Rate The Debut Albums Of Your Ten Favourite Bands

Guest mrtourette

Queens of the Stone Age- Queens of the Stone Age (7/10)

Muse- Showbiz (9/10)

Biffy Clyro- Blackened Sky (8/10)

Nine Inch Nails- Pretty Hate Machine (6/10)

Blur- Leisure (6/10)

Frank Turner- Sleep is for the Week (8/10)

Green Day- 39/Smooth (5/10)

Deftones- Adrenaline (7/10)

Manchester Orchestra- Like a Virgin Losing a Child (10/10)

The Joy Formidable- The Big Roar (9/10)

Honourable Mentions to Arcade Fire for Funeral which is near-perfect, I just can't rank them in my top 10 yet as I don't know/haven't listened to enough of their stuff yet to warrant it.

Edited by Spud001

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it does. If you give something a 10 that's perfect marks, implying that the thing you're rating is perfect. If something you think is better appears it would follow that it deserves more than a 10, and that what you rated a 10 wasn't in fact perfect. Acknowledging that something can be beaten whilst also giving it perfect marks is a pretty obvious contradiction. A couple of pages back Will ranked his favourite Radiohead albums but gave three of them the same perfect score. Does that make sense?

Alternatively we could just admit that we have dissimilar rating systems :P

No, it's not perfect marks, you're just saying that on a 10-point rating system it warrants a 10. 9 doesn't mean 9-9.999999999999 and everything that has any slight flaw. It means the 8.5-9.4 range. Top marks doesn't equal perfect, it just means that the top mark is the best way of representing it using the range of marks available.

So your defence for giving something 10 is that it doesn't actually mean 10 it just means it's closer to a 10 then a 9? Yeah I get that it's a simplified system, what I'm saying is that I think that simplified system is rubbish because it doesn't allow me to say when something actually is a 10 if I want to (and by the way yellow fellow if you're saying that music analysis isn't quantifiable or numerical then why are you giving albums numerical judgments in the first place. Surely not only a 10 rating suffers from analysis not being quantifiable but ratings by definition? I like unhappy face ok face and happy face better :P) or to be consistent with itself, and being consistent with oneself is the only thing a rating system needs to be. Plainly my 7 isn't going to be the same as your 7. Which is fine because as long as my 7 is a 7 relative to my 6 it doesn't really matter. But if my 7s arent consistent with each other because they just mean about a 7 (so two albums I give 7 might actually be 6.5 and 7.4) then the rating basically becomes meaningless and oversimplified because you can't tell what any number is actually trying to say. Maybe by your rating you mean a 10 to mean anything from 9.5-10 but then you're not really giving 10s are you. I prefer not to give anything a 10 so I can express a true 10 if I want to. So saying that a 10 doesn't mean it can't ever be beaten because a 10 doesn't actually mean 10 is a bit stupid

and by the way yellow fellow if you're saying that music analysis isn't quantifiable or numerical then why are you giving albums numerical judgments in the first place. Surely not only a 10 rating suffers from analysis not being quantifiable but ratings by definition? I like unhappy face ok face and happy face better :P

1. Hawkwind - the classic line-up at full wig out, delivering classic advice for a tripped out youth, and some warp music to get lost in at full throttle. From the refrain of 'Hurry on Sundown' still an anthem to get ready for a night out, through 'The Reason Is?' to the core standing stones of 'Be Yourself', and 'Paranoia' you knew these guys had travelled the same less busy tracks of life. After a quick spliff it was time to flip the album for more Paranoia before 'Seeing It as You Really Are', and remembering Stacia's dancing to 'Mirror of Illusion' the bonus CD follows it through with 'Sweet Mistress Of Pain'. Wrapped in that lizard skin of Arthur Rhodes, it's just missing a bit of Moorcock, but the group are fully formed with Brock, Turner, Huw Lloyd-Langton, Ollis, Harrison (before Lemmy), and Dik Mik (Michael Davies) - an album which reveals all they are, and probably one of their best 10/10 Not quite 'Hall of The Mountain Grill' but a stunning debut.

2. Erpsongs - that band that delivered some kind of mass organic euphoric sweaty dread groove you saw at that festival suddenly had a cassette you could listen to. A basic DIY looking cover looked inoccuous enough til you slid it into the tape deck in the kitchen at parties and suddenly the corners of the room would smooth out to 'Velmwend' and people would be asking if they could get a copy by the time 'Spiralminds' got people cooking the hot knives up! From then on it's a mind shift through 'Dharma Reggae' and the hallmark 'Erpriff' before 'Five Jam' maps out their whole sound, and you wake up behind the telly aat 'Oddhamshaw' wondering how did they do that? It's a thing of wonder. 10/10

Manic Street Preachers - Generation Terrorists - 8/10

The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses - 10/10

Smashing Pumpkins - Gish - 8/10

Pulp - It - 4/10

Pixies - Surfer Rosa - 9/10

The Smiths - The Smiths - 10/10

The Clash - The Clash - 7/10

Radiohead - Pablo Honey - 7/10

The Libertines - Up The Bracket - 10/10

Nirvana - Bleach - 6/10