T in the Park 2013

Guest Chiefski

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well the T lineup was great in 2011.... and then it disintegrated (in terms of big hitters). I say the issue is that due to the fact T does not have the budget of Reading and Leeds or V, the loss of Oxygen is whats made the top order much weaker. Just my 2 cents.

Why would you assume that T doesn't have the budget of R&L? The three sites are roughly the same size, assuming sales are roughly the same in theory R&L will bring in roughly twice as much in ticket revenue but have to pay twice as much in overheads. I'd say that T would get more in sponsorship than R&L.

Surely not. Maybe this and the last 2 years but before that it was easy to sell your ticket at a profit. I'm only joshing anyways, although some of the later additions are good, I'm seeing them elsewhere and there is still not a single band on the line up that gets my juices flowing. There _is_ enough on the line up now to just about keep everyone interested now though, just nothing high order worth the big money.

Non T related but I'm looking for a big favour from you guys.

I'm in the running for winning Hospitality tickets to the Scottish cup final for me and my son, but with the voting not closing till 12pm tomorrow, I still desperately need votes.

If anyone would be so kind to click the link below, then select "vote" under my picture, I would be eternally grateful. It only takes 10 seconds. Cheers

/i09bAItK3Q

Why would you assume that T doesn't have the budget of R&L? The three sites are roughly the same size, assuming sales are roughly the same in theory R&L will bring in roughly twice as much in ticket revenue but have to pay twice as much in overheads. I'd say that T would get more in sponsorship than R&L.

Que?

T having a weaker line-up as it doesn't have a sister site to convince bands (financially or for the sake of promotional convenience) to play makes sense, but that isn't the same as saying that it is struggling compared to R&L/V as it has a smaller budget than R&L/V. Overall it may have a smaller budget (as it's only one site) but pro rata it's probably bigger, so money isn't the issue.

I think I get what you mean but it didn't come out the right way.

People are saying this (oxegen theory thing) like it's a new line of thinking :rolleyes:

People keep going on about undercards, fuck that. Undercards are what you go and see when you don't like the main stage line up. R/L this year has a main stage I would be happy to pay the full whack for. I'm not interested in anything else really. That's what T is missing, proper strong bands. It's ok saying "but I really like the lower order" but you are paying >£200 to see them at a place where great bands should be. You can see all of that lower order at other fests for half the price given one or 2 exceptions given the demise of Hop Farm.

I haven't noticed any discussion as to why NME have pulled the plug either? Tennents are next.

chuffed to see LtA announced - new album has seen them hit the ground running last year or two or so.

Mallory Knox are a fantastic up and coming band - boyo has some voice on them - i am sure they've been on the line up for ages before the announcement mind you though

The Oxygen thing is perhaps relevant to when the festival nosedived in the standard of acts booked. I think they shared acts with Sonisphere in 2011, and that was also gone last year.

If its reliant on having a sister festival to fund the big bands, then perhaps it needs to move its date to August and try and get acts from Reading and Leeds. There is also a better chance of good weather as June and July are often pissing down with rain in Scotland.

frankblack, on 22 May 2013 - 08:50 AM, said:

If its reliant on having a sister festival to fund the big bands, then perhaps it needs to move its date to August and try and get acts from Reading and Leeds. There is also a better chance of good weather as June and July are often pissing down with rain in Scotland.

Edited by mrtourette

But working with other festivals to attract bands to the UK is often a mutual partnership working together for the benefit of both. I strongly doubt that R&L would welcome T moving to August when it's already a competitor, especially to the Leeds leg. I imagine that Soni or Oxegen were happy working with T as even though as a result they shared some bands there was enough target demographic/geographical distance to prevent it seriosuly affect ticket sales. I doubt that was be the case with R&L, so I couldn't see either party welcomign even more competition that they already pose to each other (even without adding V into the mix, which you'd have to do).

Having T the same weekend as R/L just wouldn't work, imo. R/L already share some acts with festivals in europe that same week, along with this, you will have acts that are playing during the fringe/glasgow. Depending on where they move the location I wouldn't be surprised if they move to a later point in July to the same weekend as the restarted Oxegen