purchasing page on one tab it will appear on refresh on another tab in the browser and the only way both tabs can tell the server who you are is the session id).

How the session id's are granted access it is impossible to know for sure but they refer to a queue in the holding page so I would guess they log the session id's in order of creation and serve access on a first come first serve basis - so the earlier you register your session after the go-live date the better.

& we should probably note that until the "go live" time there really isn't any point in holding a page open as all session id's are reset so it's fair. It's not like you can start your "session" before the start time and be ahead in any queue. If anything you'd be better off clearing cookies/cache, closing & reopening the browser & not even visiting the page until the second it's started so you get an actual working session id from the off

• Upvote 1

& we should probably note that until the "go live" time there really isn't any point in holding a page open as all session id's are reset so it's fair. It's not like you can start your "session" before the start time and be ahead in any queue. If anything you'd be better off clearing cookies/cache, closing & reopening the browser & not even visiting the page until the second it's started so you get an actual working session id from the off

I imagine for simplicity's sake the access list is maintained independently of the session list when you consider the system behind is not solely designed for these sales alone. So already having a session id is neither a hindrance or an advantage.

Unless it is designed by muppets of course. :)

I see got a lot of people giving there opinions on ticket sales since I mentioned about seetickets maybe not doing it next year it's good to have opinions I myself think a major issue was if you put someone's details in and they already have a ticket you can't change it instead you get booted out of the line

• Upvote 1

Damn. Have been sat on the addreg page for days with my details all completed.

A rethink is required I guess...

Edited by ollyrag

I see got a lot of people giving there opinions on ticket sales since I mentioned about seetickets maybe not doing it next year it's good to have opinions I myself think a major issue was if you put someone's details in and they already have a ticket you can't change it instead you get booted out of the line

Agree. Infuriating! It's also difficult to keep track of who's got a ticket when you're all in different places and different people have various friends trying for them.

But surely in an ideal fair world every person has one chance rather than some people having multiple chances because they are buying in a group? Otherwise you are at a disadvantage if you are buying on your own.

Group buying should be all or nothing IMO

I got through in the coach resale this year, and quickly typed my details in before posting in my group chat that I was through, to make sure they didn't sell out before I got them.

Then I got a message from my friend saying he was through but it wasn't allowing him to buy tickets (because I was through with the same reg. numbers).

In the end we had one friend who didn't get a ticket, but my friend above would have been able to get him one if he hadn't been trying mine and his reg. numbers.

If we had a 5/10 minute window to put in our payment details, where your tickets are reserved, I'd have posted instantly in the group chat that I was through, and this guy would then have tried for my ticket-less friend and been successful.

It would also prevent people rushing and making typos, etc.

I got through in the coach resale this year, and quickly typed my details in before posting in my group chat that I was through, to make sure they didn't sell out before I got them.

Then I got a message from my friend saying he was through but it wasn't allowing him to buy tickets (because I was through with the same reg. numbers).

In the end we had one friend who didn't get a ticket, but my friend above would have been able to get him one if he hadn't been trying mine and his reg. numbers.

If we had a 5/10 minute window to put in our payment details, where your tickets are reserved, I'd have posted instantly in the group chat that I was through, and this guy would then have tried for my ticket-less friend and been successful.

It would also prevent people rushing and making typos, etc.

Ouch! That's gotta hurt

Also, make returning/exchanging tickets after early May a possibility. It's still well over a month before the festival and people do have genuine, non-insurable reasons for not going, and there are still a lot of people desperate for tickets. Surely with the registration details it should be easy. I've heard of a couple of festivals that do it. Face value or less obviously, no touting.

Also, make returning/exchanging tickets after early May a possibility. It's still well over a month before the festival and people do have genuine, non-insurable reasons for not going, and there are still a lot of people desperate for tickets. Surely with the registration details it should be easy. I've heard of a couple of festivals that do it. Face value or less obviously, no touting.

How do you enforce no-touting in ticket exchanges? Even if the transaction is managed by See there is no way they can prevent additional money changing hands outside that system, also if See were managing the transactions it would come at a cost.

There has to be a point of no return somewhere, considering the logisitics of managing the ticket printing, returns and resales II doubt it can be pushed much later than it is.

But surely in an ideal fair world every person has one chance rather than some people having multiple chances because they are buying in a group? Otherwise you are at a disadvantage if you are buying on your own.

Group buying should be all or nothing IMO

In the current system say 5 people don't get tickets because 1 person already had them and didn't get the message through in time. Group buying isn't necessarily clear cut - what if you've got different groups of people trying for you? (Eg family, work mates, other friends...). I see what you mean about advantaging groups, but even if you're going on your own you can still get friends involved on sales day in exchange for a pint. With the system the way it is people will do anything to increase their chances of getting a ticket, and having multiple people trying for them is the most obvious way.

How do you enforce no-touting in ticket exchanges? Even if the transaction is managed by See there is no way they can prevent additional money changing hands outside that system, also if See were managing the transactions it would come at a cost.

There has to be a point of no return somewhere, considering the logisitics of managing the ticket printing, returns and resales II doubt it can be pushed much later than it is.

I can't remember which festival it was, possibly isle of Wight... But I'm sure last year one festival had a safe exchange of tickets available. Not sure how it worked.

There are a few ways to do it though -more little resales (maybe at e.g. 10am every Monday the returned tickets go on sale); a waiting list; tickets go on sale as they are returned... If you're super late to the party you could pick your ticket up at a gate on the day. Assuming tickets have bar codes if a physical ticket has already been sent to a person who is selling then you just make sure that person's ticket is void (which gives people more reason not to trust out of the system resales as the ticket might be void)....

In the current system say 5 people don't get tickets because 1 person already had them and didn't get the message through in time. Group buying isn't necessarily clear cut - what if you've got different groups of people trying for you? (Eg family, work mates, other friends...). I see what you mean about advantaging groups, but even if you're going on your own you can still get friends involved on sales day in exchange for a pint. With the system the way it is people will do anything to increase their chances of getting a ticket, and having multiple people trying for them is the most obvious way.

Only people you give you details to can buy a ticket for you so by giving your details to multiple groups you are trying to increase your advantage. In fairness terms this is unfair to the average punter who tries to do the normal thing and purchase and have one go / one chance. I understand that people will always try to maximise their chances and I do the same but if the intention is to make the system "fair" rather than optimised for organised people then preventing multi-purchase attempts by different members of the same group makes sense.

Taken to the extreme without that in place I could setup a service where punters give me their reg info and I charge a premium fee of £10 per ticket I secure for people and have an army of F5ers earning £5 per successful transaction, each taking the details off of my central database of registered punters and using various tech methods to optimise the transactions. Could be a nice little earner but not very fair to everyone else :)

Only people you give you details to can buy a ticket for you so by giving your details to multiple groups you are trying to increase your advantage. In fairness terms this is unfair to the average punter who tries to do the normal thing and purchase and have one go / one chance. I understand that people will always try to maximise their chances and I do the same but if the intention is to make the system "fair" rather than optimised for organised people then preventing multi-purchase attempts by different members of the same group makes sense.

Taken to the extreme without that in place I could setup a service where punters give me their reg info and I charge a premium fee of £10 per ticket I secure for people and have an army of F5ers earning £5 per successful transaction, each taking the details off of my central database of registered punters and using various tech methods to optimise the transactions. Could be a nice little earner but not very fair to everyone else :)

I definitely see your point, but you are not going to stop people trying to buy in groups (not sure I trust your army of F5ers anyway ;) )

Why not have it so that if someone's reg already has a ticket then you proceed to pay without that person. It's up to you if you want to go back and chance it for another friend in their place.