Not sold out, why?

SERRIDGER

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't choose Macklemore because (although I think he's terrible), he appeals to a wide/r audience than Jake Bugg and is pretty big

I would have thought R&L fans would be more outraged that Macklemore is that high, but they both are a bit high there.

I'd be happy if Jake Bugg stayed at Reading tbh

Id like to see him one day, but I wouldnt want to see him sub or headline. Middle of the day when nothing else is on to clash with, that would be ideal Now it wont ever happen

Saw Jake Bugg at Glasto on the pyramid last year (apparently drew the biggest crowd of the day), I thought he was pretty dire and HAIM who were on before him were a lot better.

Bigger crowd than the Arctics? Really?? And yet the guy can't even sell out a single Arena show in his hometown, madness.

Going to Reading but I shall be avoiding him like the plague, boring little nause. Think BBC might get the most oversized crowd of the weekend up against him.

Used to be my festival of choice for years...and had some great times. Gradually realised though the line-up quality was decreasing, the price was shooting up and spending 2 days constantly getting 'sold at' wasn't the best use of a weekend. Literally everything there is designed to try and get you part with your money....and the amount of people they cram into every inch of the site was ridiculous. Plus there are only so many times you can see KOL/Killers etc etc.

Having spread my festival wings in the last 7 or 8 years, I'm of the opinion that V can be considered a festival to the same extent that accidentally banging your groin against the seat in front on the bus can be classed as having sex...(the basics are there but there is a huge amount missing).

That said, I hope everybody going has a lovely time

Edited by Flaminglippy

Used to be my festival of choice for years...and had some great times. Gradually realised though the line-up quality was decreasing, the price was shooting up and spending 2 days constantly getting 'sold at' wasn't the best use of a weekend. Literally everything there is designed to try and get you part with your money....and the amount of people they cram into every inch of the site was ridiculous. Plus there are only so many times you can see KOL/Killers etc etc.

Having spread my festival wings in the last 7 or 8 years, I'm of the opinion that V can be considered a festival to the same extent that accidentally banging your groin against the seat in front on the bus can be classed as having sex...(the basics are there but there is a huge amount missing).

That said, I hope everybody going has a lovely time

I agree with a lot apart from the 'being sold to' bit. It's the same as the real world unless you have no tv, internet or radio and wear a blindfold. You only notice it if you hate capitalism with an absolute passion (Glastonbury is the exception rather than the rule). I just bought some drinks, bit of food and watched some of my favourite bands last year, didn't feel any real sales pressure as I just ignored it.

....controversially watched all those bands with a much much livelier crowd than Glastonbury

Edited by efcfanwirral

I think V is a nice 'starter' festival for a lot of people. It's not really a great one, but they insist on charging 200 quid for only two days. Plus, aside from Timberlake, it could be a line up from any of the previous twelve years. YAWN.

Seriously though, there are a lot better festivals around these days, for the same amount of money and for more days, with a more extensive set list.

I remember going in 2006 just for Radiohead and I felt like I was at a Top of the Pops party. Terrible atmosphere.

I agree with a lot apart from the 'being sold to' bit. It's the same as the real world unless you have no tv, internet or radio and wear a blindfold. You only notice it if you hate capitalism with an absolute passion (Glastonbury is the exception rather than the rule). I just bought some drinks, bit of food and watched some of my favourite bands last year, didn't feel any real sales pressure as I just ignored it.

....controversially watched all those bands with a much much livelier crowd than Glastonbury

Compared to other festivals it was far more corporate...the big screens between bands for example, if you were lucky you got 1 song followed by 5 ads...if you were unlucky it was 6 ads. Or if you were really, really, really unlucky a Lily Allen song followed by another Lily Allen song

I think V is a nice 'starter' festival for a lot of people. It's not really a great one, but they insist on charging 200 quid for only two days. Plus, aside from Timberlake, it could be a line up from any of the previous twelve years. YAWN.

Seriously though, there are a lot better festivals around these days, for the same amount of money and for more days, with a more extensive set list.

I remember going in 2006 just for Radiohead and I felt like I was at a Top of the Pops party. Terrible atmosphere.

What do you mean it could be a line up from any of the past 12 years?

There maybe are 'better' festivals out there but V is great for the people it tries to target and sells just as well as most other major fests, glasto aside.

I didnt think the atmosphere was bad when I went last year, it was like a party for 12 hours especially on the sunday night with Calvin Harris.

Compared to other festivals it was far more corporate...the big screens between bands for example, if you were lucky you got 1 song followed by 5 ads...if you were unlucky it was 6 ads. Or if you were really, really, really unlucky a Lily Allen song followed by another Lily Allen song

I tended not to stare at the big screens while everything was being changed, I either talked or we wnt to another stage so the ads didnt really affect me. It was good hearing the Calvin Harris crowd sing 'Get Lucky' when it came on the screen though.

Something else occurred to me as I've read through the posts on here, there's absolutely no entertainment after the bands have finished. IOW and Glastonbury both roll on into the ealry hours of the morning with lots of bars to go to, V on the other hand dies a death, this is part of the reason why V ist the only festival I don't camp at. When you compare it to these two festivals, V really is poor value for money.

Must try harder would be the commet on it's school report

Edited by SERRIDGER

Something else occurred to me as I've read through the posts on here, there's absolutely no entertainment after the bands have finished. IOW and Glastonbury both roll on into the ealry hours of the morning with lots of bars to go to, V on the other hand dies a death, this is part of the reason why V ist the only festival I don't camp at. When you compare it to these two festivals, V really is poor value for money.

Must try harder would be the commet on it's school report

The line up for IOW is pretty poor value for money, barring the headliners and subs theres not much thats worth paying for. Most of the entertainment I need is back at the campsite anyway so I dont mind really. I would like to see the music go on for longer but I wouldnt really stick around if it was just a film on or something

The line up for IOW is pretty poor value for money, barring the headliners and subs theres not much thats worth paying for. Most of the entertainment I need is back at the campsite anyway so I dont mind really. I would like to see the music go on for longer but I wouldnt really stick around if it was just a film on or something

Arcadia and Shangri La are better than back at the campsite i can assure u

Also u take about IOW being poor value for money!!! But stick up for V!!!! Christ

Edited by sisco

Have felt the OTT security in recent years has been more to do with selling expensive food and drink in the arena than any real plan to clamp down on people throwing bottles at bands.

Had a big argument last summer at Weston park with security for trying to "smuggle" two small bottles of coke into the arena - despite them being on the top of my rucksack.

Wouldn't mind so much but when the idiots start chucking fluid filled cups around security just stand there doing nothing.

Arcadia and Shangri La are better than back at the campsite i can assure u

Also u take about IOW being poor value for money!!! But stick up for V!!!! Christ

Yes at no point did I mention glasto's after hours schedule, all I was saying is I dont really miss anything to do after the bands finish.

Also you spelt alot wrong there but I get what you are saying, I was commenting on the line up being poor value which I think it is. Apart from the top 3 acts each day (2 on sunday) I dont think there is anyone worth paying more than 15 pound for and I include Passenger in that, and people around here know I like him. So yeah I will stick by what I said that IOW has a line up which is lower value for money per day than V

Have felt the OTT security in recent years has been more to do with selling expensive food and drink in the arena than any real plan to clamp down on people throwing bottles at bands.

Had a big argument last summer at Weston park with security for trying to "smuggle" two small bottles of coke into the arena - despite them being on the top of my rucksack.

Wouldn't mind so much but when the idiots start chucking fluid filled cups around security just stand there doing nothing.

Yeah security can be abit funny, depends who you get really. Last year I had someone check my unopened bottle of water to check it wasnt vodka, he smelt it with the lid still on and said oh its okay go on in

Yes at no point did I mention glasto's after hours schedule, all I was saying is I dont really miss anything to do after the bands finish.

Also you spelt alot wrong there but I get what you are saying, I was commenting on the line up being poor value which I think it is. Apart from the top 3 acts each day (2 on sunday) I dont think there is anyone worth paying more than 15 pound for and I include Passenger in that, and people around here know I like him. So yeah I will stick by what I said that IOW has a line up which is lower value for money per day than V

Bless ya. Have a look through this message and work out what i spelt wrong too will u.

Sorry u know best. Value for money my arse.

And u made a comment about late night entertainment. Thats why i mentioned Glasto.

Bless ya. Have a look through this message and work out what i spelt wrong too will u.

Sorry u know best. Value for money my arse.

And u made a comment about late night entertainment. Thats why i mentioned Glasto.

What are you on about? The person that I quoted was talking about the after hours entertainment I was just giving them my opinion, same as I gave my opinion on the IOW line up. V is over priced for what it offers, but I dont see that as a huge problem. I dont mind paying £250 for a good weekend at V