alternatives to main camping - what's left?

Guest robsmith82

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a whiz freedom last year till I dropped it (accidentally) down a long drop... However was so impressed by the wateraid model that I've bought a pstyle (google it) and its so much easier to use (especially if wearing trousers - no undressing necessary) that I'm a total convert!-

Wouldn't totally discount the hotel option if camping really isn't your thing and can be a lot cheaper than the fuel and hire costs of a vehicle.

Stopped in a few round the festival and can get a weeks stay for two for between £350 -£500. If your near Glastbury town there is a shuttle bus every hour till late and it's only £4 and the walk from the main stages to the bus station isn't too bad, and taxi can be cheaper if there are a group of you

Speaking to hotel owners the festival isn't the boom you would think so prices aren't that steep. Clearly most people stop on site and tourists tend to stay away that week as they think it will be traffic chaos

Edited by phil the shrew

I never really understand the whole needing a shower / wash me hair / cant use that toilet bollox that some girls have issues with at festivals, me and my pal, we just go to the nearest toilet, got better things to be doing than searching for a nice toilet. Use wet wipes every morning for a wash, feel well refreshed, and as long as I can brush my teeth I'm grand. Maybe as I've been camping / doing festivals for years you just get used to it, or maybe its coz me and me pal are the only girls in our group that we just get on with it, as boys do.

Surely if you are that desperate for a shower / straighten you hair etc maybe Glastonbury inst the place for you.....I realise I am going to get grief for that statement, but just a thought

I never really understand the whole needing a shower / wash me hair / cant use that toilet bollox that some girls have issues with at festivals, me and my pal, we just go to the nearest toilet, got better things to be doing than searching for a nice toilet. Use wet wipes every morning for a wash, feel well refreshed, and as long as I can brush my teeth I'm grand. Maybe as I've been camping / doing festivals for years you just get used to it, or maybe its coz me and me pal are the only girls in our group that we just get on with it, as boys do.

It always astonishes me how much people are willing to pay for a tent when there are plenty of bed and breakfast options within walking distance of the festival.

"I stayed in a yurt darling and they served this wonderful organic granola for breakfast. Its Keenwa darling Keen-waa"

1500 quid to stay in a fancy tent with a slightly nicer porterloo, or £80 a night for an actual double bed, bathroom and breakfast each morning?

And its the tent which people go for every time.

Bare in mind there are showers at glasto, just a very very long wait it seems, or though could be a chance for some `me` time for you while shes lining up haha.

I remember them last year, the showers just outside one of the family camping areas? next to a kids playground it looked like? they had a little cafe there that did free tea and coffee we made a stopoff every morning to wake up a bit and always had a bit of a laugh at those lining up for longer then an hour or so just to have a shower......espcially on the day when it had rained the night before and theyd have had to trek back through the mud to get back to tent anyway!

Wet wipes are the way forward, quick private wet wipe wash in the tent every morning, bit of deodorant and it couldnt have been to bad as the wife didnt cower away when I got back! haha

Having missed out on campervan tickets (don't ask, it involved a mixup regarding registration expiry dates, late ticket buying, blah blah blah) and not expecting to get one, combined with my advancing years, I'm keen for tips on the 'quiet' areas to camp this year.

Each year I find myself more and more at odds with the activities in the traditional spots!

Any recommendations hugely appreciated! :bye:

Having missed out on campervan tickets (don't ask, it involved a mixup regarding registration expiry dates, late ticket buying, blah blah blah) and not expecting to get one, combined with my advancing years, I'm keen for tips on the 'quiet' areas to camp this year.

Each year I find myself more and more at odds with the activities in the traditional spots!