Would Kanye at Glastonbury work?

mattgimmeshelter

Would Kanye get Glastonbury though - most headliners know that it's not all about them and they are part of a much bigger experience for everyone, that Glastonbury is the actual star of the show, not them.

I think Kanye would think it was Kanye west feat glastonbury, not the other way around

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would Kanye get Glastonbury though - most headliners know that it's not all about them and they are part of a much bigger experience for everyone, that Glastonbury is the actual star of the show, not them.

I think Kanye would think it was Kanye west feat glastonbury, not the other way around

Do they? How do you know that? I'm always deeply suspicious of this line of thinking.

Do they? How do you know that? I'm always deeply suspicious of this line of thinking.

Ok let's put it this way for the doubters out there like yourself. A lot of the headliners say the right things on stage to endear themselves to the crowd and festival, there's a damn good chance Kanye wouldn't

Ok let's put it this way for the doubters out there like yourself. A lot of the headliners say the right things on stage to endear themselves to the crowd and festival, there's a damn good chance Kanye wouldn't

It'd be quite nice not to have that cliché used for once. I'm sure the scale and history of the place is humbling to many performers, but I find it hard to believe everyone who says the right thing really believes it.

I'm not saying Win Butler hadn't been won over, but at the time of their headlining slot I wasn't entirely convinced of Arcade Fire's professed love for the festival, given what they said last time they played.

So it would be good for someone to definitely not pretend, even if that's because they don't say anything nice at all!

Edited by stuartbert two hats

Kanye's problem is that he's fighting his own reputation. All performers need to win the crowd over, but Kanye would need to go beyond the usual charm offensive and make a proper effort to endear himself. I've found Glastonbury can be a truly magical place when there's a connection between artist and crowd, and the crowd always yearn for that, but they won't be bullshitted either.

I know she's not musician of the century, but Beyonce really got the balance right. She brought the razzmatazz, no question, but it was also clearly a special event for her and she came across as quite humble and genuine despite throwing all she had at the performance. Same with her husband, who connected properly as well.

I just can't imagine Kanye connecting in that way. That's fine - he doesn't have to, and I'd enjoy his set regardless, but he won't inhabit that magical zone of synergy between those on the ground and those on the stage, and he'd destroy it completely if he tried preaching at the audience. He'd be there as a result of his effort, and we'd be there in appreciation, so more recognition and less preaching would be his best approach. I fear he'd get short shrift approaching it any other way.

What does it matter if Kanye gives a hoot about Glastonbury? It's not the be all and end all.

You're right it's not, but it always improves things if whoever it is has some idea of the specific atmosphere at Glastonbury, rather than phoning in some generic performance you could see anywhere.

You're right it's not, but it always improves things if whoever it is has some idea of the specific atmosphere at Glastonbury, rather than phoning in some generic performance you could see anywhere.

That's true of any gig, it'd be nice if he did decide to love Glastonbury and make it the best show ever But he wont, and that's okay, it shouldn't stand in the way of him headlining.

i think this is a key point as to why Kanye would be a great headliner - Jay Z and Eminem (probably the only two other rappers who could headline the festival) have both entered their 'greatest hits' phase (i.e. turned to shit and relying on past glories, releasing sequels to decade old albums etc) whereas Kanye is still pushing forward. like him or not, you definitely can't say what he's doing musically is boring

Bound 2....

Bound 2 is an amazing song. was the song that immediately jumped out at me from my first listen of Yeezus. i can see why people would dislike it (especially people who already dislike Kanye) because of the plainspoken verses and vulgar lyrics etc, but it really is brilliant

Yeah you can tell Kanye is writing the lyrics on Yeezus. ;)

I think I am starting to understand why Kanye thinks of himself as a God...

Even super Catholics are not as devoted!

yeah to be fair, he's probably the one act who i'd consider myself a 'super fan' of, but i genuinely do love all (well, most. he has of course released some duds, most of which are on 808's) of his work, but i 100% get why people would think the total opposite and hate him (a lot of the time for the exact reason that i love him)

You really think so? 808s is probably my 2nd or 3rd favourite Kanye album...

I'd probably say; Yeezus - 808s/WTT - MBDTF - Graduation - LR - TCD

If you wanna throw in Cruel Summer, it'd go just before MBDTF

ah i forgot about Cruel Summer. that's the worst (mostly because it's not a Kanye album)

your ordering is just bizarre. Late Registration and The College Dropout LAST!?

808's and Watch The Throne BEFORE My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy?!

CRUEL SUMMER BEFORE MY BEAUTIFUL DARK TWISTED FANTASY!?

no no no