NEXT GEN CONSOLES

The Nal

i have a laptop for a computer and guess what? that's portable so no thanks.

they have just become high spec computers with gaming capabilities.

don't want either and will just keep my ps3 as long as they keep releasing games on it.

Edited by lharris92

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm undecided. The EA exclusivity for FIFA 14 Ultimate Team will ruffle a few feathers.

At the end of the day its gonna be about the games, and if they can run the version of BF4 that was in the 17 minute reveal video, I'll deffo be buying either the ps4 or the xbox one. It does look impressive in terms of capabilities, and the preowned thing doesnt really bother me too much, but I probably only buy 4 or 5 games a year these days anyway. Its very possible that my buying decision will be based upon the controller, because the "girl hands" PS controllers of the current gen don't attract me at all.

A good quality kinect doesnt deserve all the shit it gets, the main reason it got all the shit it did was because of how woefully underpowered it ended up being because of the limitations on the 360 with regard to data transfer speeds. An HD kinect could be very interesting. and the skype capability will be a big selling point for a lot of people.

E3 is going to be very very interesting this year.

Well, Ive read a little more on the subject of XBOX One, and it isnt getting any better for MS IMHO.

The "pre-owned" furore is proving to be a bit of a disaster from a PR point of view. First it looked like preowned would be impossible, then it looks like pre-owned is possible, but MS intend to use some kind of "online pass" method to transfer ownership of the game license. and its still no clearer.

Joystiq's coverage is particularly brutal, with the headline simply "oh dear"

http://kotaku.com/that-xbox-one-reveal-sure-was-a-disaster-huh-509192266

and after reading it, I can only really agree with most of their points. The fact that Kinect HAS to be connected is an issue, as an HD camera with microphone that is "always on" should be a real worry for anyone, "privacy policy" or not.

I think MS have really shot themselves in the foot here, I have also read that many pre owned game stores saw their stock price drop by about 20% when the preowned status became increasingly foggy.

It appears that MS are aiming this machine at developers and studios, with the consumer being their "product", and for this - I hope they fail miserably.

I don't really think I will be getting either next gen console, I hardly play my PS3 now as it is.. and the prices being mentioned for both the PS4 and XBOX One are too much for a very casual gamer like myself.

The expected prices are pretty much inline with where they were last time round, but I get your point.

I'm very much undecided. Because I know that one "must buy" game could see me buying a console, case in point being wipeout on the PS3.

Edited by t8yman

The lack of backwards compatibility is not really an issue for me. The 360 was sort of backwards compatible but it was crap. I'd prefer them to not bother than to do a shitty job of it like they did last time. The Mega Drive wasn't backwards compatible with the Master System. It was never a problem back then, why is it now?

Not being able to play second hand games (without buying some sort of pass) is crap.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-05-22-phil-harrison-tries-again-to-clarify-game-ownership-second-hand-sales-and-always-online-in-xbox-one

"Our goal is to make it really customer-centric, really simple and really understandable and we will announce those details in due course."

It already is really simple! You go into a shop, buy a second hand game, put it in your xbox and play it. What they are actually doing is making it really complicated and more expensive.

The TV stuff (which seems to be the main feature Microsoft are pushing) is only going to work in the US as far as I can tell.

I have said on several occasions that I would never buy anything from Sony ever again, but at the moment I am erring more towards the PS4. I am still more interested in what the Steam Box is going to be like though.

Sony fan boys :lol: PS4 announcement was basically the same crap.

At the moment both consoles pretty much suck big time with all this "extra" stuff. I don't think we can hate that much on the pre-owned stuff from a business point of view it makes sense. (Maybe I am not looking hard enough, but it just seems like places like Game seem to charge slightly under RRP for the games anyway..and I'd rather that money went to the developers of the game.)

Was underwhelmed mostly, I think the gesture and switching thing is neat as well as the NFL partnership...lots of cool tidbits but my god ...lets talk about the games a little more?! Hopefully E3 will be the announcements for the gamers amongst us :lol:

I'd be unplugging the xbox most of the time when I am not using it I think with the Kinect always on :P

I can't remember where I read it, but apparently that fee thing is taken from an interview that is incorrect? there is something to be announced with pre owned games but it may not be a process which involves a fee, from a certain viewpoint I can see why they are doing it, yeah second hand games boosts sales for game shops but developers don't see any of it. I only buy games new much like I only buy CDs new because I try to do as much as I can to not kill of an industry I enjoy.

I agree with gay tent though monkey island and fate of atlantis were the pinnacle of games for me, back when killing shit wasn't the only objective in a game.

yeah second hand games boosts sales for game shops but developers don't see any of it

Why should they? The player who sold the game can no longer play it. Ownership has been transferred, so the same number of copies of the game exist.

The argument about second hand sales killing the industry only comes up in entertainment industry. No-one complains about being able to buy or sell other second hand goods.

if people dont buy the new consoles, they will be forced to continue to develop for the current gen. although I know its unlikely to happen, but gamers have a chance to vote with their wallets here.

from what I have heard and read, the "license" to transfer ownership of a title will be about the same as buying the full price game, so effectively 2nd hand games will disappear entirely.

I too dont really mind the used game thing, because I choose my games rarely and carefully, but its obviously a massive industry, and I dont see why the devs shouldnt get a cut, but really? full price? we have seen how xbl shafts people for content already. I have had a few occasions where I have thought "ooh, I just fancy playing x again, I'll see how much it is to buy the download only version" expecting a 30%-40% discount over the full priced, launch day price - but no, £39.99 for a game that was over a year old.

The reason there is so much confusion is that neither company - sony or MS, have got the balls to come out and say it - neither want a 2nd hand games market, and neither want to allow people to lend games to mates when they have finished them. I fully expect sony's wooliness over the issue to end up basically the same in the end.

The new consoles suck so bad people might actually start buying the Wii U again for the total lack of bullshit and the fact it will have some worthy games by the time the next gen hits.

Maybe.

I'll be waiting for the MK2 versions of XBox One and PS4 before buying either. It just seems to be the case that year one for any console is a waste of time and it's always better to NOT be an early adopter. I don't need to spend money on something that isn't technically 'complete' and I'll be fucked if I'm gonna pay over the odds for the privilege of being an unpaid beta tester for a giant corporation to iron out the kinks in a prototype that should have never got to the production line.

Back in the 80's the sort of shit we saw with this gen would have led to a product recall. Now it just gets patched or repackaged and sold back to us without so much as an apology. And we lap it all up. It seems as though we buy into hype so much we believe it's true so that when it's all inevitably disappointing we just don't see it. We just quell the emptiness by buying into more empty promises of something even better than the thing we were promised last time, a never ending cycle of carrots on sticks.

Wait for the games, wait for the price to fall, wait for the actual proper version of the console. Wait for something real to happen this time. If you forget about having the shiny new thing and live just out of synch with the worlds consumption of things you'd pick up most tech products, particularly video games for next to nothing.

Oh well come the launches there's still going to be queues of people stood in line ready to part with cash they don't actually have to get the newest shiny box for reasons they don't really understand.

Edited by Purple Monkey

very well put as usual PM, and I for one think I might just be heeding this advice.

My lad has only just got a 360, and as long as FIFA 14 comes out on the 360, he won't even want the new box. Plus like many others have said, I dont think I'm actually that bothered any more. Theres a massive catalogue of 360 games I still havent played/finished.

Just ordered a new memory card for my vita, 32gb from Amazon, its £54.99 which is the cheapest you'll find on the internet but you get a free FIFA 13 download with it, which you won't find anywhere a copy of FIFA for less than £20, the previous years is still like £10, so really I see it as £35 for the card and £20 for FIFA 13, which I wanted anyway.

You won't regret a Vita G-Stud, quality piece of kit mate! Only problem is memory cards being so expensive but hopefully they'll start coming down.

Nice one! I'm thinking I'll get PS+ when I do get one, for all the free games. And Persona 4 Golden has my interest piqued :)

I will be going for the xbox one when it comes out I think. Quite interested how COD will play with it's new engine on the x box new engine. Plus the fact COD get's its map packs first on xbox. Sick and tired of waiting for them on PS3.

I'm a marketers dream!!