Ticket sales slower this year ?

Guest thespiral

Quiet about the links to scientology? I thought their statement on the matter was pretty definitive and really should have put the matter to bed:

http://thefourohfive...-by-scientology

End of the Road has always had a strong connection with Bella Union, with Fleet Foxes and Explosions in the Sky both headlining before along with lots of other acts from that label playing every year. In fact the Bella Union curated day could well be the best individual day of music at End of the Road in all the years I've been going (in my opinion!) and is one of the reasons I'm so excited about the festival this year. Maybe I'm a hipster though! I've always despised the term hipster as it seems to have a different depending on who you talk to. This is an excellent cartoon illustrating that point: cofhdqm

Edited by ElGanzo

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just quickly on the Scientology: we know that Simon's parents/family members are Scientologists. They are the two directors who are also Scientologists.

Now it seems to me, if I was setting up a company, I might very easily ask family members to be directors. Especially if I was youngish and didn't know too many people with the right skills. It wouldn't necessarily mean that I endorsed all their personal beliefs. [incorrect speculation, see below]

Now if Simon or Sofia were Scientologists, we might expect that EoTR had more of a financial connection with the CoS, and that might be problematic. As it is, I'm not too worried :)

Edited by Infinite Jest

That Hipster cartoon is good. I genuinely had no idea what a Hipster was, or whether I am one. i seriously doubt i am in any way a hipster.

Having looked at the cartoon I am basically the guy at the far left pointing at the second guy :) In my mind I might be further along the continuum, but today I am suited, booted and driving my desk as usual.

Love a good festival though :):)

I am not wearing a tie today as it's too hot. Maybe that makes me a hipster in the business world!?!? In every day life, I'm number two, but I like/love the majority of the artists on the Bella Union roster. Such a quandary!

I also couldn't give a flying f**k about any Scientology connections. I'm just there for the music, and if those bands are getting paid out of my entrance fee, that'll do for me.

I am not wearing a tie today as it's too hot. Maybe that makes me a hipster in the business world!?!? In every day life, I'm number two, but I like/love the majority of the artists on the Bella Union roster. Such a quandary!

I also couldn't give a flying f**k about any Scientology connections. I'm just there for the music, and if those bands are getting paid out of my entrance fee, that'll do for me.

Anyway, I thought we are mostly British on this forum so why use that most American slang word Hipster (derived from the Williamsburg suburd of Brooklyn) when here in Britain they are (or were) referred to as Scenesters. Now lets put this discussion to bed please! (and talk about music and ale!)

Edited by Nigey_boy

Anyway, I thought we are mostly British on this forum so why use that most American slang word Hipster (derived from the Williamsburg suburd of Brooklyn) when here in Britain they are (or were) referred to as Scenesters. Now lets put this discussion to bed please!

it always used to be 'spin boys' in the UK.

But perhaps I'm just showing my age. :lol::lol:

Would really doubt if this Scientology thing has affected the festival at all.. Most people I know who went with us (for the first time) last year knew nothing about it!

More likely the general economy for the casual festival goer, and the increased capacity for the regular EOTR'er. In my humble opinion, or course.

As long as neither the shape-shifting lizard leaders of the world economies, or "Operating Thetan" world saviours interrupt my bloody music and ale, all will be good. OK, yes I did Wikipedia "Scientology". How sane people can even swallow that crap is beyond me. I always preferred Asimov.

Anyway, I thought we are mostly British on this forum so why use that most American slang word Hipster (derived from the Williamsburg suburd of Brooklyn) when here in Britain they are (or were) referred to as Scenesters. Now lets put this discussion to bed please! (and talk about music and ale!)

Likewise I couldn't give a toss about religious connections or so-called hipster pigeon-holed bands that no one has heard of (apparently) - All I know is that it is a really good line-up with under 10,000 people attending and 50 real ales FFS

That's fine. But some people do, especially when Scientology is involved. Rather than me sit here and preach why ANY involvement from Scientology is a bad thing, go and do some research on them. They are a bunch of evil, manipulating, homophobic, racist morons who cause a great deal of harm to many, many people.

I've been sitting here for f***ing ages trying to say something.

I used to love EoTR because I thought it was a small festival that was independant and run by people who love music. I also loved this forum, there are some great people on here and I have valued your input about music far more that EoTR.

Ever since they said that they would not increase capacity above 7k (?) and then did I have not felt the same trust in whoever runs EoTR, (which looks increasingly like a PR company rather than real people). I don't want to dwell on the pro's and cons of Scientology. As GM says make up your own minds. If it has any connection to scientology then I do not want my money to go there.

Having said that Mr PP loves EoTR, some very nice people go and it does have a few bands that I would like to see. I have earlybird tickets so I feel somewhat torn.

In answer to the original question...yes I would think some people might be put off by the connection to Scientology. And the lazy line-up, lack of funds, shit weather, hipsters, chatty twats, it being about family fun over music, all the bands I really wanted to see playing NDH instead etc blah blah blah isn't helping.

I won't say that this is my last post, but hope that you enjoy the festival this year, I am just going to go off and be grumpy.

xx

Edited by perfectpassion

That's fine. But some people do, especially when Scientology is involved. Rather than me sit here and preach why ANY involvement from Scientology is a bad thing, go and do some research on them. They are a bunch of evil, manipulating, homophobic, racist morons who cause a great deal of harm to many, many people.

Anyway.......just in case any influence is being sought........I shall make sure I shake my tush to John Grant, that I have some extremely unholy thoughts during First Aid Kit and if I do happen to give birth during Grandaddy I shall definitely take a shit load of drugs!!!!

Not that I disagree with you in the slightest but the singling out they get does seem to be a little unfair.......do a little research into how the Church of England became one of the richest and most influential organisations in the world while you're at it.........then look at the unimaginable harm it did to certain African nations......plus try and find out exactly how many paedophiles it protected from prosecution in the 50s and 60s (you won't be able to because it still won't tell the FUCKING truth).