Glastonbury -Can you do Fri-sunday or do you have to go for all of it?

Guest jillwilcock

Yes but .... If you get there late you'll struggle to find a spot for a tent. It's fairly rammed by Wednesday night. Obviously you can leave whenever you want.

A couple of days at Glasto is hardly worth it, there's so much to do and see quite apart from the music. We go Tuesday to the following Monday and still can't fit a lot in.

You can, but many festival goers regard wednesday and thursday as their favourite days to be there - as well as having to pitch up in the brown mess outside a 'long drop', you might end up missing the point of the festival in some ways.

You can, but many festival goers regard wednesday and thursday as their favourite days to be there - as well as having to pitch up in the brown mess outside a 'long drop', you might end up missing the point of the festival in some ways.

I arrived Friday last in 2010. Would obviously be better to arrive Wednesday but couldn't take any more time off work. Left Monday morning. I'd much rather have 3 days and nights at Glastonbury than none. If you've got kids that need looked after, I don't think there's anything wrong with your plan.

Funding a camping spot was no problem. We arrived on shuttle bus with no queuing and walked straight through pedestrian gate A I think. Stewards pointed our where camping spaces were. Got a spot within 5 mins near pylon fields. Only 5 mins walk from dance village and JP tent. Long walk back from the late night areas but no problems.

By Friday you are so ground into the glastonbury way of life that any priority you had before the festival is long forgotten.

There are places you would be able to camp that aren't too crowded. I understand that the new camping ground by the main gate (the one by the festival bus station) was fairly roomy last year. It used to be that alot of people turned up on Thursday and Friday, but in the last few years more and more (now basically everyone) turns up on the Wednesday and does the full experience.

The first time I camped at glastonbury we arrived about teatime on Thursday, pitched on fairly free ground at the bottom of webb's ash and people kept pitching up around us all the way through til during the night Friday night/Saturday morning.

If you know people who are going to be there, you could also get them to take your tent and pitch it for you.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

TAKE THE KIDS! and pay for a ticket for your babysitter so you can go mental after kids bed time. you will miss lots of stuff if you just do it for the weekend. you will miss loads even if you do the full stretch, but weds and thurs are nice to chill and explore, and there is still loads to do. The kids field (if i remember correctly) not opend on Thursday smile.png

You will kick yourself if you:

a. didnt take the kids and

b. only went for the 3 days

smile.png

Edited by funkyuk

• 7 months later...

you can quite rightly turn up for a 12.30 rolf harris slot, watch him work the didgeridoo and go home as everything else will simply be a let down from there. many of folk get caught out by the genius of the rolf year after year.

you can quite rightly turn up for a 12.30 rolf harris slot, watch him work the didgeridoo and go home as everything else will simply be a let down from there. many of folk get caught out by the genius of the rolf year after year.

• 10 years later...

Just posting here to see if some of you can help me explain it better words than I have been able to. I’m trying to convince my mate & his mrs that attending for 3 days  Friday/Sunday isn’t the end of the world. 3 couples have already been previous but the 4th this would their first time but they can leave on the Thursday due to work so would have to arrive Friday morning. 

But because they can’t they are leaning toward saying no, as they want to do it properly & think they’ll miss out. 

I’ve tried to explain that it’ll leave you wanting more to come back again & that no one sees everything the first time 

but I don’t think I’m explaining well enough. 

Finding a camping spot won’t be an issue it’s the missing out how do I explain that they’ll still have a brilliant time even if they are late. 

obviously this is all dependant on if we are successful in getting tickets 

2 minutes ago, incident said:

Think I agree with them, tbh. For a first time, do it properly and have at minimum a large chunk of Thursday (ideally more) to explore.

The problem with that is guaranteeing that everyone is the position to do it again you can’t and I don’t want them thinking maybe next year and then next year never happens for the sake of 24hours 

22 hours ago, Rodders2023 said:

The problem with that is guaranteeing that everyone is the position to do it again you can’t and I don’t want them thinking maybe next year and then next year never happens for the sake of 24hours 

I'd explain to them that the hardest part of "doing Glasto" is getting a ticket so putting it off and off is not the answer. If them and your other friends manage to secure a ticket, paying only a deposit at this stage, it becomes a question to be solved at a later date. Personally I think your friends sound a bit half-hearted about going.

On 10/27/2023 at 1:36 PM, Lycra said:

I'd explain to them that the hardest part of "doing Glasto" is getting a ticket so putting it off and off is not the answer. If them and your other friends manage to secure a ticket, paying only a deposit at this stage, it becomes a question to be solved at a later date. 

Agree with you - for any of us it's past the years where we have the luxury of picking between this year, next year, whenever - being successful for any year is a real blessing.