Flags

Guest Keef

I have never felt the need to carry a flag of any description but each to thier own.. If one blocks my view I normally find my feet move it good enough syncronisation to allow me to move somewhere where I can see.. If not I cant be arsed anyway and in most instances I am so far back from stage I cant see performers anyway..If it is from a point of view from a TV viewer, tough shit,,

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There were slightly fewer flags this year but still a lot and, as ever, heavily concentrated in the relatively small area between the stage and the main TV cameras (which says it all about the main reason for taking one, as far as I'm concerned)

• 2 weeks later...

I have never felt the need to carry a flag of any description but each to thier own.. If one blocks my view I normally find my feet move it good enough syncronisation to allow me to move somewhere where I can see.. If not I cant be arsed anyway and in most instances I am so far back from stage I cant see performers anyway..If it is from a point of view from a TV viewer, tough shit,,

Edited by Staff_Sav

Flags are good to help you find someone/group in a crowd. Then LOWER THEM so they are not a pain to others please.

In the front pit at Dolly the chap next to us had to lower his as it got tangled - so he proceeded to sort it out by holding it right in front of my wife's face - he was asked nicely not to and ignored us!

Umbrellas!!!!!!!

I don't lime to swear so will not say anything about them!

Edited by mattyc1965

There was one at the Other Stage on Friday which consisted of a pole of about 8 to 10 metres with TWO huge flags of about 2m x 1m, stood between the sound desk and stage. One was just a single plain colour, the other equally dull. With the wind blowing across they were unfurled to become perfect rectangles obscuring practically the whole stage for a few thousand people.

So it wasn't to guide people back as a single (and smaller) flag would do just as well for that; it wasn't some witty slogan or anything the bands could be amused by; which leaves the only explanation - the holder is a sad, attention-seeking, selfish git screaming 'look at me - I've got two huge flags!!'

Oh, and it wasn't possible to step either way, as it was packed and would have needed a move of 30 metres or more to be able to see the stage.

The whole "they're good 'coz my mates/kids can find me in a crowd" argument is utter bollocks.

I was taught to triangulate on a crowded beach in order to find our group at a pre school age ffs. "We're level with that and that. That's how you find your way back".

I blame the parents

I personally thought there was more flags. Don't have a real issue with a small flag on loooonnnngggg flagpole bit that tw@t with the two HUGE mexican flags cropped up everywhere and always in my line of site (and thousands of others) better positioning of cameras made it look like a lot less flags were there

The whole "they're good 'coz my mates/kids can find me in a crowd" argument is utter bollocks.

I was taught to triangulate on a crowded beach in order to find our group at a pre school age ffs. "We're level with that and that. That's how you find your way back".

I blame the parents

I must admit I never notice all this stuff. I must go around with my head stuck in the sand or perhaps it's cos I'm off my nut quite a bit I'm not sure.

I suppose I tend to stand back at the main stages and couldn't really give a shit whether or not I see some dot on the horizon that is the performer I am viewing on the main stage...

I just tend to soak up the atmosphere and crack on, so Umbrellas and Flags are just kind of part of the overall general stuff that is happening.

The flags tend to be useful for navigational purposes and I've always found umbrellas are great for keeping the rain off, particularly as there isn't a waterproof coat on the planet that is actually really waterproof. I'd be annoyed if someone tried to take my eye out with their umbrella mind, but most don't, they just keep dry and partially block my view of the flag in front.

I think the worst thing seems to be all the other people generally...They just don't seem to be a carbon copy of me.

The flags tend to be useful for navigational purposes and I've always found umbrellas are great for keeping the rain off, particularly as there isn't a waterproof coat on the planet that is actually really waterproof. I'd be annoyed if someone tried to take my eye out with their umbrella mind, but most don't, they just keep dry and get the people next to them even wetter and partially block my view of the flag in front.

I hope the lack of flags has been down to the weather, and that this fine tradition keeps pace. Get going people, represent!

Edited by jamiejc