Camping -Experience of Lower mead or Webbs Ash?

mrfinn

Hey all,

My partner and I are thinking of finding a new place to camp this year after spending the previous few years at Pylon field. Its a good field, a bit out of the way, fairly quiet, but it just lacks a bit of character. We would like to be a bit further into the action but able to still get some peace for a few hours kip.

We do a bit of everything, generally go with the flow, so there is no particular area we need access to. We did look at Oxylers as its pretty central but heard that it a bit of a party capital in there and although we like a good time, its more scaled down than it was in our 20's so that might not be the best idea!

We are looking at Lower Mead or Webbs ash. They both seem to be near to the action without being too far in. Looking for experience from anyone who has camped in either of those areas to give us some advice?

Cheers!

Finn

Cheers mate,

I am quite tempted by Webbs ash, looking at Glasto earth though, the toilets do worry me, they will be hectic there being right by the pyramid. But , higher up on Webbs, by the cafe as you suggest, could be a good option.

I really do fancy a change, its just such a worry taking a risk...maybe I am getting too set in my glasto ways!

Thanks for your response mate

Hi,

I have camped at Webbs ash for the last 6 festivals and it's a brilliant location.

Like was said above you the toilets at the cafe or walk around the path by them toilets and there is some more that are always really quiet and quite nice even on Sunday.

The main noise I find is the Cafe as they play music all night.

Thanks mate,

If we were going to camp there, it would have to be the top, I know how bad the loos at the bottom get and I wouldnt want to have to use those in the middle of the night or first thing in the morning before cleaning! I think that the glasto earth map may be missing some of the toilet locations around that top section of Webbs Ash, its good to know that there are more there, thank you for that info.

It could throw a spanner in the works though if the cafe is noisy all night...... the one thing we did like about Pylon field is that although there is still noise, its not bad enough to disturb sleep.

Has anyone got any experience of Lower Mead? Our worry with that is that the John Peel fallout might make that area a bit cramped. Looking at the map we are thinking that The top section of Lower Mead that borders Woodsies might be a good option?

Thanks mate,

Has anyone got any experience of Lower Mead? Our worry with that is that the John Peel fallout might make that area a bit cramped. Looking at the map we are thinking that The top section of Lower Mead that borders Woodsies might be a good option?

It's a god spot and there are some decent quietism long drops a few mins walk across the top of webbs ash.

That path is very busy as a thoroughfare home from dance village!!

I've only ever camped at the top of Webbs Ash and have no complaints about it. As people have said, there's toilets near the cafe that you can use rather than the ones at the foot of the hill. Another good point is that there's a lock up right next to the cafe - so you can store all your valuables within a short distance of your tent pitch. Do head for the top of the hill - because it's not much fun at the bottom of that hill if the weather's bad.

Oh one more thing - there's a steward caravan in that area with a security watch tower next to it. If you can pitch your tent close to that then you may improve your chances of not getting your tent robbed of any stuff.

I can't recall the sound from the Beat Hotel disturbing me, but then again I tend to pass out as oppossed to going to sleep.

Thanks all,

It does seem that Webbs Ash is popular! Though it would still be good to hear from anyone who has experience of Lower mead?

@stuwilky - I gather you mean the path through Lower mead? Thats a good point, I think in that respect we would be better off in Webbs Ash, as there wont be as much throughfare, at least at the top anyway.

@yogurtonastick good point about the steward caravan, we have been blessed so far...nothing nicked, but it cant hurt to have extra security...

I am now leaning towards Webbs Ash, along the hedge just underneath the cafe looks like it could be good? is the cafe really noisy at night like people have said?

Bottom webbs ash is great have done at least the last 6 festivals there , Beat Hotel goes on till 3 and can be quite loud , but nothing a few extra ciders wont sort , toilets can get busy but never seem to be massive queues . only one slight flooding incident when we had to move one tent that was pitched in a dip , the wildlife reserve just about it seems to absorb most of the rain runoff if it rains . Quite a few workers from Walls Ice cream vans have camped there in the last few years , dont go to close to the little wire fence as people seem to like to use this as a toilet . But otherewise its great . If you see someone with a crazy flashing suit , thats me so say hello :)

In my case I've only ever known it as Webbs Ash. I haven't got a clue what it's called now. That would involve looking at a relatively current map. That's not an area I want to go down - I really don't care what I stumble across.

Its still called Webbs Ash - they just dont put all the names on the map on the website, they all appear on the more detailed one, if anyone can be arsed looking!

Hey all,

My partner and I are thinking of finding a new place to camp this year after spending the previous few years at Pylon field. Its a good field, a bit out of the way, fairly quiet, but it just lacks a bit of character. We would like to be a bit further into the action but able to still get some peace for a few hours kip.

We do a bit of everything, generally go with the flow, so there is no particular area we need access to. We did look at Oxylers as its pretty central but heard that it a bit of a party capital in there and although we like a good time, its more scaled down than it was in our 20's so that might not be the best idea!

We are looking at Lower Mead or Webbs ash. They both seem to be near to the action without being too far in. Looking for experience from anyone who has camped in either of those areas to give us some advice?

Cheers!

Finn

We've always camped in webbs ash and never had a problem. I dont find the noise a problem either its a nice soundtrack to go to sleep to

Its still called Webbs Ash - they just dont put all the names on the map on the website, they all appear on the more detailed one, if anyone can be arsed looking!

Yup!

And I only look at the map for campsite info, in this case switching things up this year by having a change of field. We are decided on Webbs Ash, it is a bit more of a trek from gate A, but not that much further than our usual haunt (Pylon).

:D

• 7 years later...