The Non-Headlining Acts 2013

Guest GlastoSimon

mmm i'm not likely to agree about the Pyramid on that one, yes the Other and JP are mainly Indie landfill but in 2011 on the Sunday we had, Laura Marling, Paul Simon, Bouncie, Plan B, hadly Indie landfil? Looking at previous years there has been a vast amount of variety for that stage at least.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope Glastonbury gets some classic rock next year. Spinal Tap and Slash were exciting bookings. Mid afternoon on the pyramid. It'll reduce the landfill. Black Stone Cherry would be an interesting act?

eh? :lol:

It's just variety on landfill, for those people who've got thoroughly bored with landfill but who don't have the imagination to find some decent music. :P

I don't think Glastonbury specifically sets out to book acts of a certain genre, and rightly so.
Oh, I wouldn't say it does. I'd say it happens by default, as it does for most festivals. The bookers know certain music more than they know others. They book what they know.

The fact of that gets proven by just how slow the bookers for so many fests have been in moving on with music fashions. They're stuck in that indie rut, because that's what they know.

Neil, genuine question. Where do you spend most time at the festival and what particular acts do you look out for? Who did you see and enjoy in 2011 for instance?

I spend most of my time around Jazzworld West Holts - tho not necessarily watching bands, tho most of the bands I see are on that stage.

I don't get to go solely by my personal tastes tho, cos efests gets to mean that I feel an obligation to put myself in many places just to get a feel of what's going on.

Do you think then that Little Dragon deserve a chance to play on one of the Pyramid for instance , certainly not indie landfill, though they probably won't because record sales and lack of promotion would determine that they were " not big enough", or are you thinking in terms of more roots stuff going by some of your earlier posts. I'm thinking purely Pyramid here.

Edited by ghandi

A quick run through suggests to me

eight out of the twenty four acts on pyramid would be indie landfill (u2, Morrissey, Biffy, Two Door, Metronomy, Coldplay, Elbow, Paolo Nutini)

nine out of twenty seven on other. (Mumford, Wombats, Vaccines, Naked And Famous, Brother, White Lies, Friendly Fires, Kaiser Chiefs, Bombay)

Where as I'd class twenty two out of the twenty four Pyramid mainstream, and twenty four out of twenty seven on other mainstream.

Going by this definition, all indie is "landfill indie" which it isn't. I view landfill indie as something that describes the uninspiring laddish indie of the mid-00s, e.g. The Enemy, Kooks, Razorlight, Pigeon Detectives, though it has seen somewhat of a recent resurgence with Wombats, TDCC and a few others.

Do you think then that Little Dragon deserve a chance to play on one of the Pyramid for instance , certainly not indie landfill, though they probably won't because record sales and lack of promotion would determine that they were " not big enough", or are you thinking in terms of more roots stuff going by some of your earlier posts. I'm thinking purely Pyramid here.

Going by this definition, all indie is "landfill indie" which it isn't. I view landfill indie as something that describes the uninspiring laddish indie of the mid-00s, e.g. The Enemy, Kooks, Razorlight, Pigeon Detectives, though it has seen somewhat of a recent resurgence with Wombats, TDCC and a few others.
Edited by sisco

i've always seen indie landfill as just standard, shit indie (all of those bands mentioned by chriseede are definitely in that category). just simple songs, that usually fit the standard 3 minute 30 second time frame, verse chorus verse, nothing much to them, and usually shit. The Vaccines and Two Door Cinema Club are the two that are currently reeking havoc that fit that description. maybe one or two songs that get stuck in your head for one reason or another, but all around, terrible

i've always seen indie landfill as just standard, shit indie (all of those bands mentioned by chriseede are definitely in that category). just simple songs, that usually fit the standard 3 minute 30 second time frame, verse chorus verse, nothing much to them, and usually shit. The Vaccines and Two Door Cinema Club are the two that are currently reeking havoc that fit that description. maybe one or two songs that get stuck in your head for one reason or another, but all around, terrible