City Of Culture 2017 is...... Hull!

Guest t8yman

Hulls a cracking place - working there a fair bit at the mo so spending time up there. Some great proper pubs in the old town and the people are really friendly.

They dont seem to understand the idea of restaurants though. Getting some scran after work is the devils own job unless you want takeaway.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

theres loads of great restaurants matey, depends where you are looking? and what times. we are sadly lacking behind the likes of manchester and leeds, but we do have some gems. if you tell me what you are interested in, I might be able to give you some pointers. I supply a few of em!

Best Indian in town IMHO is raj pavilion, it's at the top end of Beverley road, the Wellington pub is not far and it has the best selection of beers in the city, and "the lamp" has just reopened which is a great live music venue. All 3 are within 5 minutes walk of each other. Princes avenue is a great location too, "Pave" is my pick, but most of the pubs and eateries are great- about £5 in a cab from holiday inn. The city centre has long since had its day as a destination. Keep an eye out for shows on at "fruit" which is a 5 min walk from your hotel, it's a great little "pop up" type venue.

Best Indian in town IMHO is raj pavilion, it's at the top end of Beverley road, the Wellington pub is not far and it has the best selection of beers in the city, and "the lamp" has just reopened which is a great live music venue. All 3 are within 5 minutes walk of each other. Princes avenue is a great location too, "Pave" is my pick, but most of the pubs and eateries are great- about £5 in a cab from holiday inn. The city centre has long since had its day as a destination. Keep an eye out for shows on at "fruit" which is a 5 min walk from your hotel, it's a great little "pop up" type venue.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Absolutely over the moon that Siemens have finally signed on the dotted line.

http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/Siemens-Hull-310m-deal-signed-Prime-Minister/story-20846909-detail/story.html

this site is less than half a mile from where I type now. Hopefully this financially deprived area of the country can now see a huge resurgence. I really cant explain how much I have wished for this to happen. A thousand jobs initially, with an estimated further 10,000 in related infrastructure.

Absolutely over the moon that Siemens have finally signed on the dotted line.

http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/Siemens-Hull-310m-deal-signed-Prime-Minister/story-20846909-detail/story.html

this site is less than half a mile from where I type now. Hopefully this financially deprived area of the country can now see a huge resurgence. I really cant explain how much I have wished for this to happen. A thousand jobs initially, with an estimated further 10,000 in related infrastructure.

Its been a very long and drawn out process, lots of background negotiations, but the fact remains we are geographically perfect for the factory, the Humber is the deepest estuary in the country, and perfectly placed for the offshore wind farms around dogger bank, the site to be developed is empty and flat, and there is plenty of brown belt land around here. Its also perfect as a poster boy for the renewables industry, potentially turning an absolute economic disaster zone into a financial success story. Alan Johnson mentioned it was akin to the prosperity of oil in Aberdeen, whilst it might not be quite as lucrative - it certainly wont hurt.

Its been a very long and drawn out process, lots of background negotiations, but the fact remains we are geographically perfect for the factory, the Humber is the deepest estuary in the country, and perfectly placed for the offshore wind farms around dogger bank, the site to be developed is empty and flat, and there is plenty of brown belt land around here. Its also perfect as a poster boy for the renewables industry, potentially turning an absolute economic disaster zone into a financial success story. Alan Johnson mentioned it was akin to the prosperity of oil in Aberdeen, whilst it might not be quite as lucrative - it certainly wont hurt.

If you are going to the welly, there are a couple of decent areas not far away (about £4 in a cab) princes ave is a bit popular, some varied bars, my fave being Pave, but best spot would be Newland avenue, it's kinda the most popular area in the city at the mo. Larkins have got some great beers and often have beer festivals, roots is a great Rum bar with good West Indian food and reggae if that's your thing. Tofts is a big popular place, and there are loads of smaller quirky bars dotted all over. It's a very safe area too, very close to the uni The city centre is often populated by knobheads looking for a brawl.