Pukkelpop 2015

SoLoCo

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Few surprises on there. Sigma and Jurassic 5 playing the main, Interpol and Paolo playing the Marquee. Thought they'd put Tyler the Creator on a bigger stage than the club as well.

Fridays the worst main stage line up of any Pukkelpop ever, and Saturdays not far behind it.

Friday, main stage is pretty dire. The organisation MUST know that. That aside, there's loads I want to see.

Pretty sure that, with a bit of effort, you could re jig Friday and make it appear better. E.g. Move Major Lazer to headline, Ellie Goulding post headline, Gaslight Anthem to Main Stage, Bastille to headline Marquee and move Parov Stellar down a slot.

Edited by TheNewUnion

Fridays the worst main stage line up of any Pukkelpop ever, and Saturdays not far behind it.

Perfect excuse not to go there then - easily my least favourite stage!

As always, a few surprises with the splits - Jurassic 5 and Sigma were also the main two that jumped out but will give them both a look. Roots Manuva in the Castello on Thursday will be quality and I sincerely hope Rebel Sound and Future Islands don't clash (got a feeling The Club is the wrong choice for FI though, should have been in the Marquee). Looking forward to rounding off the day with Machinedrum in the Castello.

Nice little run in the Marquee on Friday with All Tvvins (my biggest find so far), Radkey and Mini Mansions. It's all about Len Faki and Adam Beyer late on though, although Karenn, John Talbot and Daniel Avery b2b Erol Alkan will be superb in the Castello.

Saturday looks like clash central all over the place but Slaves in the Marquee will definitely be a moment. Dance Hall is really strong from Charli XCX onwards and the last three in the Castello are amazing too. Bit disappointed Dusky are in the Boiler but will still be great. Not sure where Ride will fit into the equation - have to work that out once we get the timetable.

Thanks for the info on that news clip Dietediet. Wonder if all the stages will be new as those structures seem much bigger than the old Club and Wablief? tents?

Another lukewarm Alt-J review. Poor choice for closing headliners imo

Netsky will be the real headliner on Saturday, and the atmosphere for that will be superb. Hoping there won't be a complete clash between him and Underworld (who are my real headliner!).

Been doing a bit of digging and am loving what I've heard from All Tvvins. Getting well into Cardiknox, The Districts, Manchester Orchestra, Ho99o9, Gengahr and Curtis Harding too. If anyone has other 'discoveries' then let me know?

Found my schedules from last year and been trying to compare numbers on each stage to get an idea of potential clashes. The Boiler's pretty easy to work out but the rest are tricky. There's only 7 bands on the Main on Saturday but, aside from Radio Soulwax, the line up is now complete so that must be all we're getting.

Netsky will be the real headliner on Saturday, and the atmosphere for that will be superb. Hoping there won't be a complete clash between him and Underworld (who are my real headliner!).

Been doing a bit of digging and am loving what I've heard from All Tvvins. Getting well into Cardiknox, The Districts, Manchester Orchestra, Ho99o9, Gengahr and Curtis Harding too. If anyone has other 'discoveries' then let me know?

Found my schedules from last year and been trying to compare numbers on each stage to get an idea of potential clashes. The Boiler's pretty easy to work out but the rest are tricky. There's only 7 bands on the Main on Saturday but, aside from Radio Soulwax, the line up is now complete so that must be all we're getting.

Absolutely loving Curtis Harding. Cardinox too. I assume you're already familiar with Father John Misty (brilliant). Saw Charles Bradley at Glastonbury last year, if you like the old "super soul review" type of thing, he's brilliant.

Been listening to a bit of Father John Misty and will definitely give him a look if clashes permit. Watched Charles Bradley on the live stream in 2012 and he always puts on a great show. One of those acts where you don't really need to know any of the songs as they all sound great.

I'm not into any of them but the latter part of the Marquee line up on Thursday is strong - George Ezra, Interpol and Paolo Nutini are Main Stage at most other festivals this summer. Would personally prefer it if they swapped places with Seasick, Sigma and Jurassic 5 but I don't mind the odd trip to the Main during the day, particularly if it's sunny!

Still contemplating to go on Saturday, there's plenty of great small/mid sized bands around to keep me busy all day long (probably including some terrible clashes). The only thing stopping me is the 100 euros for a day ticket, which is the same as a full weekend of Best Kept Secret/Pitchfork Paris, both containing even more great mid sized bands. 

And continuing on that note: the hype around Dour is currently going through the roof, and Flemish attention for Les Ardentes was on a new high earlier this month (both festivals are in the French part of Belgium). It's a very premature conclusion, but I have the feeling Pukkelpop killed its 'great value for little money' image this year and people are flocking to other festivals. 

Still contemplating to go on Saturday, there's plenty of great small/mid sized bands around to keep me busy all day long (probably including some terrible clashes). The only thing stopping me is the 100 euros for a day ticket, which is the same as a full weekend of Best Kept Secret/Pitchfork Paris, both containing even more great mid sized bands.

And continuing on that note: the hype around Dour is currently going through the roof, and Flemish attention for Les Ardentes was on a new high earlier this month (both festivals are in the French part of Belgium). It's a very premature conclusion, but I have the feeling Pukkelpop killed its 'great value for little money' image this year and people are flocking to other festivals.

Pukkelpop also killed part of its international prestige This year. There Is a forum for Spanish people who live abroad and share impressions and organize meetings in European festivals. Every year 20/25 spanish people from that forum attend Pukkelpop and this year nobody will attend It and several wrote impressions in Facebook and their comments were deleted so people have promised themselves not to go again to Pukkelpop. 4 weeks to go and you can find combitickets and day tickets even for thursday. Lot of people have changed their summer festival in 2015 (me included). Pukkelpop nowadays is One Of the worst value For money festivals in Europe and people Is not stupid. Who can pay 100€ For a Friday ticket to see this catastrophic line-up?? For discovering new talent there are cheaper festivals all over The world.

Edited by johnybegood

Oof, Mastodon have cancelled all upcoming shows.

Big loss for the Shelter.

If they've cancelled all shows, then it can't be helped. But I maintain that Pukkelpop ends up with more than its fair share of cancellations each year. I would very much doubt they'd get a replacement either (given current booking performances).

Shame really. I'm not a fan of theirs but they were certainly a "name" booking and there was lots of interest in them from all the metal heads I know telling me "You need to go and watch Mastadon"

Oof, Mastodon have cancelled all upcoming shows.

Big loss for the Shelter.

This is a bummer, as I was very much looking forward to seeing Mastodon. But hopefully this will be one less tough decision that I'll have to make regarding schedule conflicts.

On review, it's insane how much I want to see on the Thursday. Even if I just alternate Main and Club I'd easily get the value out of my ticket.

Edited to add provisional list for Thursday. Ridiculous, Will have to choose carefully. Might have to miss everyone I've seen before at this rate

The List:

Rudimental

Linkin Park

Dropkick Murphys

Jurassic 5

Seasick Steve

PAOLO NUTINI

Interpol

Charles Bradley

MICHAEL KIWANUKA

KODALINE

Django Django

Future Islands

Lianne La Havas

Strand Of Oaks

Mew

Curtis Harding

Natalie Prass

Cardinox

Roots Manuva

Prhyme

Edited by TheNewUnion

On review, it's insane how much I want to see on the Thursday. Even if I just alternate Main and Club I'd easily get the value out of my ticket.

You need to follow a triangular route from Main - Special Beers tent - Club - back to Main and then repeat!

I've been looking at the running order and can see loads of potential clashes across all three days. I hope the final timetable is kind but there will no doubt be some difficult decisions to make. Still intrigued to know what they have in store for the pre-party with Radio Soulwax? The group I go with have a pretty set routine for Wednesday night (meal, pre-party and then beers at the little bar on the corner) which I love but, if the line up is good, the temptation to stay on site and go for it will be very strong.

Not sure what people have planned in terms of currency but I ordered a Halifax Clarity credit card today. I read about it on Martin's money matters and it basically gives you the best rates for international purchases and there's no fee for withdrawing cash either. I went to Tesco today and they're giving 1.39 but this is 1.43. The key is to pay off the entire balance as soon as you can, so not to incure any interest charges. Rather than change money up before I leave, I'll just withdraw what I need over there and then pay the balance off when I get home. They say to allow a couple of weeks for it to arrive so there should still be plenty of time to sort one out.

I've got a spare room at the YUP if anyone needs it? The friends I go with managed to get a late booking at the Holiday Inn Express (our usual hotel) so don't need this one any more. It's a double room without breakfast and the current rate for 4 nights (Weds 19th - Sun 23rd: check out 12pm Sun) is £176.89. I don't think there's any kind of fee for changing names but I'll look into it if anyone is interested. I can cancel for free up to the day I arrive so I'm not stuck with it or anyhting.