Coachella 2014.

Guest Matt42

I don't think Justice will be back again. They've played like 4 times in the last 6 years. Interpol just played in 2011, as did Arcade Fire. I actually think Arcade Fire could play again next year, but I can totally see them playing in a small tent as a 'surprise' set, maybe under a different name. They seem to enjoy doing that kind of thing...and Arcade Fire and Goldenvoice seem to have a really great relationship.

As far as the third headliner goes, I wouldn't be surprised if they put up QOTSA. People here love them. None of us has heard any rumblings around the third headliner at all. I'm guessing they're doing their usual play for Bowie (99% sure that will be unsucessful) and then they'll start working their way down the list.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see Timberlake. I've seen him before and he puts on a great show. Definitely don't see it being either Jay Z or Kanye, since the other two headliners are both repeats, and having Jay Z or Kanye would mean that there would three repeat headliners in 2014.

I get the feeling that Paul is trying to go back to his eclectic, early-days-of-the-festival roots and get acts that he likes, versus acts that the general L.A. douchebags like. Which explains why this last lineup was not top heavy but very heavy on the undercard (I mean, Sparks? Who else has ever gotten those guys?) This last year's undercard was the best one I've ever seen him put up. He has publicly said before that one of his dream headliners is Iron Maiden. I'd seriously run around my house in excitement if I saw Iron Maiden on the poster.

Edited by jadel74

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think Justice will be back again. They've played like 4 times in the last 6 years. Interpol just played in 2011, as did Arcade Fire. I actually think Arcade Fire could play again next year, but I can totally see them playing in a small tent as a 'surprise' set, maybe under a different name. They seem to enjoy doing that kind of thing...and Arcade Fire and Goldenvoice seem to have a really great relationship.

As far as the third headliner goes, I wouldn't be surprised if they put up QOTSA. People here love them. None of us has heard any rumblings around the third headliner at all. I'm guessing they're doing their usual play for Bowie (99% sure that will be unsucessful) and then they'll start working their way down the list.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see Timberlake. I've seen him before and he puts on a great show. Definitely don't see it being either Jay Z or Kanye, since the other two headliners are both repeats, and having Jay Z or Kanye would mean that there would three repeat headliners in 2014.

I get the feeling that Paul is trying to go back to his eclectic, early-days-of-the-festival roots and get acts that he likes, versus acts that the general L.A. douchebags like. Which explains why this last lineup was not top heavy but very heavy on the undercard (I mean, Sparks? Who else has ever gotten those guys?) This last year's undercard was the best one I've ever seen him put up. He has publicly said before that one of his dream headliners is Iron Maiden. I'd seriously run around my house in excitement if I saw Iron Maiden on the poster.

Edited by dentalplan

Definitely agree that the Replacements are probably in the mix. I keep hoping for the Avalanches since they 'reunited' a few years ago but they haven't pulled them yet. There are some weird ones that Paul hasn't gotten and none of us really knows why. It's odd that Underworld hasn't played since 2003, and most of us are sort of flummoxed that he's never gotten Pearl Jam to play. Maybe he's just not a fan.

It's interesting that Coachella became so popular in the first place because they were known for getting music-nerd type acts that other festivals didn't get (not to mention they always seemed to be the ones to land the 'big' or 'surprise' reunion act). And now that they're huge, they are still doing it, but the smaller festivals don't have any pull and can't pull off the same kinds of things. Fun Fun Fun fest in Austin is sort of an exception--they always seem to get acts that other festivals don't.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I haven't heard anything new. But for all I know, they're spreading the 'no, not playing' rumor so it'll be a surprise on the poster. *shrugs*.

If they are looking at festivals, I can't imagine anyone else in the US would get them before Coachella, honestly. As far as I know, DP and Goldenvoice have a really good relationship; GV have been offering them tons of money every year for the last several years, and they have 'changed their minds' after saying yes twice.

I haven't heard anything new. But for all I know, they're spreading the 'no, not playing' rumor so it'll be a surprise on the poster. *shrugs*.

If they are looking at festivals, I can't imagine anyone else in the US would get them before Coachella, honestly. As far as I know, DP and Goldenvoice have a really good relationship; GV have been offering them tons of money every year for the last several years, and they have 'changed their minds' after saying yes twice.

I don't think Eminem and Coachella go together at all. There's very little indie cred there and if he costs as much as is rumoured for R+L then that's $10m for a headliner for a festival that sells out instantly and prefers to spread it's money across the lineup. If they fork out the big bucks it will be for something that turns heads like Daft Punk or reforming a defunct band, rather than just Eminem touring an album and doing his medleys.

Edited by dentalplan

I don't think Eminem and Coachella go together at all. There's very little indie cred there and if he costs as much as is rumoured for R+L then that's $10m for a headliner for a festival that sells out instantly and prefers to spread it's money across the lineup. If they fork out the big bucks it will be for something that turns heads like Daft Punk or reforming a defunct band, rather than just Eminem touring an album and doing his medleys.

• 2 weeks later...